“Worth the price overall.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum South

Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum South
Ranked #169 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Austin, Texas
“Worth the price overall.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a pretty good value. The front counter staff are nice and the cleaning crew are very professional, smiley, and never stole anything (which is always my concern being from the east coast). The only negative marks re the quality of the TV programming (I know, boo hoo) and the lack of a dishwasher and sink disposal which eliminated any desire to cook as a bachelor.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Joinville, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

The cost is low, but do not expect services like cleaning, room service, etc. Even internet access is just basic and does not allow any videoconference, for example. Siverware is basic - did't have a cork screw for example. The bathroom door is not well positioned so that, when it is open, it is in your way from the bed to the kitchen.

Room Tip: Actually I haven't seen any fitness center or restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Luiz Claudio A
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum South, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Luiz - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. At this time, our property does not have a restaurant but instead offers rooms with fully equipped kitchens and our grab-and-go breakfast each morning in the lobby. All of our kitchens include some amenities for guests to use; however, cork screws can be found at the front desk upon request. As well, we do offer complimentary WiFi in all of our rooms with an option to purchase faster bandwith for a small fee. I will work with the staff to ensure this is communicated better at check-in.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at bur@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have stayed at several Extended Stay hotels and this one, pretty much sucked. We had cockroaches in our room 3 separate times. The air conditioner smelled poorly, the internet went out frequently, and the room was very tiny with no dishwasher, no dvd player, a curtain for a closet door, and hotel room keys that would stop working every few days no matter how far away we kept them from credit cards and cell phones. Front desk staff was polite which is the only reason I'm not giving this hotel just one star.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BroncosMom
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum South, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The situation you described regarding the insects, free WiFi, and room keys is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. We will be taking your issues regarding the WiFi to our internet provider so that they can check the internet signal for our hotel. If you do not mind contacting me and providing your room number, we will have the room checked for insects as well as the lock on the door to ensure there is not a short that is deactivating the keys. Still, I am pleased to hear that the front desk provided excellent customer service during your stat. I will share the kind words to our front desk team about their interactions.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I will work to address these issues. If you could kindly respond back to me at bur@extendedstay.com so that I may find out the room number, I can make sure we take care of the insect issue promptly. I do hope that you will give us another try, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Rockford, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Perhaps my room had been recently remodeled, I'm not sure, but all of the furnishings and decorating were very nice! The closet area was nice and big with wire rack shelves, the bed was comfortable with nice pillows, the TV was flat screen and decent sized, the wireless internet worked flawlessly and fast, the wood laminate flooring in kitchen and bathroom was in great shape, all appliances (full-size fridge, electric cooktop, microwave) seemed in very good condition....all-in-all it was a great place to stay, especially for single occupancy. The room was somewhat smaller than many I have stayed in, but was more than adequate for my needs.

It has exterior corridors, it does not have a pool or exercise room (at least I did not see one and was not informed of one, the small breakfast area is grab-and-go of mostly oatmeal varieties (which is exactly what I wanted anyways), with some fruit, pastries, coffee, etc. Housekeeping was not included for my short stay of 3 nights. But, this is all part of their value proposition -- they are clearly trying to target what the traveler is spending his/her money on.

So it comes down to what you want out of your stay. I did not require the additional activities and breakfast services that some travelers might want/need, and thanks to the lower price I did not wind up paying for things I was not going to use. As it turned out, I did not use the electric cooktop in the room, but it was nice to have the option. To me it was a great value.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Okeed0kee
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am happy to hear that our renovated rooms and amenities made your trip comfortable and enjoyable. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the room and amenities and am glad that you enjoyed your overall stay at our hotel.

Belton, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

The location is terrible, in the middle of highway intersections - loud and nothing decent around. I reserved a non-smoking deluxe room for 6 nights and the only one available had a terrible smoke smell. The staff said they cannot control who smokes in non-smoking room. I got a regular room, which is very small. I got ants in my bed and all over the bathroom. Yesterday, there was a lady with a van full of kids being handcuffed by two officers right by room (she was released after). And i paid $70/room.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Rafael B
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum South, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Rafael - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the experience you had at our property. In response to your feedback, I am working with the staff to improve our cleaning and odor elimination procedures moving forward. As well, please know, we do not condone illegal activity of any kind. I am sorry that you had to witness police action at our hotel, but we take guest safety very seriously and will take action as needed.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I hope that you will contact me directly, at gmartin@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

We were shifted over to this hotel after another Extended Stay hotel we had reservations with (through Hotwire) bumped us out do to "overbooking". The room we were in was very clean and large. The two receptionists we dealt with were pleasant and helpful. The breakfast consisted of coffee, muffins, and granola bars. As we were there for 5 days, we did use the laundry facilities twice, which was clean and nice to have. Although the location is off a side road in an industrial area it is still close to restaurants, stores, and access to roads. I did complain about our room being a smoking room, the smell was strong and nasty. They offered us a smaller room but we ended up buying Lysol and air freshners instead. I give them a good rating because they took us in (at 10:00 pm), the room was clean, and it was a good location for our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum South, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. We appreciate you letting us know about the smoke smell in your room. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that we provided you with a nice, clean room and good customer service.

Lynn, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I use Extended Stay all the time but this location is one I'm avoiding in the future. Thankfully there's many other Extended Stay options in this area. My room was infested with insects on the third night so I had to move to a room that was filthy and had a very strong and disgusting smell. In the morning when I tried to check out, there was no one at the front desk and after waiting 10 minutes trying to get the attention of the staff that was in the back office chatting, I had to leave because I was going to be late for a meeting. I called back after my meeting to make sure I was not going to be charged for an extra night and after waiting for 20 minutes I was told to call another number. Extended Stay is a great concept, affordable, comfortable but avoid this location. By the way other reviews also mention problems with residual smoke in their rooms.

Room Tip: Yes, go to another hotel for a good room, not this one.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank rcastanon
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum South, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I am so disappointed that you had the issues with the room that made your stay less than great. Please accept my apology. I met with the staff, and we will retrain the front desk staff to ensure that the difficulty that you experienced in checking out is not repeated. Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at gmartin@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.