“Bizarre”
Review of Austin Water Bikes

Austin Water Bikes
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This place is bizarre. Every time I've tried to go, they claim the water levels are too low. Finally, I had a reservation for the bat tour one night and they cancelled because there was a "chance" of rain, but it was a beautiful night. It makes me wonder whether they actually want any business.

All reviews
in 13 reviews
"waterproof"
"turtles"

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I just moved to Austin a couple of months ago. I took my two kids and a friend down to Austin Water Bikes. My son and daughter don't get excited about outings with mom anymore but we all had so much fun. My kids want to go back.

What's cool is that they have a small cooler and drink holders on the floating bike. On top of taking in the beautiful day on the lake we also listened to music, ate snacks and kept hydrated with drinks. It was perfect.

I tell everyone I know to check it out because we truly had a blast.
The staff was awesome. Friendly, accommodating, patient and hospitable.

We are definitely going back. This is also a "must do" for our guest that come to visit us from out of town.

3  Thank Rana M
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I purchased a Groupon for the waterbike bat viewing for me & my husband. We were somewhat confused on how to get to the waterbikes from the hotel driveway & not only that but we were totally lost & confused on where to park. There's an adjacent park (I'm assuming it's a city park) but everywhere we looked, it said "reserved parking only". We ended up parking in the hotel parking. They normally charge for parking so please be aware of that. They were, at that time, doing some construction so there wasn't a parking attendant so we ended up not needing to pay that day for parking. If you don't park in the lot, you have to find a spot elsewhere & will have to walk a ways so also be aware of that.

We got there a bit early & after walking around trying to find the waterbikes, we found it down below, behind the hotel down the walking path. There's no 'office' per se, just a table w/a canopy & two or three chairs available to sit in. There's also a rock wall you can use to sit on too but no restrooms or snackbar. The attendant advised us that it was ok to go inside the adjacent hotel lobby to use restrooms or to get out of the heat til our scheduled bike ride, so we did as we got there a bit early.

Finally our bike ride arrived. There were others riding as well so it was a small group which made it fun. It was a bit scary & unnerving my first try on the bike. Getting on & off the pontoon portion of the bike was a bit dodgy but we managed & the attendant does help you on & off the bike. I have bad knees so I was more concerned about that. It took a few minutes to get the hang of riding the bike but after a few minutes, I gained my 'sea legs' & did well with it. The manager gave us a bike tour of the buildings & the history of the area that we were seeing, very interesting!

After it got dark, the manager left our group to our own devices to watch the bats. We didn't see them very well b/c the bats left out later than usual so it was way past dusk & we could only see the bats via red spot lights that the tour boats were using to spotlight the bats but you can hear them reall well, however. I'd advise not to be directly under the bridge when the bats fly out b/c you might get 'dripped' on if you know what I mean, I wore a hat so I'd advise wearing one too, plus it helps keep the sun out of my eyes. But the only disappointment was that we couldn't see the bats very well w/o the red spot lights. I'd advise calling ahead & seeing when the best viewing times are. I know that what time the bats fly out depends on the food source & how much rain we get from what the attendant told us.

The waterbikes are also very dog friendly! You can take your dog on the waterbike w/you but I'd check to see if there is a size/weight limit for the addition of a dog. They also have a cubby on the front of the bike for your personal belongings (keys, etc) and cup holders but I put my water bottle in the cubby instead. They also attach a flashlight for the night tour. They also set a timer if you do a normal hourly rental so you'll know when to come back in to shore.

Overall it's a very unique & totally fun activity & we'd definitely do it again! I expected my thighs to be sore but they weren't too bad. I did tend to huff & puff a little bit in the beginning, it definitely got my heart rate up so it's a GREAT exercise tool. They tend to charge by the hour except for the bat tour & that's a special rate & time. Give Austin WaterBikes a try! You won't be disappointed. It was SO much fun & different.

1  Thank cecilschick
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I wish I could come back every week and do this. These bikes were a blast! A group of us went to rent bikes on a Friday only to find that they have something called fitness Friday and if you like their Facebook page, it is half off. We took the bikes out for an hour and had an amazing time paddling around and seeing the views of downtown. The bikes are very stable, and I don't think you could easily fall off unless someone pushed you off. At no point was I worried about getting my upper body wet (your legs get a little wet from the pedals kicking up some water). The guys who set us up gave great instructions and the bikes were easy to use.
Highly recommended for your Austin aquatic needs.

1  Thank Kimberly F