“Good service”

Ranked #51 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Florida, USA
“Good service”
Reviewed 29 June 2007

I stayed here for four nights while visiting Austin. I'm familiar with the area, so I selected this location for a specific reason. I would not recommend this location to everyone, it really depends upon
where you plan to be in the city.

The room was fine, small kitchen set up with microwave and refrigerator. The fridge was quiet, which was great because sometimes
they can be very loud. The high speed Internet worked very well. I had to get a wired room (they have two) as my wireless card stopped working and the staff was very helpful in granting this request. As other reviewers have said, the bed is on the firm side but I slept fine overall.

Road noise from I-35 is a definite factor. I wore earplugs. Traffic noise doesn't usually bother me but I could hear it just enough to feel like the earplugs were necessary.

The breakfast looked okay, but I didn't eat there with all of the fabulous breakfast tacos available in Austin. The service seemed very
attentive especially considering it was free.

I did have one problem. One night I was awakened at 3AM by a hot tub party. I called the front desk - I am laid back but 3AM is pushing it
- and they took care of the problem pronto. I don't think they had
any idea it was going on because of where the spa is located. I really appreciated they took care of it and there were no more parties during my stay, so they must have been more aware of the possibility.

I would probably stay here again. Knowing that the staff take action when there is a problem means a lot while travelling.

• Stayed June 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mara D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you for your review, we understand it takes time and we appreciate your attention to detail. We are glad you enjoyed the size of our rooms as they are 25% larger than the standard guestroom. We are so sorry to hear your experience was less than perfect. I want to let you know that when the property was developed in 2000, the highway was not as developed. We provide our guest two options for guests that are noise sensative such as earplugs or the option to move rooms. Our staff is here to provide you the best service possible and we hope the next time you visit austin you stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 February 2007

My husband and I stayed here for one night, and weren't impressed at all. The beds are extremely hard - not just "firm". We were given a room next to the elevator, the only one they had available despite being Marriott Rewards members, and we could hear the elevator going all night. The walls are quite thin, so when our neighbors cell started ringing at 6am, it was like an alarm clock you just couldn't find. The curtains didn't close all the way, so the streetlamp that was our view was blaring into the room all night, just another thing to keep you awake if the bed wasn't enough.

Other than that, the property is clean, and the staff is helpful and polite. The location is not in the downtown area, which we didn't realize when we booked. We called Marriott and asked for "downtown" and this is what they gave us. If you're going out at night and want to take a taxi to the 6th Street area, it's about $13 each way.

• Liked — Nice staff
  • Disliked — Location, extremely uncomfortable rooms
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank screwy
Mara D, Manager at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We sincerely apologize that your stay was anything less than perfect. We have made great changes since your last visit, including beds, which we get multiple compliments on. We hope that moving forward you will give us a second chance to show you how we have changed. Thank you again for reviewing our hotel and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Texas
Reviewed 13 November 2006

Great hotel but the beds could use some work. Very firm but I have slept in worse. Clean, friendly, breakfast included for $99.00. I would stay there again.

• Liked — Clean and friendly
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank swtexan
I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We understand that this takes time and value your feed back so that we can improve. We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast. I appologize sincerely that your experience was less than perfect, since your stay we have changed our bedding structure and have heard multiple positive reviews on how comfertable the mattresses are. Thank you again for your time and we hope you choose the Sprillhill Suites Austin South the next time you visit Austin.
Joisey - the Corruption State
Reviewed 23 June 2006

My wife and I are Marriott-family fans and this property is an excellent example of why we enjoy the brands.

Fair price, ultra-clean rooms, appropriate conveniences, and solid staff. Hard to say what more I would want.

Free internet and breakfast is a nice touch. Location is a bit tricky coming from the airport since one has to go South on I-35 and then make a U-turn 1/2 mile past the property.

Otherwise, everything I could want.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank Marriott_Devotee
Thank you so much for you time taken to review your stay, we understand this takes time and appriciate your feedback. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your highest standards. Thank you again for your time, we hope that you will consider us next time you visit Austin again.
California
Reviewed 1 December 2005

I've stayed at Springhill Suites, Austin South/Airport on several trips to Austin. It is a great location--easy access to the airport, downtown and all the major routes through and around the city. I agree with the review that mentioned the hard beds, however. They are very uncomfortable unless you like an extremely hard bed. The rooms, however, are large and spacious, and best of all, spotlessly clean. There is always plenty of hot water and good water pressure in the shower, even on the top floor. Breakfast is wonderful - Belgium waffles (in the shape of the state of Texas no less!), eggs, sausage, cereals, danish, bagels, English muffins, yogurt, coffee, juices, you name it. The breakfast area is large and has a huge television; the hotel provides a morning paper, too. The desk staff has always been helpful and friendly. There is a little "shop" where you can buy snacks and convenience items. Just across the parking lot is a Marriott with a great restaurant, and there are lots of good places to eat within a couple of freeway exits. The hotel is in a row along the I-35 freeway, and you can hear freeway noise, particularly at night, but it is bearable, even to a light sleeper like me. There is a great indoor heated pool and an exercise room. Something else I appreciated, a computer is available (free) and a business center is provided. I have always been very happy with my stays at this facility.

