“Nice Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin - Airport
Ranked #23 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 3 May 2008

We spent the winter in Austin but the house we rented was already rented out for the SXSW festival. Somehow we got our dates mixed up and came home to find the festival renters still in our house! Luckily it was the last day of the festival and we were able to get a room at this Hampton Inn, not far from the house. The room was clean and quiet. They were doing some maintenance in the front so the main door was inaccessible, but it was not a problem. We spent a very comfortable night there.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mmissner

Reviewed 14 April 2008

The hotel is 5 year old but is kept very well and feels new. We were given a handicapped room next to the elevator and were initially concerned that it would be noisy but it turned out to be unfound. The room is quite large, I don't konw if it is because it is a handicapped room. The hotel is a little bit of a drive into downtown Austin but not too bad at all. We liked it so much we decided to stay an extra night. There was a bit of a confusion with the rate of our last night's stay but it was utimately resolved to our satisfaction in a timely manner. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank chandeb
Reviewed 1 April 2008

We stayed at this hotel first night in Texas as a quit stop between Austin and Houston. We arrived very late and got the last room. We were only there a few hours so it didn't matter much but the lobby really smells like stale cigarette smoke and I'm a smoker so for me to notice, it was bad or I'm getting too used to the California everything's smoke free environment. The room was supposed to be non-smoking but had a very similar stench, spare bedding for sofa bed stunk like smoke but the desk clerk gave us new blankets. No spare pillows however. The room was also not very big. Sofa bed was very uncomfortable but I never sleep on them so I guess that's the norm. I'm a big Hampton fan, this was not one of my favorites. I couldn't wait to leave. It really needs a renovation.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank Mizejm
Reviewed 7 March 2008

I was looking for a place near downtown on a weekend that the entire city of Austin was full. Every hotel was booked to the max. I started out at another hotel that after arriving and seeing/smelling the property, I refused to stay. I found the Hampton and luckily they had ONE room left so I took it thinking there was no way it could be as bad as the one I had booked already. From the exterior you get a sense that this place is clean, well kept and safe. Entering the lobby you could smell some wonderful food and I was informed that evening meals were free. It was lasagna with fresh bread and even free Shiner Bock beer. The price was really good at $120 and they even give 10% off with AAA. Entering my room I wasn't overwhelmed by the decore but I was pleasantly surprised at the size and cleanliness. In the morning... FREE breakfast of eggs, sausage and gravy with bisquits, fruit, danish, cereals etc...all the basics. You can not find many hotels with this kind of service, this clean, this good of a location at this price. I've stayed in several good hotels in Austin and this one is definately on my "will return" list.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank STUNTS4FILM
Reviewed 23 January 2008

If you stay at this Hampton make sure you keep an eye on your purse. The city bus stop is located on Riverside, right outside the front door. The Hampton parking lot has several signs warning you not to leave valuables in the car. Several pawn shops are located within five miles from this Hampton. The purse was stolen around 7 PM on Thanksgiving Day out of the hotel lobby. We have stayed at this Hampton several times prior to this stay and have enjoyed the employees, the convenient location, and the amenities. Since it was a holiday the "regular" employees were celebrating Thanksgiving with their families.

Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank loveaustin
Reviewed 23 December 2007

The front desk folks were great. These people know there stuff. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2007

We stayed at the Hampton Inn that is at the junction of the two highways last time we were in Austin (we have family there) and the airport Hampton is considerably nicer. I was surprised that the same hotel chain could have such different standards in the same city. The airport Hampton had a much more pleasing lobby, the beds were more comfortable, and the pool and workout rooms were cleaner. That's not to say that the one at the highway junction is so awful, but this one was really nice, as opposed to adequate.

It's a middle-of-the-road hotel chain, so everything is fairly predictable in terms of appearance, service and food. The all-day free coffee is nice, and there's a free shuttle to and from the airport, but you will really need a car to get around Austin.

This Airport Hampton and the Arboretum Hampton are both nicer than the highway junction Hampton. There's not much for unique hotel stays in Austin but I would say that the Hampton Inn does seem to be the best of the chains--the rates are competitive and it's a bit nicer than other chains in the same class. We go to Austin a lot (we have family there) and in the past few years have stuck exclusively to the Hampton Inn properties for those reasons.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family