“Not perfect, but better than expected”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
Ranked #158 of 201 Hotels in Austin
San Diego
“Not perfect, but better than expected”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I wasn’t sure what to expect after reading the previous reviews. I was pleasantly surprised and had a nice one night stay. I think the hotel recently completed a renovation. First, the hotel is centrally located to South Congress, Warehouse, 6th Street and downtown areas. All are within 15 minutes or less walk. The river (lake) front is a few minute walk where you can take boat tours or see the bats at sunset. Second, the common areas like the lobby and guest lounge were clean and similar to a Courtyard or Comfort Suites. Third, my room was clean, functional and included a full kitchen. I was on the first floor and I think my room was for handicapped because it had a large walk in shower. My room had a flat screen TV with cable and free wi-fi. There was plenty of free parking and a very basic breakfast (coffee, snack bars and fruit). The room rate was reasonable given the location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for posting a glowing review of your stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms, convenient location and great value. Again, thank you for the feedback. We look forward to hosting you again the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 March 2014

If you're booking here, you're obviously not expecting anything fancy. This is a hotel where you leave your things in the room and immediately go out. The rooms seemed clean. Location is why you're booking here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel including our clean rooms and convenient location for a great value. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We checked into this hotel for #sxsw and had planned on staying a total of 5 nights checking out on Tuesday, March 11th. As I woke up this morning and went to use the restroom I noticed a small red bug creeping along my arm. I immediately went into defense mode, and tried to drown the bug for 10 minutes straight under a steady stream of water. He lived. I took pictures, contacted management, the front desk guy couldn't make a decision to save his life, and the general manager only offered to comp 2 nights stay. Utterly disappointed this is their form of customer service.

Although the manager Scott Eisnaugle did admit to having a bed bug problem in the past, which just states to me that it was not taken care of in full, but merley swept under the rug; or bed.

I am pretty sure with a conference of 30k people, and my newly appointed friend locked up tight in a zip lock bag, they do not want to spreading the word to each and every person who steps into this hotel, nor do they want me to #bedbugs at SXSW.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank kimrleon843

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Great location and the staff was friendly. Great price for a good hotel. We stayed there to explore downtown Austin. What a neat city and worth checking out. Be sure to eat at Torchy's Tacos right down the street from the hotel! Big Bad BBQ is also a must.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Bryan - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad that we were able to provide you with an enjoyable stay at an affordable rate. As well, it’s great to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and our friendly staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 23 February 2014

If there was a way to give a -1 star to this hotel, I would do so. We stayed here for 4 nights on business and a the only advantage of this hotel is its location. The hotel charges rates comparable to a 4star hotel, but offers below 1 star service. The rooms are stale, the furnishings are cheap and poorly taken care of, daily housekeeping is offered for an extra fee, the breakfast coffee is lukewarm and watered down, the linens and towels are badly worn - have holes, the bathroom is in disrepair, and, worse of all, the management and the employees don't care. Avoid it like a plague.

Room Tip: go some place else
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank First105
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I’m disappointed to learn that our accommodations and the level of cleanliness in your room did not meet your normal standards. I am working with our entire staff to ensure the issues you experienced during your stay do not affect our future guests. I hope that you will contact me directly at adt@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss the matter any further.

Again, your feedback is greatly appreciated. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 January 2014

First of all i am someone that doesn't argue a lot but this time it's too much. When we arrived at the hotel room the first thing i reconize was the bad smell it was awfull, it's seems like someone had prepared food and left it without washing it. Then we noticed that the floor wasn't clean and was full of hair and the sofa bed had some bread crumbles and a spirit bottle led on it .The other thing i wanted to mention was that they weren't any sheets for the sofa bed despite we've asked for at the time of booking and the mattresse was stained. The room was freezing so we put the heating on, bad idea , the heater seems to work but it was smelling of burn. Finally, something that you couldn't do much about it, was the noise of the other customers at 2,3,4,5 PM. So without having slept a lot in a freezing, smelly and noisy room i should have taken my belongings and slept in the car.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Samurailoli
Colorado
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here on a business trip and was very disappointed. The room was dirty. The cost to have the room vacuumed on something other than their weekly cleaning was $10 for each request. We had to take out our own trash. The breakfast was coffee and a sweet roll that was in its original plastic wrap. One bar of soap for both the bath and the sink. The front desk is manned only during normal working hours. You should check out the night before, because no one will be at the desk at 5:30 AM. They achieve economy by eliminating all the amenities that you will find at a regular motel, but the cost of the room does not reflect the lack of service.The only plus for this facility is the location. We definitely will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Find another motel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Dr-YooHo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that our standard services for weekly housekeeping and our grab-and-go breakfast were not communicated to you at check-in. We do offer a the extra cleaning services for a nominal fee and offer breakfast each morning. As well, I am sorry that our staff were not available to you as needed. Please know, our front desk is staffed from 7am-11pm, and from 11pm-7am our staff is working around the hotel preparing for the next day, but always available via the phone in the lobby. I will work with my staff to ensure this is better communicated moving forward.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at adt@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.