“Between 2 and 3 stars, nice staff though!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Austin Marriott South
Ranked #49 of 197 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Northbrook, Illinois
“Between 2 and 3 stars, nice staff though!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

This is really closer to 2 stars, then to 3, if not for friendly and cheerful hotel staff. Lounge access is a plus to have breakfast there. Location is uninspiring, to put it mildly. Why they bundled all these Marriott properties there, I have no clue. Rooms are definitely clean and good sized, but dated and as standard as it gets.... My room was facing highway, and it was a bit noisy at times. Considering all of the above, what really irritates me are those petty charges. Being Gold Elite Member, I had access to lounge, and that is good, plus free Internet. Otherwise, you pay for everything: water in the room, and Internet are not complimentary. Moreover, wine, beer and hard liquor are not free even in the lounge! I didn't expect that, and chose water only in the lounge. You would think that the basic room rate is at least very reasonable, but it is not. I prefer Starwood (W, Westin) and Accor brands (Sofitel, Novotel) over Marriott, as they represent fresher more interesting choices and better value.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you taking the time to give us feedback about your recent stay. We apologize if your room seemed too noisy due to the ease of accessibility to the interstate. Next time please feel free to ask to move to a more quiet room and we will be happy to accommodate your your request. We are glad that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating. If you ever need anything else during your stay, please always feel free to ask. We hope we can accommodate you during a future stay in Austin!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Stittsville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel is grouped amongst 5 Marriott hotels, which can be a little confusing when you first arrive. Each hotel is clearly marked though! This was my first time staying at a plain "Marriott" branded hotel, and was a pleasant experience. The hotel has a welcoming entrance, as well as an underground parking feature - useful when the various hotels in the area are full.

We were warmly welcome when we first arrived, and provided a room on the club floor. There was a swim team (well, several teams) staying on the premises during the weekend, and had decked their doors in posters and pictures - not very business-like in appearance, but actually a fun change from bland decor.

The room was an average size, and looked out over part of a U - no good view in there, although the staff did state that there is no scenic view in the hotel to begin with. We utilized the lounge on the first day, enjoying the snacks and water provided within it. It's a keycard-controlled door, and had a welcoming atmosphere - and staff as well.

The gym facilities were great - lots of ellipticals, and also a few benches for weights, of which a few machines overlooked the indoor pool. The only complaint was that several of the embedded TV's didn't function, or had no audio - pretty well par-on-course for hotels.

All-in-all, a nice location, and probably the "nicest" of the 5 hotels in a row.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at the Austin Marriott South! We appreciate you taking the time to send us valuable feedback. We invite you to stay with us next time you visit Austin!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

Hotel felt dated and carpets were stained in room. Easy to get to. Family had breakfast in the resturant, good food and service. Just ok nothing special. I would stay here if there was not a newer hotel available.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at the Austin Marriott South! We appreciate your honest feedback and will take necessary actions to improve the issues you have mentioned. We do thank you for your kind words about our friendly hotel staff. We hope you will stay with us next time you are in the Austin area!
Hewitt, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were visiting friends in Buda, and decided to get a room instead of crashing in the house on the floor. Every hotel in Buda was full, and it was after midnight. We managed to get a room at this hotel and it was very nice. Super clean and spacious, free wifi, and a decent rate due to the lateness of the evening. The restaurant had pretty good food, although it was separate from the room rate (despite the cost of the room, no continental breakfast - the only downside to this hotel).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ashley M, at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us a kind review. We are glad that you were easily able find our location from Buda and that we were able to accommodate you at the last minute. We welcome you back to the Austin Marriott South next time you are in the area!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed here while moving our daughter in at St Edwards. We were looking for a hotel that was reasonably priced and far away from Bat Fest. We got a great rate and the rooms were very nice. They were nicely decorated and the WIFI is free! Everyone was very nice and we enjoyed out stay. My only complaint would be that the beds were a little hard for me (not for my husband though). We ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant Limestone and the food was good. We would stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at the Austin Marriott South! We appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be inviting. The hotel definitely has easy access to St. Edwards University, and we invite you to stay with us next time you visit Austin!
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Our stay was great! Kylie and the other front desk staff on Saturday night were so friendly and personable. They made sure we were comfortable and felt at home. I appreciated the friendly way they greeted my children and our family. The pool was fun and quiet as well as very clean. The room was spotless and very quiet. We will stay here whenever we come to visit our college student!
Convenient and comfy.... Much nicer than anywhere else we have stayed in the area!

Room Tip: Ask for the quieter side of the hotel away from the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for staying at the Austin Marriott South! We appreciate you taking a moment to write us a pleasant review on our kind staff. We look forward accommodating you all next time you are in Austin!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

My day started out awful. I had to call the hotel to cancel my reservations because of travel problems. The Front desk agent Brittany was very helpful and helped me to cancel the reservation with no penalty at all, in fact she advised me to call back in case I wanted to have the reservation reinstated. I thought that was very nice of her and the hotel to make that offer. I hung up.

10 minutes later I called back the Hotel and once again spoke with Brittany and advised her that my travel plans were back on and I asked if I could reinstate the original reservation which I had made about 2 months earlier at a very good rate. Of course I expected her to say yes but at a more expensive rate, I was very mistaken. Marriott honored the original reservation at the lower rate and I was extremely satisfied to say the least.

When I arrived I was greeted by who else, Brittany. We talked about the whole ordeal and she was so pleasant and understanding. My experience at this property was superb. The room was spacious and well appointed and the staff were very friendly and courteous. Every staff member went out of there way to greet you and offer their service to you. I felt so comfortable being there.

When in the Austin area again, I will definitely stay at The Marriott Austin South. Thank You Brittany.

Room Tip: My room was facing the rear of the Hotel and I had no complaint.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for taking time to write such pleasant feedback about our attentive staff. We are very glad that your travels brought you to the Austin Marriott South and we hope to see you again soon!