“Good hotel; OK locale”

Ranked #37 of 200 Hotels in Austin
NOCA
“Good hotel; OK locale”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2007

This is a good property, on par with the Garden Inn brand. Very clean, with good amenities, including free wireless internet and mp3/aux enabled radio in the room. The location is actually an exit or two Northwest of the Arboretum, and if you're not familiar with the area, it's a little tricky to get to, so make sure you have good directions. There are plenty of places to eat and shop, and there's easy access to 183. If you are looking for a place closer to the airport, downtown, the university - then I'd recommend staying elsewhere, but this is a very reasonable property, with good rates, mainly because it's a little further out of the way.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Joe B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Northwest / Arboretum, responded to this review, 22 December 2014
Thank you for your positive review. We'd love another opportunity to host you while you're in Austin again, so come back and see us. Thanks again. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2007

The location of this property and the availability of several decent places to eat nearby make this a hotel worthy of a repeat stay. Unfortunately, in the room I was assigned, the mattress on the bed nearest the phone was long overdue for replacement, while the other one was fine, as I discovered on the second night. Bed linens were unironed, and the appearance was such that at first I wondered whether they had been changed since the bed was last occupied. Other than that, the place was OK, and the chances are that I'll give them another try when I need to stay in that part of Austin. The Arboretum area has a number of similar properties, and I have stayed in several of them, but the location of this one is a bit more "traveler-friendly".

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the bed
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Wizeoldowl
Thank you for your feedback. The next time you're at our hotel please remember that all of our mattresses are completely adjustable. This way you can get the exact firmness you're needing for a great night sleep. Thanks again for your review.
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2006

No complaints. I signed up for the "Zip-In" check-in, which took no longer than 10 seconds. Room was very clean, with a small refrigerator and microwave. Comfortable bed. Bathroom was fairly standard, but the curved shower curtain rod is a nice feature. Neutrogena amenities. My room was very quiet - I was not disturbed by any noise from other guests, but I don't think the hotel was fully booked. Breakfast is not included - I did not eat it but a nice-looking buffet was available for $8.95.

I think this hotel was a good value for the price I paid and I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
3 Thank LLRS1
Your review is much appreciated. Come visit us again the next time you're in Austin. We'd love to welcome you back into our hotel.
Romsey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2006

Stayed here for a couple of days while on business in Austin last week.

My stay was good and I'd be happy to stay here again. Clean and tidy, room was a good size, with a nice desk for working. Wireless internet connection was great (wired available too). Buffet style breakfast was good, though not overly extensive, but eggs, bacon and sausage were available.

My only complaint is that the air conditioning was on the noisy side.

The hotel location is a bit further out than some of the other hotels - it's a 5 minute drive from the Arboretum. However, there are local restaurants like the Outback Steakhouse within walking distance.

• Liked — Clean and friendly
  • Disliked — Air conditioning noise
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank Inglenook
We appreciate your positive review, and we're happy you enjoy your experience at our hotel. The next time you're staying with us for business, please let us know if your A/C unit is too loud and we'll gladly move you into a new room. Thanks again for your review.
hk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2006

booked directly from the Hilton website and got a single room for about 97 (tax included). I agree with the previous review that this is not by any means a scream of a pleasant surprise, but the rooms are clean, came with free wifi connection, continental breakfast (for 2.50 extra you get scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, and mash potatoes, etc...) with a pretty good selection of fruits, pastries, and juices. The location is a bit further out compared to the likes of Embassy Suites, Staybridge, etc... (i.e. these are the hotels that are ACTUALLY located near or within the Arboretum area). FYI, the Hilton Garden Inn is not quite in the Arboretum neighborhood, but at most it's an extra 5 minutes drive. For what it is, I wouldn't mind staying here again--if not for the well-kept premises, everything worked well for me at the Hilton Garden Inn. Nothing to complain, and the staff is friendly. For a hotel that's closed to the road, it is also surprisingly quiet.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank daijobu
Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves in not just being "above average" in our class, but on being exceptional for any hotel. Just about all the hotels in NW Austin identify as being an Arboretum property, even though as you noticed we're not exactly in the Arboretum. You'll have to come back to stay with us the next time you're in Austin. Thanks again for your review.
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2004

I kept hearing great things about Hilton Garden Inns, so I decided to try it for myself. As it turns out, my experience here was just fair.

Positives: The room was clean w/ the standard bed desk and chair, they have a business center and a fitness room, the lobby is bright and cheery.

Negative: The air conditioners in the rooms emit an odd and stuffy odor, breakfast is not included, you are charged for local calls and the customer service is just average.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
An "average" experience is not typical for our guests. We've been consistently ranked as one of the top tier hotels in Austin in terms of cleanliness and service. Perhaps we'll have another chance to win over your positive thoughts. Come back and visit us next time your in Austin. I'm sure you'll be more excited about your stay this time around. Enjoy your holidays.