• Stayed November 2005, travelled on business
6 Thank Dedphred
Thank you for review, we understand it takes time and we appreciate your attention to detail. We are so glad you liked our locaton and glad you have enjoyed your stays with us.We are so sorry to hear that your experience was less than perfect. Since your stay we have changed our bedding structure and have recieved multiple postive reviews about how comfertable our mattresses are.Thank you again for your time, we hope that you will consider us next time you visit Austin.
California
Reviewed 10 December 2004

My family and I checked in at 5:15am after flight delays. Staff was very friendly, and I scheduled a shuttle to pick up my reserved rental car for 11:30am (because rental car company did not open until after I arrived). Well, I got up at 10:50 to shower and get ready, but the phone rang. It was the shuttle driver waiting for me downstairs. When I met him, he said, "I hope I didn't rush you." I said, "Well, I thought I scheduled the shuttle for 11:30." He didn't answer, but he was really nice. The first full night we were there, a group of high school students checked-in around 11:30 pm and woke us up repeatedly during the night even after complaining to the front desk. (Someone even tried to get into our room during the night.) The following night, they woke us up again though not as many times. We received the first full night free after my husband complained, but problems still happened. One morning my husband went downstairs to get breakfast for us (we had been sleeping in because of the lost sleep on the first few nights), and the lady downstairs approached him in front of other guests and said loudly, "Sir, the breakfast is only for hotel guests." He came back upstairs and told me he had just been insulted. He told me what happened, and I was furious. I convinced him to report the incident, and as a result, they gave us an additional $20.00 discount, stating that they could not give us another night free without manager's consent. The morning we were going to check out, our receipt had been pushed under our door. It was $207.59, considerably less than what we expected, but I assumed it was because of all the trouble we had been through. A few days after returning home, I checked my credit card account online and found that my card had been charged for $275.44. I called the hotel, and the clerk told me that, after printing out another copy of my receipt, the total of the receipt she printed was $275.44. I asked her why my receipt was so much less if that was the real price, and she asked me if I extended my stay (yeah, right!!). I told her no, and she said she could not explain why it was so much more but that the $275.44 was the correct amount. I have complained directly to Marriott and am currently waiting on a response. If all else fails I will have to dispute through my credit card company. My advice is that if you want a pleasant, trouble-free vacation/hotel stay, look elsewhere in Austin.

• Stayed December 2004
4 Thank CaliSoleil
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I realize that your experience was not up to par, however we appreciate you finding the time to let us know where we can improve. I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication downstairs at breakfast, we do our best here at Springhill South to make sure we allow only those purchasing room nights at Springhill to enjoy breakfast. Often times, since we have such a nice breakfast we find people from other hotels like to find their way to our breakfast room creating less room for our actual in house guests. Again, we are so sorry and would never intentionally exclude an in house guest from breakfast.
Since your visit we have developed protocols and trainings to assist with noise complaints. We have also changed quite a bit including: breakfast, workout facility, management, etc. I think you would be pleased with your stay if you gave us a second visit. We would love to have you back to show you what a wonderful hotel we are. Thank you again for taking the time to show us areas of improvement and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 June 2004

This hotel has probably the worst beds I have ever slept in. I think the concrete floor would have been softer. The first night I was so miserable I ended up sleeping on the loveseat in our room curled up in a ball. The next morning I went down and spoke to the lady at the front desk and told her of my situation, I asked if they had any egg crates or something to make the bed more tolerable. She checked with housekeeping and said they would put on an egg crate on the bed. That evening when we came back from dinner they still had not brought the egg crate to my room so I went back down to the front desk and inquired. About 5 minutes later housekeeping showed up at my door and tossed an egg crate in my room in a plastic bag. I had to unmake the bed, put the egg crate on and remake the bed. The continental breakfast is good, but they don't keep it very well stocked. Both mornings we had to ask for the things we wanted. The front desk is helpful in guiding you to area restaurants and be sure to ask them for coupons. We got coupons for a free appetizer and $5 off to Texas Land and Cattle. Overall I would not stay at this hotel again. I was very disappointed in the bed situation and I have written a letter to Marriott but I've heard nothing from them.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I believe we have made some changes since your last visit. I want to personally apologize for the poor service with the egg crate. Since your visit we have changed our bedding structure and have received multiple positive reviews on the comfort of the mattresses. Our breakfast has also changed, now featuring Texas shaped waffles, fresh fuits, boiled and scrambled eggs, cereals, pastries and much more.
We hope that next time you visit Austin you will give us a second chance!