“Great place to be iced in!!!!”

InterContinental Stephen F. Austin
Ranked #11 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Great place to be iced in!!!!”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We were in Austin, the end of Jan, visiting our two daughters and son-in-law. We love this hotel!!! We arrived on a Thursday night and schools closed the next day, b/c of freezing rain and ice. We were very happy and warm, in our wonderful, upgraded suite, on the top floor!!!! It was fabulous!!! We did make it to Violet Crown (awesome movie theater, if you have never been there) and then our kids all met us for dinner at the hotel's Roaring Fork. We had the greatest waiter, from New Orleans, who moved there, after Katrina. Since we are from Louisiana, we had a tender spot for him!!! He was excellent and all of our food was delicious. We have eaten at Roaring Fork in Scottsdale and it is always good. Their pork is too die for. My daughter had a steak, that she said was the best she has ever had. Every employee is incredibly warm, friendly and accomodating. If I had to make one negative comment, it would be that our room was behind the elevator and the whirring noise did bother us. We managed, by using ear plugs, but next time I would probably ask for a different room location, even though I would hate to give up that suite!!!! We also missed sitting out on the terrace bar, due to the cold weather, so will definitely stay there again, the next time we are in town!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank djwharrison
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
When I saw the caption of your survey I just smiled....we don't often get ice storms to the extent of the one you experienced; that was a doozy! So glad you were safe and sound here at the InterContinental Stephen F Austin, letting us take good care of you, and hope your trip back to LA was uneventful. Thank you so much for the great survey. We certainly do appreciate your taking time to write it, and look forward to seeing you again real soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Although e rooms could be slightly larger, they are beautifully appointed and quite comfortable. This hotels customer service is among the best in the industry. Every one on staff is professional, accommodating and goes way out of there way to feel cared for. They display a certain personal touch to everything to make you feel like a person / guest and not a number.

1 Thank Jimc82
We honestly do strive for excellent guest service Jimc82, and I can't tell you how very, very pleased we are to have met your needs. Thank you for taking time to let us know how we're doing, and do take care.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The quality of service and attention to detail for even a small business group were top notch. As an office manager who planned the event from across the country and wasn't going to be there first hand to ensure the retreat ran smoothly, Sherie Tester, the catering manager, took care of all my needs and concerns from the reservations, booking the proper size room, technical needs and overall on the spot service. I wish all my events ran this easily.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
I will be sure to tell Sherie how pleased you were with her, and it sounds like the entire experience here at the InterContinental. Sherie is a master at running a smooth event; thank you for mentioning her specifically, and we do appreciate your business. Take care.
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I've stayed in hotels across the country. And, this is one of the finest and freindliest staffs that I have ever encountered. The hotel itself is old, so the rooms are a bit small. But, they've all been redone. The beds are great, the rooms are quiet. The restaurant adjoining is great, as is the bar on the second floor. But, the real standout are the people. Friendly, attentive, even to the point of remembering your name. One night, after dropping my car at the valet, I realized that I might have left my jacket in the car. I told the staff that I'd check upstairs first, to see if I'd left it in the room. I decided not to trouble the valets and just get the jacket the next day. That night, as I returned from a restaurant that I'd walked to, the valet staff recognized and greeted me by name, said they had something for me, and handed me my jacket! Without even asking, they'd run up to the car to check. Amazing! This type of attentive service extended from the valets through the front desk, and to the servers in the bar. Great location, great hotel, but really great people!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JEH-BV
Thank you for that wonderful 5 Star review JEH-BV! To say we appreciate your kind words is an understatement. We take our AAA Four Diamond status very seriously, and knowing we met (and hopefully exceeded) your expectations, is fantastic! And one more thing, thank you for the shout out to our valets! They are the best, and I know they'll appreciate your kind words.

Hope to see you again real soon!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Had a great stay at the hotel - room was updated, comfortable and nicely appointed. All staff were extremely helpful, and Tammie helped me in a jam to get some materials prepared for my meetings. Like having restaurant in lobby and also near music and entertainment. I would will stay there again.

1 Thank leslie c
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you Leslie C, for that 5 Star review! You're right, Tammie is great and always at the ready for our guests; we appreciate you mentioning her specifically. I can't wait to let her know! Take care and hope to see you again very soon!
Abilene, TX
Reviewed 6 February 2014

and the front desk is very well trained. I was especially impressed by Jamiliah's interaction at checkout, seeming genuinely concerned when I said my stay was only "fine." Just stayed one night - and I have a lot of hotel stays from La Quinta to the Ritz - this falls in between, but closer to the Ritz. I stayed with points, but looking at the available rates I'd have to say take a good look at other nearby top-end hotels. Parking is over $35, which is higher than similar hotels in larger cities. Location is very convenient to 6th street activities and many government offices. Overall good experience - I would stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Jamiliah is simply a joy to be around, thanks for mentioning her specifically. We consider ourselves so fortunate to have great employees like her. Add that to a great historical property with a superb location and you can't go wrong! I can't do anything about your parking, unfortunately. Parking is at a premium in downtown Austin. But that aside, I do hope you come see us again the next time you leave Abilene headed for Austin! Take care.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I booked this hotel in January for 3 nights. The hotel was very nice and very conveniently located to all the attractions in the city. The rooms were very comfortable, big and spacious for 2 people. The bathroom was average. We didn't try to restaurants, but the food did look delicious. The elevators could use a upgrade. The lobby is very nice and the have coffee available in the morning and lemon water available in the afternoon. The hotel staff was very friendly and were able to answer all the questions we had about the area. The hotel is within walking distance from 6th street which is great if you want to go out at night.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hello and greetings from Austin, Texas! I would like to thank you for taking a moment to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We try to be every thing for every guest, and I'm glad we came close for you, LeeAnneNYC, but I'd love to find out how we can make your next stay with us a 5 Star! With that said, please reach out to the hotel directly so we can discuss your feedback. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Safe travels!