Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Austin-University
Ranked #135 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Came down for a weekend trip. The stay was nice, breakfast good, & staff was friendly. Unfortunately, the spa was broken, one of the few reasons we chose this hotel. The price for a two night stay was pretty fair. Not a bad drive from downtown Austin either.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel is in a quiet area and it feels secluded. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and updated. There was plenty of parking and it was close to restaurants. I got to check in a little early because I arrived early. I would stay here again. I redeemed my Club Carlson points so the room was free!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2014

When we arrived, I was a bit skeptical as to the quality of this hotel. As others have stated, the neighborhood doesn't look great. However, after we checked in we felt much better about the situation. The desk clerk was very friendly and helpful in giving us information about the best way to get to the 6th Street area. Our room was clean and comfortable, although it was a bit humid. The bed was firm, but not too firm for our liking, and there were plenty of comfy pillows on the bed. Everything looked clean and we appreciated the extra towels and wash cloths in the bathroom. The cable package offered plenty of channels. We were surprised to find a small room service menu and were impressed at the offerings at the free breakfast. My only complaint was the noise from outside. We faced I-35 during a time in which many bikers were in town for a rally. We could hear the motorcycles at all hours and it was disruptive to our ability to fall asleep. All in all, I would recommend this hotel. It was affordable, clean and comfortable, and was a short drive downtown.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a room away from the highway to minimize the noise of traffic.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

First i called the hotel prior to arrival to notify them of a late check in possibly 2am, however when i arrived they had cancelled my reservation. after driving 17 hours i was not in the mood, eventually i was able to get checked in lost my points for my 2nd reservation that i would have cancelled anyways because my trailer got broken into on the 2nd night. yes you read that correct my trailer got broken into! after contacting the austin PD i was told i would have to wait up to 8 hours to make a police report, my husband decided he was just over being in texas and wanted to keep driving! The front desk manager was nice but the area was kinda hood, and kinda sketchy looking. parts of the hotel were kinda musty or moldy smelling.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Austin-University, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

We can not apologize enough for issues you experienced during your last stay! We can entirely understand how the confusion with your room during check-in would be exhausting after a long trip, and we are so sorry for the rest of it as well. We will certainly make sure that this is noted so we can try to avoid similar situations in the future!

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

From the time we checked in it was bad. They had change our original room for maintenance problems then we get to our room to turn on the air .... We wait for about 2 hours thinking it will cool down, it never does so we call down to the desk... She was very helpful and friendly.... We had to move rooms because the air was not working there... We get to the new room and there was trash on the floor... We didn't complain again because this was the last suite they had... On top of that the bath mat they had there had mold looking stuff on the side... The hotel is outdated overpriced and in a bad neighborhood. The bed was comfortable but after everything else it didn't make up for the hassle Will not stay again nor do I suggest you stay

Stayed: May 2014
cx_astn, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Austin-University, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

I am so sorry there were so many issues with your stay. I know that it must have been very frustrating and I sincerely apologize and would love another chance to make a good impression! Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This Hotel was good for what we needed. It was clean, and had good service, and the price was good for what you get.

It was close to where we needed to be. I will note that the surrounding residential area is Urban. Some people MAY feel uncomfortable because of this.

This is not your DREAM hotel. If it is only serving as a room for the night, it far exceeds expectations.

Room Tip: We were by the elevator, and you could hear very minor noise. Very Minor. But if you want to be in c...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The good: Clean linens, hot shower, nice team at the front desk.

The bad: A cockroach skittered across the lobby on my last day there. The walls are thin. The carpet in my room was moldy and smelly. The fan did not work in my bathroom. The lock on my window was half-broken.

• Stayed: March 2014