“Great Motel And We Will Stay Everytime We Are In Austin !”

Econo Lodge North Austin
Ranked #149 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We enjoyed our stay. The room was very clean. Had a microwave and mini fridge. Also iron, ironing board and coffeepot. Beds very comfortable. The service at front desk was super. We were there over a weekend and had no problems. Had a nice quiet room w/garden view. Only thing noisy was the flushing of the commode with its supersonic flush. LOL. The price value was really good too. We enjoyed it so much that my hubby got some of their business cards to give to friends and co-workers. If in north Austin, check them out. It is not a fancy hotel w/valet parking. It's a nice clean family friendly motel. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 3 September 2010

Hello! Thanks so much for leaving a review of your most recent visit. I am very excited to see you completely enjoyed your stay and will come back and see us again. Special thank you for taking our business cards to pass out to co-workers, friends, etc. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Take care-

Reviewed 5 July 2010

Firstly, if you're heading into Austin on the 35S, I wouldn't advise this hotel because it is a good distance away from any turnaround, so you'd have to go about maybe 2-3miles for a turnaround. We pulled into the hotel (we were visiting Austin and looked for the "best deal" online, so we weren't sure about its location) and it looked fairly well maintained, but then the Bikini's Bar & Grill at the front should have been a hint of things to come. Probably the only remotely decent thing about this hotel is that it's near to a Denny's, although it is on the opposite side of the road.

Upon check-in we were told that we would have to pay a refundable security deposit (**umm..what?**...I've stayed in many different hotels & I've never paid a security deposit up front- usually they just need a copy of your CC for any incidentals**). Then we were told that upon check-out we would have to pay a taxable (small) fee....which therefore means that amount would be subtracted from the "refundable" security deposit. We weren't pleased but after a long drive, the "small" fee seemed like nothing.

We found our room and I am by no means a neatfreak. The room was large enough for me and my boyfriend, but it also smelled very musty and didn't look very "inviting," or as if it was recently cleaned. The carpet had stains all over it, and it felt almost dampish underfoot. However, this is what happens at these motels/hotels anyway. We called the front desk to deliver 2 extra pillows and an extra towel, and as of this post, I'm still waiting for those things. The phone (standard house phone) in the room didn't even have a direct line to the front office. I had to use my cellphone to call the office because as there was no directory, I wasn't sure if dialing the office would incur charges.

After we unpacked, we decided to go travel around Austin for a bit, and as we're leaving we realize our door doesn't lock, as in, something was wrong with the locking mechanism. We called the office again and they sent the maintenance guy who after fiddling with it and changing the battery says in broken Spanish (luckily I understand Spanish) that he'll have to get us to switch rooms.

My boyfriend goes to switch rooms and he comes back with the neighboring room. We enter and we realize that they've given us a room with 2 double beds! Hello!! We originally booked a KING bed for a reason...obviously we don't want to be all bunched up on a double bed or sleep separately. But we say whatever let's just make the best of it. We move our stuff over, and as we're about to leave, the smoke alarm detector starts going off (we don't smoke)...going off as in the battery is dying so it's making the incessant chirping noises. By this time I'm frustrated as heck.

So my poor bf goes to change rooms again..this time they give us a room on the inside of the courtyard a good distance away...with double beds...again! So needless to say..we're switching AGAIN...finally, they decide to upgrade us. What does this hotel consider an upgrade....a "more" comfortable bed. There were no other additional amenities that this upgraded room had over any of the other rooms we had been in. The toilet in the bathroom had a very stiff lid which made opening and closing it a hassle, and it had a flushing mechanism that would spew out a gush of air even when the lid was closed (this grossed me out for obvious reasons).

All in all, our first night at this hotel was one from hell! But it didn't stop there. The next day when we came back after touring Austin etc (yes this door locked)...we realize our keycards can't open the door! Apparently, they hadn't/forgot to activate the keycards for 2 nights....so needless to say, my bf had to track back up to the front desk to reactivate the keycard. The attendant had the nerve to ask "is this room better now?".....keep in mind this same attendant was there the night before....why in heck would you ask that when he's back there complaining about something else??

