“VERY GOOD FOR "WHAT IT IS" - IT IS A BUDGET HOTEL”

SpringHill Suites Austin North/Parmer Lane
Ranked #85 of 203 Hotels in Austin
galveston, texas
“VERY GOOD FOR "WHAT IT IS" - IT IS A BUDGET HOTEL”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

For about $100 per night, I liked it.
We were at a convention nearby and this was the convention hotel.
Our room - 508 was quiet and clean. The room AC worked well. The staff was exceptionally friendly. The breakfast was way better than one might expect. The hotel location was close to shopping and restaurants.
There were negatives: one can hear noise from inside the rooms - in the hall, elevators are hot and stuffy, the small lobby can be a little crazy with lots of kid soccer teams, there is noise from the freeway and so on.
If you want luxury, do not stay here.If you want value, why not?

Room Tip: Highest floor is apparently quiet floor. Perhaps, away from the I35 freeway.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GalvestonJT
Carla_Montemurro, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Austin North/Parmer Lane, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Galveston JT,
Thank you for taking your time to give us a 4 stars rating! We highly value our guests' feedback and we take all constructive feedback very seriously.
We are glad you enjoyed our top notch customer service. Our veteran staff delivers genuine care by going above and beyond for our family members. Our complimentary amenities add value to our guests’ stay without compromising their budget and we are proud to know we can help you saving on your out of pocket expenses.
We are looking forward to be at your service for any future needs.
Best,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Boston
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

This is a typical consistent marriott property... Clean, good service, decent breakfast, nice rooms. Love that spring hill is spacious, but this is the worst shower I have had in 10 years! Maybe it's because I was on the 5th floor but it took 10mins to get any trickle of hot water and when it arrived, it was weak and Luke warm. Disappointing as I prepare for a big business meeting.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear workhplayh,
It was a pleasure having you as part of the family. Thank you for your feedback. We highly appreciate our guests’ feedback particularly our "road warriors" business travelers.
We are very happy you highly rate the comfort and the cleanliness of our spacious suites. Our veteran staff makes the difference with their personal touch. We are pleased to know you enjoyed the variety of hot and cold items of our complimentary full hot breakfast buffet and make it a healthy start of your day.
Our engineering staff is proud to announce that we have successfully completed the installation of a brand new water booster pump that has been credited for providing amazing shower experiences. So please come back to be part of the family again.
We are looking forward to hosting you again soon!
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Let's preface this review by saying that I did not actually spend a night at this hotel. So, here goes the review. Arrived to Austin with my wife and two children (ages 4 and 7 months) and drove to the Spring Hill Suites. This hotel is approximately 30 minutes from the airport. We weren't looking to stay downtown, so this hotel about 15-20 minutes North of the city was perfect. It was easy to travel downtown with our rented car but far enough away to meet our needs. The hotel is situated right alongside a busy interstate, but noise did not seem to be a factor. When we arrived to our room (a king suite), it seemed nice, clean and well maintained. There was a partial dividing wall separating the "bedroom" from the living room/office/kitchen area which contained the sofa(bed), a desk and small kitchen. The ceiling fan in the kitchen area had a distinct wobble complete with an intermittent knocking that would have probably driven us crazy had we stayed longer. I set up the portable crib provided by the hotel (a standard pack n play type model) which cramped the space a little and then proceeded to open the sofa bed for my son. Here's where we encountered the problem. When the sofabed was opened, it left very little room to walk between the desk and bed. We moved the desk a bit and opened up some space. Then, I tried to go to the car to get something. Lo and behold, the sofabed was so close to the main entrance door into the room, it would only open about a foot and from the other side! Therefore, I had to either fold up the bed or climb over it to try and squeeze myself out of the room and into the corridor. This setup did not seem reasonable or suitable and I contacted the front desk. I inquired if there was another room available and explained the issue. I was informed that all of the rooms were the same. My wife, sensing a fire hazard, spoke with the manager who was very friendly and receptive to the complaint. However, her suggestion, in the event of a fire, was to simply get out of bed, fold up the sofa bed and exit the room. Sounds simple enough, except that in such a chaotic situation the room may be filled with smoke or fire and we would want to get out...not fold up a bed and attempt to maneuver our way out the room wasting precious seconds. The manager reported that the hotel has passed all of it's fire department inspections however we still deemed it unacceptable for us. Thankfully, there are two other Marriott hotels virtually in the same parking lot and the manager was able to contact the Residence Inn next door, secure us a room at the same rate and was even willing to assist us with moving our luggage to the other hotel. Total time spent in this hotel in our room was about an hour.
All in all, although the hotel seems to be poorly designed for guests who intend to travel with a family and utilize the sofabed, it was not suitable for us and I wouldn't recommend it to other families. The hotel did, however, offer excellent service and what seemed to be reasonable accommodations for business travelers, couples or someone traveling alone. It is near a busy interstate so walking to area businesses would be difficult, but if you have a vehicle, there are plenty of restaurants, shopping centers and points of interest within the immediate area which are easy to get to. So, based on our experience, I would rate this hotel a one or less for families, however, in an effort not to trash the hotel's rating, I would offer it a 4 as it appears to be very good for other travelers and have impeccable service.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Cowac,
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback. On behalf of our entire staff we thank you for the 4 star review.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This was my 2nd visit to SPH Austin North and i wouldnt want to stay anywhere else in this area. The staff is very professional, extremely helpful and informative. They recognized my 2nd visit while my check-in and helped me all around. The rooms are nice, well maintained, clean. Breakfast is decent and have lots of surrounding places to grab food, shop, etc.

