“Okay - good location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston
“Okay - good location”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We picked this hotel due to the location. I am actually typing this review from my room because I don't want to forget. The lobby area is beautiful and sets you up for a wow room. Don't hold your breath as the rooms are average at best. We had a king room and it felt cramped for 4 people. They ran out of Queens. I called ahead and asked for a room away from the freeway as the hotel is situated right next to I-35. The staff is friendly but I didn't get the sense that they were gong ho to go the extra mile. Oh the bathrooms are tiny!! If someone is sitting on the toilet and you open the door you will knock them off the toilet. Would I stay here again? Honestly I don't know. After staying at other properties such as JW, Autograph collection, renaissance, , ritz Carlton, residence inn, newer Spring Hill Suites properties etc, the rooms at this ppty really disappointed us. It is a good compromise if you are looking for value though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on opposite side of freeway
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Amanda L, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback. We understand your concern for noise, as we are conveniently accessible to the highway. We are currently improving the problem by updating our windows to new double paned glass to reduce the highway noise. This will be completed within the next two weeks.
We do apologize we were not able to accommodate your request for the double room. The hotel is always happy to provide guests with a complimentary roll away bed.
We do hope to regain your confidence to come back and stay with us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Natick, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 May 2014

For a "full service hotel" I found this property quite average. The rooms were nice but nothing special. Beds were comfortable, bathroom was clean but not sparkling, and room was renovated in the last 5 years.
Hotel public spaces were also quite normal. Nothing grand. Disappointing that bar closed at midnight with few food/drink options within a 15 minute drive. The elevators broke down every day I was there and I was stuck for a few minutes in one. It is pathetic that this property charges for wi-fi when the four other Marriott hotels in the complex provide it for free.

Room Tip: ask for one that is not on the side of the highway.
Green Features: they will not change sheets or towels unless you follow their instructions.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Andy Z, General Manager at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Austin Marriott South.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced when our elevators failed last weekend. When a major mechanical malfunctions we do our best to get the systems running as quickly as possible. I apologize again for not meeting your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
TEXAS
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I had a last minute meeting in Austin Tx so I called the usual places we stay and they were all booked. I found the Marriott South had a room available so booked for 2 nights. Arrived and found it easily at 35 and 71. Parked and went inside and was immediately greeted at the door and directed to the checkin counter. Met with smile and attentiveness, check is was super quick and easy, it was around 4pm, and very pleasant. Had a King room on the 5th floor in the concierge area. Room was nice and comfy. Next time I stay I will ask for room on the back side as this room was next to I35 and i could hear the traffic outside 24/7. I am a lite sleeper who lives in a rural setting. Others may not even notice. The hotel was very eye appealing, comfortable, well equipped, and the staff were all extremely nice. the concierge room had appetizers and honor bar and the personnel working the room were conversational and made me feel very welcome and at home. Jacki and Sherry were on duty and great folks. The work out area was nice and i used the treadmill each day. Nice looking restaurant with great menu, though I never used it. I think this is a little gem in the south side of Austin, and I will probably start making it my go to place instead of the Omni South or others I usually frequent. Great job folks!

Room Tip: Back side of the property away from I35.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank cthtexas
We are happy to hear that you had an excellent stay at the Austin Marriott South! We are in the process of installing another set of windows to better insulate us from the highway noise. We hope to you see you again next time you are in Austin. Thank you for mentioning Jackie and Sherry and taking the time to give us some valuable feedback!
Boston
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Visited Austin for a wedding, and our group was setup at the Marriot South Austin. The front desk was extremely helpful. They comp'd us a water one night from the small market next to the front desk. They did everything to help us with a smile. They generally want you to enjoy your stay at the Marriot and Austin in general. Highly recommend this hotel. I didn't rank it five stars because its not really a luxury hotel.

Room Tip: clean, great spot, great service.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
We are so happy to hear that you had an excellent stay at the Austin Marriott South! We are always eager to please and make sure all of our guests enjoy their stay. We hope to you see you again next time you are in Austin. Thank you for taking the time to give us some valuable feedback.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed at Austin Marriott South during SXSW 2014. During such a busy time the hotel had a lot going on already but at the worst moment their server crashed and they could not check people (including me) into our rooms! To make up for the inconvenience every employee I encountered asked what they could do to make our wait more comfortable. They turned what would normally have been an unpleasant experience into a customer service benchmark that every hotel I stay at in the future will have difficulty living up to. I will definitely be back to Austin Marriott South when I return to Austin. Special thanks to Kylie, Brittany, Brent, Drew, and Freddy for going out of your way for me. I hope to see you all again soon!

Room Tip: Clean and modern rooms!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joshua L
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Austin Marriott South during SXSW. Thank you for being patient with us during the system outage, an occasion that rarely happens. We are happy that our staff was accommodating during your wait and we apologize for any inconvenience the delay may have caused you. We hope you give us another chance next time you visit our city.
Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Friendly, polite staff, nice location, not too far from downtown, sixth street, restaurants fairly close - nothing in walking distance, you need your own car to get around. Hotel is quiet, but you should request a room that doesn't face the freeway. No free coffee in the lobby or free wifi in the rooms.

Room Tip: Pick one away from the freeway
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
We are delighted that you chose to stay at the Austin Marriott South during your recent visit to Austin. Thank you for taking the time to leave us with some feedback and we are happy to hear that we are close enough to downtown for our guests. We hope you got to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service that runs to downtown every evening from 6pm to 12am and drops off at 4th Street and Trinity Street. Please also know that next time you are here, we do provide complimentary internet in the hotel lobby, just ask the front desk for assistance. We hope you see you again during your next visit to Austin, Texas!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Truly enjoyed my stay at the Marriot South, after a long and stressful travel day of flight issues and delays, the front desk staff was more than welcoming and helped us get right to our rooms, even offering a free welcome cocktail to help soothe our tired nerves. Great bar and resturant and easy to find and very close to the airport. Rooms were clean and updated, great room service, and very quiet and comfortable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us with wonderful feedback about the hotel. We are happy to hear that our staff was very accommodating and make your stay a very relaxing and enjoyable one. We look forward to seeing you at the Austin Marriott South again soon!