“Great City, Great Stay”

Ranked #11 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great City, Great Stay”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We came to Austin for getaway weekend. City was so active and clean. Hotel was clean and all of the staff was accomodating and friendly. The valet staff was fast an very welcoming as well as giving great recommendations for our visit. Definitely will return again:)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hello Nancy, from the InterContinental in Austin! We're so glad you chose us for your get-away weekend! Come on back real soon, we miss you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had a good experience here overall. The rooms were small, but updated nicely. Was here for a business meeting and the meeting staff did a good job setting up and refreshing the conference room regularly. The only food we had on site was during the day for the meeting, so never for dinner. Breakfast, lunch, and refeshments were nice.

I have only one complaint and this really isn't the hotel's fault. My room backed up to an alley. The garbage trucks started their pick up about 3 a.m. one morning. To say it was a noisy experience would be an understatment. I lost several hours of sleep over. So if you have a choice, try to get a room that overlooks anything but the alley.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Oh no, I'm so sorry for that noise issue! I'm sure that was frustrating, and I do apologize. I am glad though, that we met your expectations in all other areas. Our banquet folks are top notch, and I'll be glad to share your nice compliments with them and our culinary team as well! Hope to see you again soon, this time in a room AWAY from the alley! Take care.
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Very nice service, rooms are a little small but comfortable in a historic building, employees are very committed to give you a great service.
Location is the best close to everything, with a great variety of bars and restaurants a short walk away.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
You hit on all the areas we are most proud of: our guest service, our property and our location! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us here at the InterContinental, and look forward to welcoming you back real soon. Thank you.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

One Sunday night was wonderful,it would have been nice to spend longer. The staff was so accommodating in every encounter. The valet guys so helpful, front desk ,knowledgable and helpful to our every need,and the bartender well, they knew the right kind of wine to serve. The indoor pool and hot tub,so relaxing . The room is beautiful and comfortable . I will plan a trip with family to this hotel.

Room Tip: we where on top floor and the view was outstanding.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
We're thrilled you had such a wonderful, albeit short, stay with us! Now, we need to get you back so you can pick up where you left off! Thank you and take care.
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This place is more like atmosphere of Texans than the usual Intercontinental. The staff is more like succinct. Maybe because of my mother tongue which is not English, they were of a few words. However, anyhow it never means they were not kind, rather they were more straightforward and seemed proving them by their action. Before my stay, I received a couple of phone calls from the hotel because I made two different reservations for days. After brief conversation, they answered with “I will see what we can do for you.” and they proved it as follows.

1. Upon check-in, I was offered a corner view room facing the State Capitol which seems to be one of ‘good ‘rooms.

2. For some reasons, they missed my newspaper request for some reason at the second day. Then, with their apologies, they sent me all available newspapers.

3. Rather than enumerating a series of membership privileges available in this property, they readily prepared welcome stuffs in the second day of stay.
I think some of potential visitors might worry about the condition of the hotel. The Intercontinental Stephan F. Austin somehow is a bit old but well-renovated inside. For example, low-ceiling corridor and wood cab elevators show a hint of a timeless classic. In sum, the hotel is well-renovated without losing its character as well as its best location in Austin for business or tourism.

Now I live in Texas, and because of my occupation I visit Austin quite often. I will stick with the Intercontinental Austin when I need a stay in Austin because the place is proven optimum to me.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Greetings OneQC, from the InterContinental! We are humbled by your exceptional review, thank you! Now that you are a fellow Texan, we hope to see you often! Take care.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Stephan F Austin Hotel gets it right. This is a perfectly situated and easy to find downtown location, high quality accommodations which are as clean as clean can be, and best of all they employ an extremely well trained professional staff who know how to be helpful, are totally at your service, they personally recognize you by name, but are not intrusive. After a long day's work I was a bit tired so I ordered room service tonight, which was a big debate on its own because of the terrific Roaring Fork restaurant off the lobby which served last night's delicious dinner of cedar plank salmon. Dinner was delicious, hot and just as advertised. The person I spoke to, Tammy from Louisiana, was as qualified and friendly as could be imagined. Her demeanor and communication skills made me feel, for a fleeting 60 seconds, like I was President of the United States, or maybe his brother. She needs a promotion to something big and a raise. I'll hire her for my company if they don't promote her by the end of this week. This place is not just a hotel, it is an experience. And all that is the truth.

Room Tip: try a high floor for the views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael L
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Now THAT's a great review, thank you! And you're right, Tammie is great and has a gift of making not only each guest feel special, but also her co-workers. Thank you for mentioning her specifically. And thank you too, for allowing us to host you. I do hope we are able to welcome you back very soon. Take care.
Manteca, California
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Booked a club level room at a very high price, but service just didn't match.

Club level rooms include "breakfast" - but only the breakfast buffet which is anything but lavish. A few pastries, a bit of fruit. Some scrambled eggs. No toast. No omelets. The buffet lists for $18, hot food cooked to order lists for $12 - $14 but you can't substitute.

WiFi was out at the hotel for the first two days of the stay. Complaints to the front desk were met with "my computer is working", you probably don't know how to set up. My 100+ hotel nights per night would no' convince them that I actually know how to connect to hotel WiFi. Nor would the fact that none of my electronics (iPhone, IPad and Windows PC) could connect. Staff asked if they could "show me how" to connect", when I handed them my phone they asked "how do you launch a browser on this thing". Huh? WiFi did finally work the third day - and only then did they confess there was a problem.

Room was basic but nice. Servicing of the rooms happened early in the day (for which I'm thankful) but was sort of "service lite" amenities were not refreshed leaving us to ration shampoo through a second day. At the price you don't expect these problems.

Finally, our room backs up to the elevators which run through the night and are not at all quiet.

Room Tip: I guess the obvious - stay away from the very loud elevators. Don't bother with the breakfast p...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jondf
Hello and thank you for taking time to provide feedback from your recent stay. I do apologize for the issues you experienced, and would be more than happy to discuss. Please feel free to contact the hotel at your convenience and I will set aside time for you.