“Convenient and comfortable mini-apartment”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
Ranked #159 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Carrboro, North Carolina
“Convenient and comfortable mini-apartment”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Not elegant, but a very comfortable and well-furnished mini-apartment across the street from Long Center for the Performing Arts, a couple blocks from the docks for Austin's great bat cruises, and no more than a 10- to 15-minute walk from downtown. Kitchen had full-sized fridge, micro-wave, electric stove, and decent selection of cooking supplies. Main disappointment was skimpy "Grab 'n Go" breakfast: coffee, tea, microwaveable instant oatmeal, granola bars, and apples and oranges (if you got there early enough). Got a great deal from Hotwire (about half off) but even at full price it's one of the best deals close to downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greenbean45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
Munich
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Positive: Friendly staff, ideal located - in walking distance to many music venues, bars and clubs; big rooms with kitchen and comfortable beds.
Could be better: We love the place and have been here five years in a row. It is comfortable but not very clean. The carpet is sticky and nobody ever seems to take a look under the fridge (except two big cockroaches, we evacuated from the kitchen area in 2011). The cleanness hasn't increased very much during the past five years - I don't know why.
Austin has been turning into a "Green City" with good concepts to avoid waste or to recycle. Unfortunately this Extended Stay doesn't provide any recycling facilities.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
j98me2
Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

When you first pull up and check in this place looks nice and well maintained. Once I was there a bit I realized this was not really the case.

The room appeared mostly clean with the exception of the carpet. It was filthy. It was black and would turn your socks or feet black. I would not stay here if you have small children since they will want to play on the floor.

The faucet in the shower was also broken. It required all my strength and both hands to turn it on and all the way off. My wife could not operate it. Surely housekeeping turns it when on when they clean so they must have known.

The service was also poor. When I tried to iron my shirt it leaked water all over my shirt. When I called the front desk the women who answered suggested I not tilt the iron forward. If the iron is flat on the board how am I tilting it forward. After much discussion she agreed to send up another iron, but it never came even though I called down repeatedly and asked.

In the end I really felt like they slapped some paint on an old building and were just milking it for all it was worth due to the proximity to downtown. I really feel that for 180 a night you can do better, even that close to downtown.

• Stayed May 2013

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Dallas, TX
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Stayed at this place last year when it was a Homestead Suites hotel, primarily because of the location close to downtown. It was great last year. Now that it is an Extended stay, it has gone way downhill. The bathroom was dirty - hairs everywhere. The towels smelled moldy/musty. The dishes in the cupboards were dirty, several pieces of the silverware had food stuck to them.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Elkton, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Good value for the money, staff are extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Rooms are clean and spacious. Picnic table out back is a nice place to relax and have a cool drink. Breakfast was a nice bonus. Great locations for S. Congress St. and all the attractions.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
To our Valued Guest, thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to share your experience regarding your recent stay at Extended Stay Austin Town Lake. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the location was perfect for your travel needs. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 February 2013

While the room and furnishings were satisfactory, the noise from other guests made the say very dissapointing. At about 3:30 in the morning on both nights of my stay, roudy guests in the hallway woke me up. I was told by the hotel staff that I needed to call the police as there is no onsite security to handle that. I find that unacceptable! Additionally, the breakfast they advertise was never maintained and always out of stock including the cups for coffee. If you stay here, bring ear plugs and your own breakfast!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Tom G
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to let us know about your stay on Trip Advisor. I do apologize that we did experience excessive noise issues on Friday & Saturday night during your stay. We have instructed our staff be more proactive with regards to noise disturbances and how to handle them if they do not cease. It is our hope that you would give Extended Stay another try
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Hotel is so convenient to downtown. Short walk to town! Room was adequate - no frills but free WIfi was a bonus. A few of the women at the front desk throughout the week were not very pleasant. Since we stayed a week, we were told our room was eligible to be cleaned once during the week. We chose to have our room cleaned on Sunday. We left early in the am for the marathon and returned mid afternoon around 2 and found the room was not cleaned. While taking a quick power-nap, the housecleaner came but since we were napping we requested to have the room done the next day (Monday) instead. It was never done. When I went to the desk to report this, the woman at the desk told me 'For the future, we do not clean room unless you stay more than 7 nights." I told her we had not asked to have our room cleaned but were offered this on check in. She continued to tell me I was not eligible to have this and was borderline argumentative with me. I have never stayed at an Extended America before. This experience left me with a doubt if I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are looking for location and no frills at a reasonable price, but do not expect to be treated...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Barbara S
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The encounter you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am requring all front of house staff be retrained on our service model to ensure a similar experience does not occur in the future. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.