“Very ordinary hotel but great location”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest
Ranked #168 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed here during my little over-a-week-long business trip.. booked this hotel due to its proximity to my work place.. it was very tough to get to this place from the airport.. while I was on 290W, suddenly my GPS screamed, 'you have arrived at your destination'.. I had no clue where this place was.. inquired at couple of gas stations.. nope.. they didn't have a clue about this hotel.. finally a local old man said.. 'it must be somewhere close to southwest parkway.. well.. after few circles, I found the place.. Checkin was a breeze.. very friendly people at reception and good customer service too.. free wifi
No regrets on the choice due to location.. almost every restaurant or department store (Walmart, Target etc..) are just under 2m radius..

for the price.. you got to be satisfied with a very light (literally) breakfast.. Oats + coffee + apple or muffin or to-go-cereal bar. you got to be early else these may get over..

biggest dampener was the room - very old mattress, linens and room is cleaned only once a week..this need to change.. at least for health reasons.

TV - a no frills channel list.. no HBO or any other big time movie channels.. just the essentials.. a bit boring..

But for the location, nothing great about the room/hotel.

Room Tip: Stay here if you don't need anything 'extra' and just the simple essentials..
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding my staff. I do apologize for the mattress and the simplistic breakfast, that is why we call it a 'Grab & Go'.I would like to apologize that our housekeeping policies were not explained upon check-in. I have shared your comments with our staff to ensure that every guest is aware of our housekeeping policies at check in. Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to better your experience with us in the future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

the hotel is not easy to access,
the area is centrally located, some shopping around which is good
the room was clean, but the beds were old and hard. my mattress was falling apart :(
the ac was on the noisier side but functional
the kitchenette had everything except the dishwasher
the bath had a few soaps - we picked up our towels daily
room cleaning service came around once during my week long stay so i kept it
clean myself.
the staff was very nice, the foyer clean, the laundry room good
the run-and-go breakfast was dreadful, but the coffee was good

Room Tip: can't say which rooms are better. we had some smokers on the floor even though it is all non-smo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are happy to hear that our staff was courteous and accommodating during your stay. Please accept our apologies that that the mattress and air conditioner did not meet your expectations. For future stays, please feel free to advise the front desk of the smell of smoke or discomfort and we will remedy the situation immediately. Still, we are pleased that overall you did have a good experience at our hotel and that the convenience of our location met your needs.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

This hotel is a "bargain" hotel for a reason--the rooms are small, there are no "extras" like shampoo in the bathroom, cleaning occurs weekly, the "kitchen" is bare bones and there is rarely anyone actually at the front desk. We booked a longer stay, but left after a few nights. We had wanted 2 rooms next to each other since we had our 15 old son with us but could not be accommodated. (Even though we had called 2 weeks ahead). He was on a different floor and his hallway reeked of cigarette smoke. In addition to the smell, there were ants in his bathroom. The "Trash Room" smelled and was overflowing with garbage.
When we checked in, we had asked if we could check out early (we had our doubts from the beginning of our stay) and were told, of course we could. Yet when we checked out, we ended up paying a higher rate because we left early. No one informed us that we would have to pay more if we didn't stay a week. The rate we ended up paying was the same as a Marriott and definitely not the same quality of that chain.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that we couldn't get your rooms closer together. To make sure this doesn't happen again, we will be working with our associates to try our best to accommodate rooms together when available. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at asw@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Once you figure out how to get there the location is perfect, the beds are very uncomfortable. The carpets in my room were a bit sticky had to walk around in my shoes the entire stay. The AC was disturbingly loud and did not cool the room much. The staff was friendly, i would have asked to switch rooms but the idea of packing everything up to possibly get a better room was not appealing. Decent take and go breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank enlightexplore

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate you letting us know that the air conditioner was noisy, we have made our maintenance engineer aware and we will address immediately. We appreciate that you brought this to our attention as your feedback helps us continually improve the services we provide our guests. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

I initially checked in at ESA Arboretum South and was not happy. The room was tiny, but nicely updated, but the area and other clientele are completely GHETTO. There are lots of sketchy individuals walking around there (smoking, no shirts, skimpy clothing, loud/profane language) that I don't want to sleep near. The hotel chain has no control over this, I know, but you all need to know... ARBORETUM SOUTH IS NOT THE PLACE TO STAY if you have even slight concerns about your personal safety. Extended Stay America kindly switched me to this location and I am so so so so pleased. The room is lovely, clean, new... everything I wanted and more. It is tricky to get to and there is nothing around it, which I like. Nobody will walk by this hotel in the middle of the night for any reason (as in, your car won't be robbed), so I feel secure.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank B B
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such wonderful things about my property. It was disheartening to read that you were uncomfortable at our other location and I'll make a point to speak with the manager, however I am pleased that you felt safe at my property and loved our rooms.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Had reservation, but upon arrival in the miidle of the day the only thing awaiting me in the middle of the front desk was a telephone, no live body in sight. Used it to call 600, as sign said to do. Rapid busy signal. Looked around lobby, walked outside, back inside tried phone again. Tried phone in outer lobby. Walked down halls yelling hello? Oustside again.

Only sign of life was a guy grilling out on the tailgate of his pickup. After a 7 hour drive from south texas had my child, wife and dog waiting in 100 degree heat in car. Go back in much later and catch a glimpse of a guy flashing through the lobby. Flag him down, Yes! He works there! His name is Ch***. Not very good at his job. Does offer shampoo, which is not in the room unless you request it.

Check in, but the only solitary way to bring in luggage is on a bakers rack! I swear. Roll the wildly uncontrollable bakers rack down hall, unable to keep it from banging into the walls. Unhappy guests peek out of their rooms, but given me a knowing nod when they see me pushing the bakers rack full of luggage and bags, trying to carry hanging clothes because bakers racks do not have a way to hang anything. Just five layers of wire mesh.

Get to room, turn on much needed air conditioner only to be met with the groans of a devil machine. Loud, loud, crazy loud, constantly turning on and off. Geez. Try connecting to internet. No luck. Try calling front desk, no dial tone. Walk to lobby in pajamas to find out about internet, and Ch*** is gone, now replaced at front desk by a girl yapping on a personal call. Wait patiently. She covers phone asks me what I want. Internet. "Use the code" she says. "What code?" I ask. Show her my ipad, no place on the sign in does it say "code."

She tells person on other end, "He doesn"t know how to get on the internet." She covers receiver and points to place on screen where guest is supposed to put in a code I wasn't given upon checkin when Ch*** finally checked me in.

Make it back to room, and as I open door the air conditioner is jut starting up again. And jst as quickly it grinds to a halt. It is going to be a long night, I thought to myself.

It was. But hey, in the morning at least they toss a few muffins on the tiny table in the tiny lobby for the guests for breakfast. Pathetic.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AlanWoodrow
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was so unpleasant. In response to your feedback, I am going to have our Maintenance Engineer work to fix the A/C unit in your room. I am also going to be spending some time with my front desk associates on improving our check-in process. As well, I will be reviewing their responsibilities with them and the importance of always having someone at the front desk to best assist our guests moving forward.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention and If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at asw@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We booked this for our weekend stay based on previous reviews. For this class of hotel, the rooms are very nice and in excellent condition. It looks like it might have been remodeled in the not too distant past. We don't cook in the rooms, but basically our room had a full kitchen, some pot, pans, silverware, etc. If you are on a short-term work assignment, it's basically a very nice and clean studio apartment except they clean your room and make you coffee in the morning.

Note: As other's have said, it can be tricky to find. Immediately after you cross the Southwest Parkway from the North (or after turning left on to the frontage road from Southwest Parkway), start glancing up while you look for the small access road. The small access road does not have an entrance sign for the Extended Stay so when you glance up you will see the hotel up and above. This is the only giveaway that you are in the right place. Then the small access road will take you to the hotel entrance. It's hard to explain, but the small, unmarked access road only exists so that you can access the Extended Stay's entrance driveway. The hotel is not on the main frontage road and it's situated near a cluster of entrance ramps and frontage roads.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thank you for your wonderful and informative review of our property. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the location and directions on how to get to our property. It can be a little tricky to find our hotel; however, we are so glad it was worth the extra effort!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Southwest at Mopac
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin - Sunset Valley
Residence Inn Austin Southwest
WoodSpring Suites Signature Austin South Central
Holiday Inn Express Lakeway
Candlewood Suites - Austin South

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest? Share your experiences!