Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
Ranked #160 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Milwaukee, WI
“Faltered”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

You can just sense it is not a better property. While rooms are passable they just don't have the cleanliness, refinement, or kept in repair for it to be any better. Ergonomics are noticeably bad in the navigation of the room and bathroom.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. I am very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that we are taking your comments very seriously and working to enhance our offerings moving forward.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at adt @extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
Houston
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We rented this because we were told 90% of reviewers recommended it. That is hard to believe! Location is good, parking was easy. Room size was good. Four pillows on each bed. Okay, that's it for the good stuff.
Dirty lobby, dirty elevator, the room SMELLED really bad. (I was hoping after running the a/c the smell would go away. No such luck. Don't know what the smell was (some prior person's cooking?) but we couldn't get rid of it and it was BAD. Bathroom had mold on ceiling, wall and in most of the caulk. Shower rod was loose and hanging down so the curtain would gather in the middle, couldn't keep it closed at either end. One of the closet doors was missing. When we turned out the room lights we could see the hallway light almost all the way around the door. I think if someone walked down the hall I would've been able to see them passing our door. In the elevator they had a torn ragged piece of paper covering the button for the 3rd floor saying "closed". The whole place made me feel unclean. I asked the front desk if they had any "less scuzzy" rooms and they said no. We were in room 213.

Room Tip: Hotwire told us this room was recommended by 90%. Don't believe them.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that you didn't experience this during your stay. To uphold our company's high standards, we are currently going through a hotel refresh of the public areas and guest rooms that will be completed March 2014.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at adt @extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Brownsville, Texas
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We had to move out of our last hotel and ended up here. The outside is very misleading. Brand new signage and exterior updated. While we waited to check in, clerk got several calls from guests complaining about the heat or lack of heat in room and lost keys. No maintenance guy on property. Once we got to our room we noticed the door didn't close properly. We tried to order a pizza and phone had no dial tone. Bathroom was not cleaned properly. TV picture very snowy. Would not stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. I was disheartened to read that your guest room had these maintenance issues. Please accept our apologies. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is being coached on reporting any maintenance issues before we check a guest into a room.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at adt@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
Lavon, Texas
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My 2 non-smoking rooms smelled of cigarette smoke, the bed and towels smelled of cigarette smoke. We had to turn on the A/C and open the window and leave for it to air out. Asked for 30 min late checkout and was told the manager would call me, never did. Overcharged and still waiting on manager to call to correct. Horrible experience. The grab and go breakfast had coffee and one small granola bar at 7:30am. Not at all what was advertised.

• Stayed November 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the billing error and also having a non smoking room in close proximity to our smoking rooms. To prevent this from happening again, my team is making sure we do the necessary adjustments for any promotional codes at check-in prior to the billing of a credit card and that we communicate the location of guest suites.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at adt@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Since our stay on 10/25/13, we have given the hotel ample opportunity to resolve this issue. They have not, so please heed this warning. When we checked into the hotel on first St. now renamed Extended Stay, my girlfriend found hair on the bed and in the bathroom. Not wanting to get anyone in trouble, I politely asked the maid (Thelma I believe) personally to redo the cleaning and she agreed. When we returned we were astonished the hair was still there. It was as if she did absolutely nothing at all. It was about 1:00 a.m. Friday and we were tired. We didn’t really want to deal with waiting for someone to do what they should’ve done twice so we just cleaned it ourselves and tried to get some rest and address it with management the next day.
I awoke with my legs severely itching about an hour later. I checked in the mirror and there were tiny red bites all over my legs and arms. We then checked the bed and found bed bugs and more hair. Their carcasses and feces were on the mattress and even in the nightstand. It was completely disgusting. We felt so violated. I took pics and called management, but with it being late they were of little help and only offered to move me to a different, (but likely infested, dirty room). I called corporate and they couldn’t “help” until Monday morning. Really??? Priceline refunded me and I had to scramble to find a hotel in the middle of the night. By the time I found something and checked in, it was 6 a.m. Being disgusted, tired, and paranoid that bugs may have latched on to our clothes, the rest of our trip was ruined. It was a complete nightmare.
Needless to say I waited until Monday and neither the hotel manager nor corporate called me, which is completely unprofessional. I called corporate and eventually a regional manager got back with me a few days later. She seemed professional and apologetic but really couldn’t do much but offer some free nights. As I would never go to that hotel again, she said they were good anywhere. I seriously doubt I will stay at that chain again, but maybe other locations are cleaner. This was over two weeks ago and to date, we have received nothing. She then outsourced us to their insurance for a claim on cleaning and extermination and that in itself has been tedious and difficult. I would avoid this hotel at any and all costs. If you have to pay $170 for something clean and not a biological hazard, it’s worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tony J
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked this due to its proximity to Threadgills, and the great price for a room in Austin. I wasn't expecting a Hilton or W experience, but based on the reviews I was concerned it might be worse than a Motel 6 in a ghetto off an interstate. Thankfully, it was not. It was perfectly average. The staff was nice, the room was clean, and the kitchenette was a nice addition. I have no complaints regarding this motel, and will stay here again when Threadgills is my Austin destination.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I booked this place over the net and some 6 months out from the event. When I arrived check in was smooth and hassle free. The staff assisted in my requirements for a security box and I had no issues with my room at all. The other member in my party had a smoking room, and the smell of old smoke was very powerful, it was easy to tell that it had been a smoking room for some time.
My room (non smoking) was clean, had great faultless wireless internet and no major issues at all. The only down side would have been the shower curtain that would leak every time.
Over all a great time and I will be staying there again next time I am in the states.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms overlooking 6th street, the view on the upper floors was great.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo