“Bad Visit”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest
Ranked #169 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Had reservation, but upon arrival in the miidle of the day the only thing awaiting me in the middle of the front desk was a telephone, no live body in sight. Used it to call 600, as sign said to do. Rapid busy signal. Looked around lobby, walked outside, back inside tried phone again. Tried phone in outer lobby. Walked down halls yelling hello? Oustside again.

Only sign of life was a guy grilling out on the tailgate of his pickup. After a 7 hour drive from south texas had my child, wife and dog waiting in 100 degree heat in car. Go back in much later and catch a glimpse of a guy flashing through the lobby. Flag him down, Yes! He works there! His name is Ch***. Not very good at his job. Does offer shampoo, which is not in the room unless you request it.

Check in, but the only solitary way to bring in luggage is on a bakers rack! I swear. Roll the wildly uncontrollable bakers rack down hall, unable to keep it from banging into the walls. Unhappy guests peek out of their rooms, but given me a knowing nod when they see me pushing the bakers rack full of luggage and bags, trying to carry hanging clothes because bakers racks do not have a way to hang anything. Just five layers of wire mesh.

Get to room, turn on much needed air conditioner only to be met with the groans of a devil machine. Loud, loud, crazy loud, constantly turning on and off. Geez. Try connecting to internet. No luck. Try calling front desk, no dial tone. Walk to lobby in pajamas to find out about internet, and Ch*** is gone, now replaced at front desk by a girl yapping on a personal call. Wait patiently. She covers phone asks me what I want. Internet. "Use the code" she says. "What code?" I ask. Show her my ipad, no place on the sign in does it say "code."

She tells person on other end, "He doesn"t know how to get on the internet." She covers receiver and points to place on screen where guest is supposed to put in a code I wasn't given upon checkin when Ch*** finally checked me in.

Make it back to room, and as I open door the air conditioner is jut starting up again. And jst as quickly it grinds to a halt. It is going to be a long night, I thought to myself.

It was. But hey, in the morning at least they toss a few muffins on the tiny table in the tiny lobby for the guests for breakfast. Pathetic.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AlanWoodrow
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was so unpleasant. In response to your feedback, I am going to have our Maintenance Engineer work to fix the A/C unit in your room. I am also going to be spending some time with my front desk associates on improving our check-in process. As well, I will be reviewing their responsibilities with them and the importance of always having someone at the front desk to best assist our guests moving forward.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention and If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at asw@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We booked this for our weekend stay based on previous reviews. For this class of hotel, the rooms are very nice and in excellent condition. It looks like it might have been remodeled in the not too distant past. We don't cook in the rooms, but basically our room had a full kitchen, some pot, pans, silverware, etc. If you are on a short-term work assignment, it's basically a very nice and clean studio apartment except they clean your room and make you coffee in the morning.

Note: As other's have said, it can be tricky to find. Immediately after you cross the Southwest Parkway from the North (or after turning left on to the frontage road from Southwest Parkway), start glancing up while you look for the small access road. The small access road does not have an entrance sign for the Extended Stay so when you glance up you will see the hotel up and above. This is the only giveaway that you are in the right place. Then the small access road will take you to the hotel entrance. It's hard to explain, but the small, unmarked access road only exists so that you can access the Extended Stay's entrance driveway. The hotel is not on the main frontage road and it's situated near a cluster of entrance ramps and frontage roads.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thank you for your wonderful and informative review of our property. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the location and directions on how to get to our property. It can be a little tricky to find our hotel; however, we are so glad it was worth the extra effort!

Reviewed 14 June 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Jeff L
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Reviewed 7 June 2013

I booked my mother, who was visiting from out of town, in this hotel and she said that it was top notch. She had never stayed in a hotel as clean as this one. Vicent, the gentleman who cleaned her room, is outstanding and really cared about the how well the guests enjoyed the rooms!!!! The rooms are newly decorated and nicely appointed. The staff at the front desk are courteous and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quite, even the rooms facing the highway. Make sure to use your GPS to find the h...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review about our hotel. I am glad to read that your mother was pleased with her clean, spacious room and our staff. We truly enjoyed having her stay with us and look forward to seeing either of you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I searched the hotels in southwest Austin. If you do not care about having a fancy breakfast. This is the best deal in the area! Rooms where nicer than the la Quinta right down the road I previously stayed at for almost 1/2 the price! My gps brought me straight to the place with out any problems. I gave 4 out of 5 because the walls are a bit thin. I will stay at this hotel again for sure!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

John - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the hotel and it being the best deal in the area. As well, I am so glad that you did not have any issues finding our location and enjoyed our newest feature, the grab-and-go breakfast.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

As a frequent traveler , I've sub-consciously started to become prepared that each new establishment I frequent will not live up to It's advertised claims. This is the first time EVER that not only were my expectations met, they were exceeded! When I called in a month ago and talked to James for a description on the facility, he not only gave me a verbal walk through of the just upgraded hotel, he also guided me to several websites that gave me a virtual prospective as well. Chris (my check in manager) was very thorough and quickly got me to a recently redesigned and spotless room. Lisa (building manager) has checked on me several times to make sure that my stay is exemplary. Target, Walmart, Applebees and BestBuy are literally 3 minutes away. You will not find a better establishment or professional group.

Room Tip: If you love Deer, ask for a room facing the back. they make visits at dusk..........
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Steven - Thank you for posting such a wonderful review. I am proud of our team for providing you with such a great experience at our hotel. It is very rewarding to hear that the entire staff provided you with such great customer service, especially James, Chris and Lisa. We all truly enjoyed having you stay with us!

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Don't be fooled by the 1star designation for this Southwest Austin hotel. It may not have 600 thread count sheets or a concierge who can get you tickets to your favorite show, but the teams on duty during my stay were there to help or answer questions.

The room was remarkably clean and fresh, the kitchen area of the room was great. Plenty of towels, soap in the bathroom... Plenty of pillows on the bed... And did I mention clean?

Many thanks to this hotel for making my stay in Austin perfect.

• Stayed: May 2013
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of our property. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness of my hotel. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Northwest Austin
Staybridge Suites Austin NW

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest? Share your experiences!