“crack heads”

Motel 6 Austin North
Ranked #171 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 9 October 2010

When we realized we accidentally booked a room at this location instead of our usual motel 6 we went ahead and checked in. First thing I noticed was the bullet proof glass and night time check in box. Security guard was outside talking to a gentleman who was drinking beer next to his truck directly in front of the office. Held the door open for a crackhead carrying a bag who got a room for 1 night. Upon checking in and looking for our room, we got lucky enough to park directly in front of a room where a crackhead was opening the door awaiting arrival of her 2 crackhead men who pulled up beside us in a old van. I couldn't feel closer to being in Houston than in Austin ; ) As we walked to our room, there was a nice drug deal going down right next to the stairways leading up to our room. That old smell of marijuana being smoked right on the corner. Upon arriving to our no smoking room, it was nice to realize we had a ash tray and a nice aroma of cigarette smoke stained room. Overall the room seemed clean, but I was kind of scared of what had gone on in our bed. Oh well, tomorrow night we'll be in the Crowne Plaza in our priority club room. Sucks they raised their price just because of ACL, because this motel 6 was definitely not worth 67.00 for 1 night. Hopefully we wake up in the morning with all of our belongings and a car.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank the_amused_one
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Austin North

Reviewed 28 July 2010

I love the Motel 6 brand. When you're traveling just for the weekend, for some purpose other than a fancy vacation, it's absolutely the way to go.

Rooms were spartan and industrial, but VERY clean and comfortable. A/C worked very good... which is a big plus in the middle of July in Austin, Texas. Staff was extremely helpful and nice. I would stay again... if it weren't for the other guests and the REALLY ROUGH part of town where this motel is located!!!

Pool area was a perpetual party from the time it opened to the time it closed... people boozing, swimming, and screaming all day long. When the pool closed, people lined the sidewalks drinking every night. I would wake up in the morning to garbage sacks full of beer cans along the sidewalks. Very sordid groups of people walking around all night long, including ladies that I suspect were prostitutes. I am a smoker... I go outside each time I want a cigarette... I really didn't even feel safe doing that.

If motel would step up security patrol, it would be a decent place to stay. As it stands, it served its purpose, but I would not stay there again. The sad part is... the staff is great and the rooms are a good value. It would be a hidden gem if only it were in a better part of town and attracted better guests.

My suggestion... keep driving on I-35 southbound for about 2 more miles. There is a cluster of much nicer-looking hotels/motels (including another M6) near the I-35/HWY183 interchange.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank VirtualBizWeb
Reviewed 26 June 2010

For $30, can you really complain? Went to Austin on a whim and went with the cheapest Motel 6 in the area and it was a good choice. The staff was great and very friendly. The room A/C worked FANTASTIC in the blistering Texas heat. Close to downtown (like 10 minutes) and right off the freeway.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank SoCalC8
Reviewed 6 March 2010

Yes, i also stayed there with my husband.
I love the Motel 6, always clean and very friendly staff... So they can't help this thing:

When we arrived, our "neighbours" were calling my husband all the time, to ask his "premession" to let me work as their prostitute all night!!! (!!!!!!!) Ofcourse my husband said no, but they could not stop knocking on our door all the time and call us.
We told the reception, the man was a sweetheart, but could not do anything...

Well, big adventure, but it was very scary! : 0

Barbara from Holland :)

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AntjedePoes
Reviewed 7 September 2009

After extending our weekend in Austin by a day, we decided to switch hotels to move closer to our friend's residence. This one just happened to be one of the many we saw while driving down I-35 and the big $39.99 sign we saw from the freeway attracted us because we are cheap! :) We arrived about 9:45 pm and circled the lot to check it out. It seemed ok so we went inside to get a room. Of course the $39.99 had a catch....it was only for one person....$45.99 plus tax for 2 guests. We payed $52 with tax. I guess we could've lied but it wasn't that big of a deal. The room was fine. Clean sheets and cool air once we turned the unit on. The shower had good water pressure. No lotions, shampoo, breakfast or anything....nothing special, just a place to sleep. My only complaints include the fact that the entire room floor was hardwood and I hit my bumper when backing out of the tight parking spot by the office. BEWARE!! :( But overall, this place is fine and affordable for just a night's stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank triptaker61
Reviewed 31 January 2009

We stayed there for one night and got a room to the back side which was very quiet. Room was small and has seen better days. Next to the highway and just a few minutes by car to the city center.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
College Station, TX
Reviewed 29 November 2002

Really bad area. So bad that the APD patrols in a motorcade of at least 2 patrol cars.
Go at least 5 miles north or south to select a motel.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member