“Would Not Recommend This Facility”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North
Ranked #146 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Texas
“Would Not Recommend This Facility”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Unkempt, unfriendly, security doors to outside not working. Told at check-in that they didn't have any non-smoking rooms available, so they put me in a smoking room. I started coughing immediately, so I returned to the desk to explain that I have COPD and couldn't stay in that room. Well, they suddenly found me a non-smoking room. Additionally, in the middle of a very hot Texas summer, their pool is outdoors in the open sun with no umbrellas or shade. No cooking/eating utensils in the room.

I've stayed at other extended stay chains and was always pleased. Not so, here. I won't return to an Extended Stay America. Maybe it was the specific management; maybe not. Maybe other ESA facilities are great, but I'm not going to chance it. This was overall a bad experience.

Room Tip: Don't get excited about its pool. The kids will burn up. Don't take, "We don't have...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank o2bnfranceb4u
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. Please accept my apologies that my staff was not able to accommodate you with a non-smoking room at your first request. I will be meeting with my team to discuss customer service standards to ensure that this treatment does not occur again. As well, I do apologize that our pool did not meet your needs and that our security doors were not working. I will be meeting with my maintenance staff to repair the doors, and I will pass on your comments about the pool to upper management. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at asa@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is a nice neighborhood hotel. Location was just right off Mopac. But far enough to not be disturbed by noise and traffic. Whole foods and HEB were close. Not too far from shopping and Starbucks. We were able to enjoy a meal in our "mini apartment". The room was complete with a full sized fridge, 2 burner stove, coffee maker, toaster, dishwasher, and pans! I would definitely stay here again. Oh, and the take away breakfast was just enough to get your day started. The price of this place was just right, because I went through Priceline. But, it would also be worth the normal price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review. We are so pleased that our location was convenient for you and that you enjoyed your fully equipped kitchen. We are glad you had such a positive stay with us.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I are in Austin for an adoption. We called a week before or arrival to make the reservation and accidentally called the wrong location. We spoke to a manager who is very kind at the esa arboretum. Once I realized we were not at the wrong location we called the ESA arboretum north to switch our reservation. They informed us that it was fine to switch our reservation but thay we needed to call the other hotel and have them do it. So I did. I was then promised the same rate and received an email confirmation with the rate given. I was also told that as long as I changed 24 hour prior then I could add to or change our reservation.
The day of our arrival I called to make sure everything was in order. I was put on hold and when they came back it was a man who did not even introduce himself and immediately started questioning my rate and reservation. I explained to him what happened and he said ok bye. He called back 10 minutes later and told me if I wanted to stay with them then I would have to pay more money. It changed our total rate by 200 dollars.
So we did that because we needed to be at that particular hotel. So when we arrived after driving 20 hours we were greeted by a very rude staff member. Her computer wasn't working and I asked to change my reservation and she said I couldn't because the computer wasn't working. At this point we had found somewhere else to stay to save money and I knew that I wanted to check out the next day instead of a week. I told her this and she said I would have to call in the morning. So that's what I did and when I called the next morning I was told I would have to pay extra money to get out of my reservation...WHAT?!!
Oh and did I mention the night before that we left to find something to eat and our dog barked so the front desk staff called and said if we didn't come back right away then the cops would be called.
Now let me just say again we were in Austin for an adoption...we had enough on our plates and did not need to worry about our hotel stay. I am so glad that we checked out from there and I can assure that I will never stay at another extended stay nor will I ever recommend it to anyone. I plan on sharing our experience on several sites and calling coorprate. The rudeness was unbelievable and the change of rates was just wrong.

Never stay here! Find another hotel

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Kweeks926
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the poor service you received from my staff during the check in process as well as the situation with your dog. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you I will be meeting with my staff to review customer service standards to ensure that your experience is not repeated. I will also be speaking with them about how to better communicate with our guests about our rates. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so that we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please contact me, at asa2@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Gallatin, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Very clean and quiet rooms, close to airport. Friendly staff. Full kitchen in room, flat screen TV, leather couch with foldout bed. Leather recliner, spacious rooms and great shower and tub with plenty of hot water.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Ann - I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your spacious, clean and quiet room during your visit with us. As well, it's great to hear that you were pleased with our friendly staff and your fully equipped kitchen. I will be sure to share your kind remarks with our team.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Having booked this hotel through Expedia's Unpublished Rate, I wasn't sure what to expect. I found this hotel in a nice neighborhood, nestled between some small restaurants on the left, and nice apartments on the right. It's also one exit north of the expensive shops of The Domain.

Whether this hotel is convenient for you or not depends on where you intend to visit. It's 12 miles from Downtown, but the commute on the Mopac is more straightforward than a similar distance on the I-35.

The "professional pictures" here give a fair depiction of the property. The property was clean. The room was neat and the furnishings looked quite new. There were enough linens, but they were a little rough. Some of the dishes were wet (from washing?), but some food stains remained. The fridge and stove were spotless. We didn't use the pool, gym, laundry, or eat the complimentary breakfast. I'm not sure when the exterior doors are timed to require keycard access, but they opened without them when we returned late (11 pm +).

This hotel is not fancy, but it was clean and the basics were provided. We were quite pleased with it for what we paid (Expedia's Unpublished Rate deals), but their asking rate seems a little pricey for what you get.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Andrew - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We are so glad that we were able to provide you with excellent service as well as a clean and comfortable room. Also, I am glad that you enjoyed the area in which our hotel is located and all of the amenities that we had to offer.

Tyler, Texas
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Beautiful facilities and very helpful staff. I called ahead for a sofa bed with bedding and all was ready and waiting when we arrived. Staff was friendly and very helpful. Room was clean and spacious. Well done, Extended Stay.

Room Tip: Very reasonable price and the hotel is new or freshly remodeled.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ScottyWood1927
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - North, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
The staff and I appreciate your kind remarks. We’re thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our friendly staff and spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!