“We believe our strength is rooted in our core values: putting people first, pursuing excellence, embracing change, acting with integrity and serving our world. These values are our legacy and our future. As we pursue our vision of making Marriott the #1 hospitality company in the world, we never lose sight of our founding principles and our proud heritage. Our business is always evolving…but we’ll always stay true to who we are.” Marriott website.
I just returned home from an unfortunate stay at the Springhill Suites south in Austin, TX. Going during SXSW I expected for the hotel to be busy, which it really wasn’t to my surprise. Despite this the Staff seemed overwhelmed and irritable. I was immediately met with attitude by one of the front desk staff members.
Backing up a bit when the room was booked months ago we were told that the double queen suite would be comfortable for 4 adults and had a privacy wall. What they did not mention was that the privacy wall was not between the beds but instead in-between the couch (uncomfortable) and the two beds. They also explained that the room was spacious (nope).
When we arrived we immediately realized that there would not be enough room for 4 adults. There was little to no space between the bed and TV and there was almost no reason to use the closet since you had to wedge yourself in the corner of the room between the bed and closet to open the door then you were trapped, this made unpacking very difficult. I was also surprised to see NO drawers other than the one on the tv stand that was not worth putting anything in. For 4 nights I had to deal with living out of a suitcase, which for a girl is not so easy. The sink space was almost nonexistent and for 4 people it made it quite crowded.
When we went down to the front desk to explain the situation they staff was not so helpful. They explained that they could get us a second room at less than half of what we paid ($409.98 a night). We learned quickly that this was the rate that they had online and Expedia had an even lower rate. They threw around the word accommodate like they were trying to give us a deal since we were inconvenienced and uncomfortable in our room. When I explained to them that this was not accommodating us that they should be giving us some kind of deal since we spent over 1800 on the room for the 4 nights they explained that the computer tells them the rate they can offer (lie). I asked if they can discount it they again said they could only do what the computer tells them (lie). I explained that I could get a better deal on Expedia and she had the nerve to tell me that Expedia does not guarantee a room (bold faced lie). Finally I told her that I would be emailing Marriott to explain the attitude and lies I had been told and it was like a magic switch. All of a sudden she was able to give us a second room for free for 2 nights, but only 2 because they were all booked up (LIE). We took what we could and had to be inconvenienced for only 2 night of our trip instead of all 4.
Overall the staff was extremely poor. I did write an email and I am waiting to hear back. I will update yelp when I receive a message back with their response. I do not think I will stay in another Springhill suites and Marriott is not high on my list of hotels to visit after this experience. Overpriced rooms and definitely not worth what I paid for.
I was however happy about the free WI-FI.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The SpringHill Suites Austin South has been renovated! Located just off IH-35 and 8 miles from AUS Airport, our south Austin hotel features renovated suites with microwaves, mini-fridges and 25% more space than traditional Austin Airport hotel rooms. Just six miles from downtown Austin, we offer a free evening shuttle to 6th Street, the convention center and UT Austin. Guests love our free amenities including hot breakfast, WiFi, parking and indoor pool and 24-hour gym. Choose the newly-renovate SpringHill Suites Austin South and you'll see why we're a top choice among Austin Airport hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your SpringHill Suites Austin South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Springhill Suites Austin South Hotel Austin
- SpringHill Suites Austin South Texas