“Above average for hotel group” 4 of 5 bubbles

Austin Marriott South
Ranked #46 of 197 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lufkin, Texas
“Above average for hotel group”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

If you need to stay in south Austin, this Marriott is an excellent value. The staff are professional, the decor fresh, the beds comfortable. Friendly breakfast staff as well. My one complaint is that smokers tend to congregate too close to the front door. Management needs to correct that issue, as I am sure Austin's code requires more distance. Otherwise, a pleasant stay.

Stayed July 2014
Andy Z, General Manager at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for your review. It was great to read your wonderful comments about our staff and the comfortable beds. I am sorry you were bothered by the smoking area outside the front door. We will try to do a better job of maintaining a proper distance from the door. We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Austin.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Dear Reader -
I rarely write recommendations but occasionally find that superlative service from an organization definitely warrants the effort on my part. My name is Dr. B and I run healthcare analytics for a global consulting firm and as such, I travel extensively and have top-tier loyalty status at Marriott as well as SPG, US Air, and United Airlines.

Whenever I go to Austin, the Austin Marriott South (on 4415 South IH-35 in Austin, TX (512-441-7900)) is my first and only choice for hotels. The front desk staff – Brent, the front office manager, Honey, and Nicole - consistently go out of their way to make me feel at home and when I am traveling with my family, they have consistently gone above and beyond to help my family as well. As a recent example, Zach, the Director of Operations, assisted me and my family with getting a weeks’ worth of luggage to our room – this is not work I would have expected from the second in command but his efforts were greatly appreciated and demonstrate a very high commitment to customer service that I would love to see more of in other organizations; and he refused a well-earned tip which impressed me even more. The service was consistently superlative and if you want a great breakfast Kim and Monica in concierge lounge offer made-to-order omelets in the morning and great snacks later in the day.

Best of Health

Dr. FJB

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DrFACHE
Thank you f or your review. We appricate your kind words about Zach, Brent, Nicole, Honey and Kim! I am very lucky to have a great team who all truly care about our guests. We look forward to seeing again aon your next trip!
Stittsville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

As with my last stay, the staff were very friendly especially as we had been walked from the Fairfield Inn next door, due to overbooking. They didn’t have a room booked for us, but quickly took us in and offered us a discounted rate for our troubles.

Same style of room as my previous review, but on the other side of the wing. No lounge access this time, as it was the weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. We were happy to take you in and keep you comfortable during your stay! I hope we have the opportunity to host you agian the next time you are in Austin.
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

This was my first stay at a Marriott in a long time, as I typically stay at Hilton properties. The hotel itself was nice, with most normal amenities. However, the staff was amazing. They were extremely friendly and willing to go out of their way to ensure your stay was satisfying. As such, I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Had a non-highway side room, and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda L, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your kind feedback! We are always pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you stay with us on your next trip!
Sulphur, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

If you even remotely have the chance to stay here TAKE IT! Beautiful property, great location, great amenities, clean and comfy rooms but above all the service. We were warmly welcomed by Nicole and then Brent. They took a genuine interest in our stay. We were there to help my daughter find an apartment for Grad school at UT & both of them gave us a plethora of information to make our trip easy - to say they went beyond our expectations is an understatement.
The great service did not stop there. I wish I could remember all their names, but I would have had to carry around a notepad to keep track of all staff that went above and beyond!
I could go on and on but I think the point has been made, super, super, super!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brandy H
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your kind words about our service team. Our staff makes our hotel. The hotel is just walls, our employees breathe life into them. I am proud to have such a great team! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip!
Frisco, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Touring the area with our 9 year old grandson. Stayed using points.

Got in a late and were going to just eat at the Bistro but they do not have one yet. Looked like construction is scheduled for later this year. Room was a little dated - small bathroom and no fridge.

Wanted to use the pool but did not really have time after we got back from dinner.

Bottom line, it is a Marriott and was good, just not yet upgraded.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bad4bob
Thank you for your review. Unfortunately you can only find a Bistro in a Courtyard by Marriott, but we do have a wonderful restaurant, The Limestone for our guests to enjoy great local dishes. I am sorry it was closed when you arrived late that night. Our refrigerators are located in a cabinet directly under the TV in the room along with a small safe for our guests' convenience. We are scheduled for a renovation next year and hope you will stay with us again when you return to Austin!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Very friendly staff, nice rooms and a good location. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. The breakfast was more than I had imagined it to be and really pretty tasty. The staff greeted me each time I walked by the front desk sometime by name. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tom W
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the kind words about the staff, your room and a great breakfast! This staff makes our hotel. The team we have at this hotel is what makes it such a special place. They make all the difference in your stay. Friendly, helpful, and eager to please. I am proud to have such a great team. I am delighted to hear of your great stay.