“worst hotel”

Econo Lodge North Austin
Ranked #149 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 26 February 2009

I recall my stay at this hotel as being one of the most miserable stays. The room was dark, smelly and everything was falling apart. Initially this hotel was being marketed by Priceline as 3*, but in reality it should not be more than a 1 star (similar to a dirty motel 6)

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 December 2008

While the lobby area of this hotel is nice and appears to have been redecorated, the room was a total disappointment. You wouldn't know they were the same hotel.

Given the price and ratings for this hotel we did not expect luxury, but the room was dark and depressing. The weather was cold and there was no weatherstripping around the door, letting cold air flow into the room around the door. Fortunately the heater worked well. But the bathroom was old and dingy, the edges of the carpets were dirty, and the whole room felt dirty. There was a big patch on the wall behind the night stand, the mess of wires behind was almost scary and the lights were dim.

The most disappointing aspect was that my daughter's $200 watch was stolen out of the room. Nothing else was missing and there was no reason to believe anyone but hotel staff had been in our room. I would NOT stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
austinplaza, Manager at Econo Lodge North Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

Hello! For the last 2 years, a COMPLETELY new staff has been in place providing excellent hospitality to our guests. The issues you mentioned are with the old staff over 2 and 1/2 years ago.

Reviewed 24 November 2008

I only stay one night with my family on this hole. This hotel has so many problems that I don't know where to start.

The front desk service was slow.
Our reservation clearly said that we book a pool side room and instead got a room facing the back fence of the hotel.
The first room that we got had dried blood on one of the sheets. DISGUSTING.
We complained and we got a new room, 5 rooms down the hall, and of course facing the same ugly fence as before. This new room has one chair and one drawer missing.
The bathroom was not clean and the air extractor was not working so it smells bad.
And finally, the ice machines didn't work. Actually there was one that work sometimes.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2008

I booked a room through Hotwire for this hotel. When I arrived Friday night after my flight, the front desk worker told me that the hotel didn't have my reservation (despite my printed out confirmation that I showed him), that the hotel was completely full, and that it was Hotwire's fault I now had nowhere to stay. I then saw about a dozen other people in the lobby in the exact same position as I was who had used various online booking sites (like Expedia, Orbitz, etc). It seemed to me that the hotel decided to book the rooms on its own and disregard these online reservations. They could easily charge more on their own since there was a rescheduled music event in Austin that weekend, creating much more demand. They were telling everyone that it was the various websites' fault. Seemed really shady! I would never book here again because of this and I called Hotwire telling them to discontinue their relationship with this hotel.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 27 September 2008

North Austin Plaza Hotel treated us so well!! We had a reunion of about 30-45 friends. We were given a hospitality room located off the lobby and away from other hotel rooms. The staff was available and always upbeat. At this time there were a lot of evacuees from a hurricane in Florida and Louisianna, plus a big sports game in town, then the President flew to Austin. The hotel was very busy, but always had time for us. Many restaurants nearby, and the city bus system was easy even from the airport. Thank you North Austin Plaza Hotel management and staff!

Reviewed 15 September 2008

we checked out within 15 minutes of arrival to the room, we had experienced everything bad that are mentioned in the previous reviews and we have absolutely nothing good to say about this place. the so called "hotel" facade is totally deceiving, don't be fooled. we walked out despite the reservation was non refundable. we drove 7 hours straight home instead of staying over in Austin. we were treated like some 2nd class citizen during the whole interaction with the front desk receptionist. if you decide to stay in this place anyway, all i can say is better luck to you.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2008

We just finished our semi-annual reunion. We had a group of over 60 people from all over the world and this hotel was perfect. The rooms were much nicer then we expected for the money. The meeting room was ideal for our needs and the service was great. The staff always had a smile and warm greeting at every turn. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget and I look forward to staying there again. GREAT LOCATION!

Craig Winter