“My favorite theatre now”

Violet Crown Cinema
Ranked #13 of 63 Fun & Games in Austin
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I too made the mistake of wandering in for my first movie here, only to learn that all seats were pre-ordered online in advance. Wah! This is because the theaters are so small and intimate. I was still intrigued so learned to order on their website beforehand. Now it's my favorite theater to meet friends, have a good time, some good food and watch a great movie as well. I like that the seats are pre-assigned, so you don't have to rush to get a good seat. When it's hot I especially enjoy parking in the garage, and they validate your ticket so it's free. This is an important perk in hot Austin summers. Also very important, the acoustics are good in all their theaters. Seats are comfortable, you sink right in. There are pull-out tray tables for your food.

If a movie is showing at the Violet Crown, this is always my first choice now.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

A friend and I came to watch a movie at 6:30, and had not purchased tickets online beforehand…our mistake…only one seat left. Ok, so we sat in the VC lobby trying to decide what do to…then the lady who was working the ticket counter came over and said someone had turned in their ticket so there were two seats left - voila! She got us in, and on the very front row in the cushy chairs! Absolutely loved the attention to detail, plus VC is just a very comfortable, trendy, but not pretentious place to enjoy food, drinks, and movies! Highly recommended~!

1  Thank Njoytravl
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Violet Crown Cinema plays "art movies" in a classy, modern setting in a popular downtown Austin street scene. Reserved seating and free parking in the building make it easy to have an outstanding "urban experience." It's nice to enjoy wine, food and snacks before or after the movie, in the theater lobby/cafe as well.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I like art films and here you have a nice combination of food - real food, not preservative ridden pre packaged high salt snacks. No, real food such as salads and sandwiches and even cake balls. Convenient parking in a place where there usually isnt any. Comfortable seating too. Sometimes their movie choices are really odd even for art cinema. But it is a great place to go when they have something you want to see or are in the mood to read subtitles. This isn't your big box theater with hordes of screaming kids.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Nice lounge area to order something to eat prior to the film. Small theaters with very comfortable seats. The one I was in held maybe 80 people. Unlike the Alamo Draft House this place doesn't make the staff collect the tabs as the movie is ending. You pay first so there are no interruptions. Crowds at this place seem to be quiet and respectful of the movie experience. My fav for the movies in Austin!!

1  Thank TexasRedbud