We arrived to check-in at 3 PM on a Friday afternoon. The front desk told us that our room would be ready in a few minutes. We got our luggage out of the car so they could valet park it (only form of parking at the hotel) and a bellman put it on a cart. After 30 mins of watching people check-in and receive their room keys, I got back in line and once again asked about our room. Again, I was told it was not ready and to continue to wait. The bellman kept trying to get us to tell him what room we were in so he could get the luggage delivered, but we still did not know our room number. The bellman eventually told us to take our luggage off the cart.
I can only assume that because I made the reservation (King Bed) thru another website and not directly thru the hotel, they had a very "special" room they wanted to give us. After waiting an hour the manager said he would see what he could do and gave us another room. When we got to the room there were no towels. I called to request towels and was told they had done me a "favor" to get me in a room and they would get us towels when they became available. We did receive towels but no wash cloths. Check-in starts at 3pm at this hotel. We finally got in our room close to 4:30pm. I made the reservation 1 month before my arrival and prepaid, so I am not sure what their attitude of doing us a "favor" was all about. The valet attendants were very good and the bellman tried to help us, but was unsuccessful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Keeping it weird in style ever since we opened in 1924, thanks to the people of Austin who funded our construction! When we opened we were the tallest building in Austin at 10 stories tall. We have gotten a little taller, 15 stories currently, but the city has grown up around us over the years making us a hidden gem in the heart of downtown. We are located 1 block from 6th street, 3 blocks from the Capitol and walking distance to all the activities that make Austin the amazing city that it is. If you are looking for the true experience of Texas and Austin book a room with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your InterContinental Stephen F. Austin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Stephen f. Austin Hotel Austin
- Intercontinental Austin
- InterContinental Stephen F. Austin Texas