“If you value your stuff or life do not go here”

Motel 6 Austin North
Ranked #171 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I arrived around 1:30 am on the day of my reservation and was told I could not check in without paying for another day because the day's audit was not ran until 5am. I had to sleep in my car till 5am. I also was scared out of my mind with all the drug dealers and prostitutes walking around asking for money or to sell me drugs. My a/c unit had to be taken out of my room while I was sleeping the next day. They pretty much walked right in, no knocking. I was without a/c for about 1hr and in Texas it's to hot not having one. I did not pay 94 dollars to be scared to sleep and be hot, not to mention have no privacy. I would not recomend this hotel to my worst foe. This motel was enough to make me never want to return to Texas.... Also the pool was closed, I wonder if that had to do with the nasty people staying there using it for a place to make money.

Room Tip: Don't stay here is the best tip..Go to Red Roof Inn right down from Motel 6
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Schon M
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Austin North

Reviewed 31 January 2012

When I stay at Motel 6, I generally choose by price if there are a number of different Motel 6's in the area. I chose this one, because it had the lowest advertised price of any Motel 6 in the greater Austin area. And it was along my route, which was also nice. At $32.99/night, less 10% for senior discount, this motel is an excellent value.

The rooms have been recently remodeled - newer wood grain laminate flooring, fresh paint, and upgraded shower unit. The room and bath were spotless. The bed was very comfortable - I don't know how Motel 6 does it, but I love the comfort of their mattresses - and the climate control unit appeared to be new, or close to new, and worked just fine.

Reception clerk at check-in was efficient and pleasant. When I returned my key to the office when I checked out, the person on duty offered a sincere "thank you" and wished me the best.

The motel is situated adjacent to I-35 (Exit 241, southbound side), and, as such, there is a bit of highway noise. This didn't bother me, as I'm used to staying in highway motels, but those who get disturbed by this kind of noise need to be aware that it's there. As far as the grounds and general neighborhood, I noticed nothing that was of concern and felt safe.

Compared to other Motel 6's, this one is above average. It's a pleasant surprise to know that when I stayed, it was the cheapest Motel 6 in the area.

For those over 60, Motel 6 offers a 10% discount off of their standard rates. You can't book this rate online, but you can reserve a room online at the standard rate and request that the discount be applied when you check in. The discount does not apply on special rates (such as "Click 6") I've found it works best when I add "Senior Rate Requested" to the comments field when I book online.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from I-35 might be quieter - if highway noise is a problem for you.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank step12dude
Reviewed 8 December 2011

This is a difficult review to write. The motel has been renovated and is clean, fresh and bright. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I have good things to say about the motel, but the location is horrible. It is right off the freeway and the highway noise was terrible I mean terrible. It had rained that night and may have amplified the sounds. The neighborhood is questionable. The police visited twice and over their loudspeaker told the "individual" creaping around the motel to leave the property immediately or be arrested. I feel bad for the owners of the motel. They have a nice facility, clean and well kept, but terrible location. Be sure and lock all the locks and bring your earplugs.

Room Tip: Maybe a room well lit and away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank IdrivealotMaine
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I actually stayed here two nights and then returned a couple of nights later and spent two more nights. The first two nights I felt a little uncomfortable about some people who were outside and talking loudly. I was by myself and on the back side of the motel. Because I was staying in ICU during the day with a very sick relative, I just needed a place to sleep and wanted something cheap.
When I returned for the next two nights, there were two Austin PD cars driving around the parking lot. I asked the reception clerk about this and he told me that someone had reported a fight and the police were trying to find it. He said that the manager had already looked around the facility and had not found a fight. I went ahead and booked a room since it was late. This time I was on the front of motel near the office.
The next night there were two security guards in front of the lobby. I asked the clerk about them and he told me that they were security guards. I told him I did not know that the motel had security guards. He said that they always have them; however, it was the first time I had them during my four-night stay.
I am returning to Austin today and I am not going to stay at this place. I was really concerned about my safety and it is in a bad area. It is a shame because the rooms were okay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank daughter-mom
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This motel 6 was the last stay in a long move from NH to San Antonio-we stayed in them primarily because they all allow dogs and are everywhere. This one had recently been renovated, and was a nice surprise-sparkling colors,a cool little seating area built into the corner, scrupulously clean, and, in general, a really good, inexpensive choice right off the highway. The staff was friendly and helpful(and the fact that they cooed over my aging cocker spaniel didn't hurt). Would definately stay at this one again.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank gardengoddess54
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I was moving from Minneapolis to Austin and needed somewhere to stay for one night until I could go look for temporary sublet housing options. Not wanting to spend any more than necessary, I landed on the Motel 6 along I-35 in North Austin.

Like other Motel 6 properties in the South, I knew going in what to expect. The front desk staff was decently capable of taking my reservation. The room was about as drab as it gets... low-to-the-ground bed, small TV on the wall, no free shampoo or soap... But again, I knew this is what I'd be getting. All I really needed was a place to sleep and shower, and I got both. Actually, the shower was surprisingly modern and looked recently renovated. And the AC pumped out ice cold air, a must for the Texas heat.

I have seen nicer and much, much worse Motel 6 properties. I would probably not recommend this place to a friend unless they were passing through and simply needed to get some rest and back on the road.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank glanzerr
Reviewed 9 October 2010

When we realized we accidentally booked a room at this location instead of our usual motel 6 we went ahead and checked in. First thing I noticed was the bullet proof glass and night time check in box. Security guard was outside talking to a gentleman who was drinking beer next to his truck directly in front of the office. Held the door open for a crackhead carrying a bag who got a room for 1 night. Upon checking in and looking for our room, we got lucky enough to park directly in front of a room where a crackhead was opening the door awaiting arrival of her 2 crackhead men who pulled up beside us in a old van. I couldn't feel closer to being in Houston than in Austin ; ) As we walked to our room, there was a nice drug deal going down right next to the stairways leading up to our room. That old smell of marijuana being smoked right on the corner. Upon arriving to our no smoking room, it was nice to realize we had a ash tray and a nice aroma of cigarette smoke stained room. Overall the room seemed clean, but I was kind of scared of what had gone on in our bed. Oh well, tomorrow night we'll be in the Crowne Plaza in our priority club room. Sucks they raised their price just because of ACL, because this motel 6 was definitely not worth 67.00 for 1 night. Hopefully we wake up in the morning with all of our belongings and a car.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple