“Clean rooms, helpful staff and great location”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St.
Ranked #155 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Our stay really exceeded expectations based on some of the reviews we read before booking. I must say, it was a nice stay. It's not 4-star, so don't expect that, but it is seemingly fairly new and certainly clean. I would easily stay there again. The desk staff were always friendly and glad to give some local pointers.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that your stay with us exceeded your expectations. As well, I'm glad that you enjoyed our staff during your visit with us. Thank you again for your kind words. We hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were also underwhelmed with this hotel. Cleanliness was questionable and the grab and go breakfast, not much there. The location right in the heart of Austin and ample free parking were on the plus side of the equation.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be helpful as we continue to improve our breakfast offering. As well, I apologize that you experienced cleanliness issues during your stay. I will be reviewing your comments with our staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. Still, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and our free parking during your stay. Thank you again for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Getting down to brass tacks, this is not the type of hotel to book if you're expecting a 4-star retreat after a long day of conferences or being on the road. If you're looking for an affordable hotel that's centrally located in the heart of Austin, this is your bet. Although I made my reservation several months in advance, I feel like I got a good value for the level of accommodations I received.

PROS
*free wifi
*free ample parking
*perfect location
*spacious rooms
*clean updated rooms and grounds

CONS
*check-in took forever, even with a prior reservation
*linens need to be replaced; towels were possibly made out of burlap
*can hear people walking around on the floors above you
*mattress was on the borderline of being uncomfortably firm

Because the rate was so reasonable and I made the reservation not expecting 4-star amenities, I was generally pleased with my stay at this hotel. You can find many hotels nearby that are more luxurious but I wasn't willing to pay double the rates and wifi/parking fees on top of that. I will certainly consider Extended Stay whenever I return to Austin because of its good value and stellar location.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor if you are concerned about hearing people moving around above you.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m glad that you enjoyed our location, our free Wi-Fi and your spacious, clean room. Still, I apologize that your check-in process took a long time. As well, I apologize that you had issues with your linens and with noise from neighboring guests. Your feedback will be helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Horrifying hotel, the blankets are made from some unnatural material that feels coated in plastic. The refrigerators in the room are so so loud, the fan in the bathroom is so darn loud. I didn't even try to turn on the TV.

The only positive things are free parking, free wifi and proximity to the convention center.

The fact that they charge 4x the normal rate during SXSW is insane and I wish it was illegal. It was like coming back to a dump every night. The only nice thing in the room was the reclining chair. If I ever stay here again I am packing my own pillow and blanket and asking for a room on the top floor. I could hear every person outside my window, walking down the hall, and the people upstairs walking around their room.

At least their were no roaches or anything so that's a plus....

Room Tip: Top floor away from elevator if you want some sense of quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our parking, free Wi-Fi and our location. Still, I apologize that you experienced noise from your refrigerator, fan and neighboring guests. I will be meeting with our maintenance staff regarding these issues so your experience is not repeated. As well, I am sorry that the quality of your blankets did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Arrived at hotel in the evening and found one guest checking in ahead of me. Took more than 15 minutes to finish with that guest and check me in...fortunately it did not take that long for me. A guest stopped by the desk while I was checking in and asked for hangers and was rudely told the hotel was out of hangers. Room smelled of strong chemical odor, but hotel was completely booked so didn't have much choice but to stick it out. Towels are really rough and the wash rag had someone else's hair on it...gross! Curtains were falling off the track and lights in room did not work. Walls are very thin and I could hear all that was going on in the next room. Really cannot recommend this hotel except for its location and free parking and internet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am glad that you enjoyed our location, free Wi-Fi and parking; however, I am sorry to hear that our staff did not attend to your needs in a professional manner. As well, I apologize that the condition of your room did not meet your expectations. I will be meeting with our housekeeping and maintenance staffs to ensure your experience is not repeated. Lastly, I am sorry that you experienced some noise disturbance from neighboring guests. Your feedback will be very helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at adt@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you’re in the area.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Couldn't have asked for a better location. If you are looking for all the bells and whistles of a 4 star this wouldn't be for you. But if your looking for a clean place to stay in the center of it all then this hotel is spot on and at a great price. This hotel on 6th street in Austin is a great neighborhood and is walking distance to everything. Extended Stay America's are designed to be a home away from home for people that need to be in a place for a short time but do not want to rent an apartment. They have full bathrooms, and a kitchen area with a full size fridge, cooking & dining appliances and all you would need for your cooking and dining needs and comfortable bedding and desk areas. They also have coin operated laundry facilities for those that need that. Free parking in the city is a major plus. Be warned they only offer cleaning services once every 7 days included in your price, but you can pay f=to have it more often if needed and you also have a refresh service for a reasonable price if you need fresh linens etc. My only complaint would be there are no benches in the outside area for sitting while outside.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Beth - Thank you for your great review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our convenient location, your fully equipped kitchen and our laundry facilities. As well, I am happy to hear that you found your room to be clean during your visit. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

If there was a way to give a -1 star to this hotel, I would do so. We stayed here for 4 nights on business and a the only advantage of this hotel is its location. The hotel charges rates comparable to a 4-star hotel, but offers below 1 star service. The rooms are stale, the furnishings are cheap and poorly taken care of, daily housekeeping is offered for an extra fee, the breakfast coffee is lukewarm and watered down, the linens and towels are badly worn - have holes, the bathroom is in disrepair, and, worst of all, the management and the employees don't care. Avoid it like a plague.

Room Tip: avoid it like a plague
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that the condition of your room did not meet your expectations. As well, I apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast and the quality of your towels and linens were unsatisfactory. I will be meeting with our staff to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I hope that you will contact me directly, at dtl@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you’re in the area.