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, for obvious reasons. While the staff was pleasant about fixing the problems, they didn't show enough attention to detail. It wouldn't have taken them 5 minutes to put us in another room with a King bed instead of 2 double beds. Their rooms should be properly maintained that smoke alarm detectors aren't going off or that the door locking mechanism actually works. By the way, as of when we left, the door to that room was STILL open.

MY ADVICE: Take advantage of the other 10-20 hotels surrounding this hotel, because this one is definitely not worth the money we spent, even just as a place to shower and sleep.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 3 August 2010

I strongly believe this to be a bogus review:
1. We are 100 feet from a South bound turnaround
2. We are 200 feet from Highway 290 turnaround
3. Our maintenance men speak English and Russian only (NO Spanish)
4. We are next to a Sushi Japan restaurant, Chilis, Papa Deaux Seafood, and Papasitos Mexican restaurant.

Please keep this forum open for fair and honest reviews for prospective guests.

Reviewed 1 July 2010

First trip to Austin. Searched TripAdvisor, found and booked at N. Austin Plaza. Glad I did. Staff very helpful and friendly - eating recommendations right on target. Room was large and clean and quiet. Bed was excellent but pillows kinda lumpy. Courtyard and pool were outstanding - a real surprise find. If you stay, pay the extra couple bucks and book a "pool view" room. There are a lot of choices in the area, but I'd find it hard to believe any place could be a better value.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank bill89134
Management response:Responded 7 July 2010

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on your most recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable experience. We have a great staff in place, our rooms are better than ever and we are continually improving the hotel and grounds. We have some of the lowest rates in town and we will continue to provide you with top notch service. We thank you again for your visit, and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2010

Well, this last visit here was just...okay. Consistancy is lacking at this motel.....this is the 5th stay we have had in the last 2 years and the rooms have been all over the place in terms of quality. I have had one really good room, one really dumpy room, and the other 3 rooms were just "okay" for the price (at those time, under $60/night).
Staff is always nice, property nicely landscaped and kept, and pool is GREAT for families w/kids. Rooms always have mini-fridge w/microwave, built--in hair dryer, and coffee maker...all nice amenities. Big, mounted flat-screen tv's in the last 4 rooms we have had...BUT, the cable is just the average package w/no movie channels at all (no HBO, Showtime, etc.). Heat and/or A/C has always worked fine and noise has never been a problem, even in rooms by the pool.
Housekeeping is all over the place.....sometimes the rooms are cleaned okay.....but the last 2 visits, the rooms have been a little on the "grungy" side for my taste. This last visit, we had a dresser w/a very visibly broken drawer and the carpets were in dire need of a good shampoo. Parking can be VERY hard to get anywhere near your room on weekend nights, which is annoying. Generally, the rooms are really showing their age, but for the former low rates, were fine for the price at the time. A decent value, actually.
Which brings me to why I am not sure I would book here again.....they have completely changed their rates and in the last 2 weeks---the rates have literally DOUBLED for the same rooms. We were there for a weekend just on Memorial Day weekend and needed to return for this coming weekend (June 10-13) and the rates are double for the same rooms. I am sorry, but even their "best" rooms are NOT worth $100+ a night! We can stay somewhere MUCH nicer (and cleaner!) for $100+ dollars a night in Austin. Unless their rates go back down, I do not think we will be returning.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 17 June 2010

Hello! Thanks for taking your time to submit an online review of your most recent stay. The ROT RALLY was held from June 10th until June 13th this year, thus the higher rates. We were still one of the lowest priced hotels in the area during this time period. We do thank you for your continued patronage over the last few years and only hope you will return for a future visit. I have noted the housekeeping issues and they will be addressed ASAP. Thanks again for your submission and we hope to see you soon-

Reviewed 17 May 2010

Having stayed in very upscale and low scale hotels in the Austin area, I was searching for low pricing and convenient proximity to Hwy 290 for this trip. This hotel has both. This was my first time at this hotel but will not be my last. I have no complaints. The pricing was beyond reasonable - the hotel was probably built in the 70-80's but has been kept up quite nicely. I asked for non smoking room and that's what I got - and it was not a room with gobs of perfume sprayed to mask smells. The a/c worked fine - not too loud. The bed was very comfortable. Plenty of hot water and water pressure. Had a nice large flat screen tv on the wall. (will have to remember to take a piece of tape and a card next time to cover the blue power light emitted from the tv even when it's off) If I had to gripe about anything - and I'm not griping, just reporting - is the toilet flushed SO LOUD. However, the good thing is that you couldn't hear any other rooms flush theirs...so, that's a good thing. The place is very quiet. We stayed on the side facing the pool and didn't hear any road noise. Pool side rooms also come with a fridge and microwave. The staff was more than pleasant. I would not hesitate to suggest this hotel to anyone. Like I mentioned...this is where we'll come from now on.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 19 June 2010

