“Location, location, location: One block from Sixth Street”

InterContinental Stephen F. Austin
Ranked #11 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed on the 14th floor and the room decor was modern, new and cozy. Room was not huge (we had a standard), but perfect size for my husband and I. We loved the location - close enough to explore the city. Although it was one week after South by Southwest, we expected the price to go down a but sadly, price remained the same AND we had to pay for WIFI. The fitness facility is large, although the pool is a lap pool and cannot fit more than 2 people doing laps.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie B
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Thank you for the very helpful comments you left regarding your recent stay. Being an historic property, some of our guestrooms and common areas are not as large as we would like, and the pool area is certainly one we wish was a bit larger. Unfortunately we are limited to a lap pool, and I'm certainly pleased you were able to take advantage of it while you were our guest.

We appreciate your loyalty to IHG and hope to welcome you as our guest again in the near future!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,196)

Reviewed 13 April 2013

We chose this hotel because of the what the price included Happy Hour, Champagne Tea hour, deluxe room, breakfast and MOST importantly late check out (2 pm). I was completely disappointed that Do Not Disturb sign was not respect. I had called prior to arrival to ensure our late check would be honored and when we checked in. Maid came around 12:45 pm to remind od us of 2 pm check ignoring the DND sign. Then around 1 pm things became loud in hallway and in next room we could hear the doors banging loudly. We had not heard anyone in room before. We decided to exit room @ 1:20.

Three others issues: loud music from 6th street district, a/c noise, and TV channel weak (D TV). We stayed on 14th floor but music goes on until 2 am then you have to deal with a/c noise. Each time it turned on it woke you. My husband is a deep sleeper and it even kept him from getting a good nite sleep. Direct TV signal would go out often.

Staff was nice except for the one maid, rooms extremely clean and large, breakfast was good, gym clean, bed was heavenly, and location is great.

BTW Roaring fork which is connected to hotel has outstanding food.

Room Tip: Ask for interior room if you plan on sleeping.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zmkam
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Hello and thank you for your comments, both the flattering ones and the ones we need to "work on". I do apologize for the disturbance from our housekeeping staff and hallway, and I hope you are willing to give us a second chance, this time staying in a room away from our famous 6th Street! I will be sure to bring the issues you mentioned to the appropriate departments here.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

This is the perfect location to stay for exploring Austin. The hotel has it all - comfortable and well appointed rooms, wonderful restaurant, valet parking, and if you are lucky enough to be on a club level floor you get access to the club room. The club room has free WiFi, a full breakfast and snacks and beverages through the afternoon and evening.

The only complaint I would have is that for the price paid for the room and quality of the hotel the entire hotel should provide free WiFi - why nickel and dime guests for access.

Room Tip: The free perks are worth being paying a bit more for club level rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

We certainly appreciate the kind comments you have shared! And yes, at this time we are charging for Internet except for the Club floors; not a popular decision but at the time it is one that we much abide by. Thank you again for the feedback, and take care.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

The hotel has done a great job on its remodeling and the rooms look fantastic. They are comfortable and beautiful. I love that they kept a great deal of the original detail like the Texas Star on the beds.

The hotel has a great restaurant inside that I always enjoy.

Staff is excellent and helpful. Club Lounge is great for breakfast. Location of the hotel is very convenient to all in Austin.

Room Tip: You should make sure you ask for and get a newly remodeled room!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments! We are so proud of our newly remodeled hotel. I do hope we are able to welcome you back one day!

Reviewed 2 April 2013

I love this hotel. Sometimes the rates don’t love me and I have to stay elsewhere on business, but occasionally I get lucky and the price is right.

This downtown IC is simply charming. It has a days-gone-by ambiance. The rooms are not huge, but to me feel rather cozy. I’ve stayed several times where I was upgraded to a suite, with French doors separating the bedroom from the parlor. I’ve always been pleased with the comfort and cleanliness of the room.

I’ve tried both the Roaring Fork Restaurant next door to the hotel, and I’ve been several times to the Stephen F Lounge. The Roaring Fork was great, and I also really enjoyed the hotel lounge. Don’t hesitate to try either one. That said, there are so many great options to dine in the area (this hotel is all about location) that you won’t have any trouble walking to find a restaurant or bar. This is a good thing, because the only parking is valet and it can be very crowded at times. I’ve found the valet to be efficient, but it is something to consider when staying at a downtown location.

On one of my stays I had an interesting thing happen. I received a phone call at 4:25AM from room service asking if I still wanted my large cup of coffee since I had a “do not disturb” sign on the door. I replied that I had the “do not disturb” sign on the door because I didn’t want to be disturbed - and that no, I had not ordered a coffee. The next day when I returned to the hotel from work I had a note of apology from the manager along with a lovely fruit/cheese tray and bottle of wine. That - is great customer service.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AnotherNiteOnTheRoad

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. AND for the lovely comments! We look forward to your next stay with us!

Take care.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Unfortunately I am writing this from another hotel since they were fully booked for the rest of my stay at SxSW.

Brand new, quiet rooms in the thick of downtown with everyone from the bellman to room service giving prompt, efficient and friendly service.

I would especially like to single out Marissa at the front desk who did her best to find me a room so that I wouldn't have to change hotels and always greeted my party with a smile. When I phoned home I was so effusive in my praise of the front desk staff my wife accused me of having a crush.

The second floor bar is great as well but it is small - so when the town is full like for South By you may have to go elsewhere. But other than that it was great place to stay my thanks to the staff for being so accommodating when my other reservation fell through.

Terence Craig

Room Tip: Rooms on the 14th floor are brand new and well appointed.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Hello and thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing out property. We are so pleased that you found our property acceptable, and for the kind words about not only about our renovation but our wonderful staff as well! We appreciate your comments and your loyalty to InterContinental Hotels.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

We arrived to check-in at 3 PM on a Friday afternoon. The front desk told us that our room would be ready in a few minutes. We got our luggage out of the car so they could valet park it (only form of parking at the hotel) and a bellman put it on a cart. After 30 mins of watching people check-in and receive their room keys, I got back in line and once again asked about our room. Again, I was told it was not ready and to continue to wait. The bellman kept trying to get us to tell him what room we were in so he could get the luggage delivered, but we still did not know our room number. The bellman eventually told us to take our luggage off the cart.
I can only assume that because I made the reservation (King Bed) thru another website and not directly thru the hotel, they had a very "special" room they wanted to give us. After waiting an hour the manager said he would see what he could do and gave us another room. When we got to the room there were no towels. I called to request towels and was told they had done me a "favor" to get me in a room and they would get us towels when they became available. We did receive towels but no wash cloths. Check-in starts at 3pm at this hotel. We finally got in our room close to 4:30pm. I made the reservation 1 month before my arrival and prepaid, so I am not sure what their attitude of doing us a "favor" was all about. The valet attendants were very good and the bellman tried to help us, but was unsuccessful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TennisPal

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us. We are so sorry for the problems you encountered at check-in. It must have been very frustrating and I can assure you it is not the norm. I do hope we are able to welcome you back so may experience the difference! Thank you for your patronage.