Room Tip: Pick the rooms closer to elevator and facing I35 side, highway noise is reduced
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Prashy21
Namaste Prashy21,
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to have you as part of our Austin family every time you travel for business. Our entire staff would like to thank you for the 5 star review!
It has been a true pleasure to host you.
We are thrilled we are able to exceed your expectations. Our hotel combines the convenience of a great location, the home away from home comfort and the top notch service/cleaning duo!
We can't wait to see you in 2014!
See you soon friend!
Kerrville, Texas, United States
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We stayed there recently and were SO impressed with the staff. They were beyond friendly, and went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. The room was spacious, we had a double suite with a sofa bed, and it had plenty of room. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a double suite with a sofa bed and it was spacious!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Dana D
Dear Dana D,
Thank you for your 5 stars review!!!
Our staff is thrilled to know that you had an amazing experience and we were able to overcome all of your expectations!
Our veteran staff makes the difference because we love what we do!
We miss you! Looking forward to seeing you again!
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed here by mistake on a recent business trip, and boy what a mistake it was! My colleague was at another Springhill Suites in Austin South and I thought I was booking the same hotel.
There is no dining option within walking distance (unless you make a run across an 8 lane highway) and delivery options stop at 11. So the night I arrived my only option was a (really bad tasting) microwave meal.
The front desk wouldn't let me pay with cash since I booked with credit card (they said my rate would increase if thy changed payment types) so I was left with $1,500 cash in my wallet. I thought I would keep it in the in-room safe, but alas there was none. This was even more disconcerting because the safety lock on my door was broken, forcing me to sleep with my wallet under my pillow each night for "security." I informed the front desk about the broken lock but it wasn't fixed during my 3 day stay.
Housekeeping also never made an appearance during my stay, and the miniature trashcans they have in the room were overflowing by the time I left.
Didn't get much sleep at night because of the parking lot and highway traffic noise.
Working out in the small, air-condition less closet they call a gym was drudgery and they were also out of the free earphones advertised in the gym.
The continental breakfast closed up shop a half hour earlier than promised one day so I didn't even get that after I sweat it out in the gym.
Honestly one of the most unpleasant hotel experiences I have ever had. Only thing that could have made it worse was if there were bugs or vermin.
This experience stung all the more because it was SXSW and there wasn't a single hotel in a 30-mile radius with a room available tht I could switch to!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Carrollkm
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and enjoyed our stay. Our suite was clean, large and updated. The hotel breakfast was excellent. The only slight negative on the hotel is the location off the highway and outside of the city. A rental car is a must.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear minivanmom2,
Thank you for your 4 star review!
Our staff is thrilled you enjoyed your stay and highly rated our service as well as the cleanliness of the rooms. We love to serve and our genuine care shows how important our guests are! Just like family.
We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!