Hello and thank you for your recent submission! I am excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to ask us. Thanks again, safe travels to you-

Reviewed 26 April 2010

I've moved to Houston but still come to Austin for business twice weekly. I had tried a couple other hotels initially to see which place I've liked best. My intention was to find a place that is clean, economical, had to have a microwave and fridge, and free internet with decent speed.

The hotel staff and management have been very accomodating and have frequently asked if my needs were met and if any suggestions. I had mentioned of faster internet connection since I needed to be connected to my company at a decent speed and that when it rained, the front carpet to the door would be wet. They said they had recently upgraded their internet and though the speed still said the same, I did notice my DL/UL were faster. Book rooms in the courtyard for fastest connection. They have also installed tiles in the immediate area by the front door and I had noticed some bathrooms had also been re-tiled. Obviously they are taking my suggestions seriously. I did not realize how much I missed their amenities until one week I stayed at a different hotel because the internet was down which only happened once in my 1/2 year I have been traveling to Austin. I stayed at another hotel nearby and the price was almost the same but it was missing a fridge, did not have an LCD TV, and funny enough, the laundry bag they keep by the ironing board that I was to store my dirty laundry. Just many little things that added up. Also nice that there is a nice restaurant/sport bar next door and the owner is a Steeler fan like myself. :) There are other restaurants nearby... Denny's, Fuddruckers, Pappadeaux, Pappasitos, Burger King, a Chinese buffet place, Souper Salad, Quiznos, an Italian restaurant, Taj Mahal Indian restaurant., etc.. Many restaurants but I typically just pickup from Bikini's and eat in.

Only couple complaints I really have is that sometimes a light bulb is blown. I had to take a bulb from another socket. To lazy to ask the front office to replace it. The second is that all the toilets have a vacuum pump in the tank and when you flush, it's like a jet engine. Literally! Unnerving the first couple times. You can feel the air around you getting sucked into the toilet too. LOL!!

I have not tried the other amenities they have around but noticed the laundry room, fitness room, conference room, some snack vending machines and newspaper stand, etc. I just have not tried any to comment other than I noticde them. The pool looks clean and have seen folks using them.

Overall, my stays have been pleasant. Rooms are clean and tidy. Nothing fancy but no complaints. I have not had any noise issues from neighbors. I was expecting to hear the toilet jets but never heard them. :) The beds are comfortabe as I actually fell asleep faster than I do at home. hehe! Just overall pleasant and the staff have been pleasant too. The manager, Charles, is always asking for suggestions or complaints. The other person is Tim who has always been jolly and very helpful. Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
austinplaza, General Manager at Econo Lodge North Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2010

Thanks for taking your time to submit a review of your most recent visit. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. We are constantly making improvements to the hotel and always value our guests feedback. Hope to see you soon! Thanks again-

Reviewed 22 April 2010

I've traveled out of state frequently for work over the past few years, so suffice it to say I've spent many a night in various hotels and motels. Lately my work has brought me to Austin, Texas, and while there I've stayed at the North Austin Plaza Hotel and Suites. On more than ten occasions over the past couple of months I've stayed there, and I continually find nice folks, clean rooms, a fairly quiet environment, reliability, consistency, and a comfortable place to spend the night. Plenty of places to eat nearby and a very nice pool area enhances the experience. You have to look pretty hard to beat the price too. I've already recommended the North Austin Plaza Hotel and Suites to other colleagues in the area.

-TEH

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Hello! Thanks for your review and comments regarding your most recent stay. I am glad that you continue coming back to stay at our hotel. We are always up for suggestions on how to improve your future visits. Thanks again for your patronage and we hope to see you soon-
Charles