Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Austin-University
Ranked #130 of 203 Hotels in Austin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 20 January 2013

arrived early into austin coming in from san antonio and the front desk clerk(bruce) was able to check me in early, despite how busy the place looked. In a matter of minutes I was checked in and headed up to my room. As soon as i walked into the room I thought to myself, "wait a minute, this doesn't look right". the room was a two bedroom suite. I was a little hesitant to call down to the front desk and ask if i'd gotten the right room? (I only booked what I thought was a standard king room). When Bruce answered the phone he informed me that because the hotel was so busy, all the standard rooms were taken up still(it was still 11am), so he gave me an upgrade, that way I could check in early. The rest of the staff was always smiling and greeted me whenever I passed through the lobby. Breakfast was great, wide variety of pastries, cereals, juices, teas, and hot breakfast items. There was always water in the lobby and fresh cookies! loved that!! The only problem was that the only ice machine on property seemed to be out of order. it wasn't a big deal, but that should get looked at!
Overall the stay was well worth the price and I hope to see ya'll again!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Tried to stay in town for New Years. Over priced, employee has don't give a damn attitude. Came down for breakfast at 9:20 to no food, staff spoke no English, refused to put food out. Then the girls who clean took what was left to eat and put on plates for themselves. Front desk clerks are in the wrong line of work. Don't know the first thing about customer service. Would not ever stay or recommend to anyone except to people who deserve to spend money on trash. That's what this place employees are. TRASH !!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Mr A
Carlson Hotels C, Carlson at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Austin-University, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
On behalf of the entire staff at the Country Inn & Suites Austin-North, TX, we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with fellow travelers. We are sincerely sorry about the concerns you mentioned, and we want you to know we take things like this very seriously.

We are especially concerned about the service you received from our staff ,and if you would like to speak in more detail about this, please contact us via our website. We look forward to making this right with you.

Again we apologize we missed the mark with you this time, but we hope you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Laguna Park, Texas, United States
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I booked a King Suite for my husband and myself. I went in to check into the room, there was no personnel to be found. After waiting we finally got our room and the jacuzzi tub had soap scum rings, hair, and water still in the tub. The bathroom was repulsive. There was a hair on the toilet seat, brown slime down the wall and what looked like old toothpaste on the wall. We found hair in the bed.
This was so bad we left and got another hotel. At $145/night this was ridiculous. I will never be back!!!!

Room Tip: Run!!!! Do NOT choose a room at this hotel!!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tresa L
cx_astn, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Austin-University, responded to this review, 20 October 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I would like to start off by saying that I apologize that we incorrectly checked you into a room that our housekeeping hadn't cleaned yet. Unfortunately, sometimes a room can be overlooked. It would have been our pleasure to switch you to another room to ensure you had an enjoyable stay. In fact, I pride myself in the cleanliness of our hotel, which is apparent by other traveler’s reviews on this site and others like it. I also instill high levels of guest services in my staff to make for a great stay.

You decided to check out within 15 minutes of checking in. I hope that in the future, you will give us the chance to make your stay right. We work hard here to try and make all of our guests happy and will do anything to make a stay right.

Again, I apologize that that you were accidentally checked into a room that the housekeeping staff had left for the following day to clean. We had several other rooms that were ready and fully cleaned and would have loved to have moved you to one of those. We truly hope to see you again in your travels.. Thanks again for your review!!!
Fort Worth
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Nice free breakfast in a comfortable breakfast room with plenty of seating. Slept great in comfortable bed/pillows. I have a 6 month old daughter and liked staying on the 1st floor. It was easy to bring all her stuff in and a luggage cart was always available up front =)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Del Rio, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Austin this past weekend and had the most excellent service. The manager, Cory was very helpful in making sure that my stay there was comfortable and ensured a perfect visit. He was very knowledgeable on what the hotel had to offer it's clientele(e.g. hot tub, pool, exercise room). The interior of the hotel was very beautiful and inviting and I would certainly recommend it to anyone staying in the Austin area. -Jessica B.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica B
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The location is on the north side of town with easy access to the highways. It's pretty easy to get to the UT campus or downtown from the hotel.

The service was great. Very friendly staff that went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

The hotel itself is worn. The rooms smell musty and there are stains on the carpet and curtains. We had 2 rooms and both had the same problem. Large bathrooms and a strange shower head that rotates when water comes out. The mini fridge was very poor quality. The TV was actually pretty nice. The elevators are extremely slow even though there are only 3 floors.

Breakfast is standard fare for Country Inn. No surprises and a good value with hot meats and biscuits.

We got what we were expecting out of our stay. It's a nice hotel for families, but that's where it ends. I wouldn't stay here if I was traveling solo.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family