“It'll do...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Dallas, Texas
“It'll do...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

...but there are probably better places. While I LOVE the service, location, and breakfast featured at this downtown Austin property, there are so many options nearby that I suspect one (or many?) of them will offer nicer rooms at a comparable price. Sure the size of the suite was ample for my wife and me, it was the quality of the beds (both ours and my son's on the sleeper pullout) and room amenities that left something to be desired. The building, probably an updated structure from the pre-1970's, just seemed to be missing "it" and was in the midst of Austin's downtown construction boom, making navigation by car and foot mildly tricky. I wasn't grossly disappointed because the breakfast was hot and ample, the location was perfect for EVERYTHING (e.g. 6th Street, the bridge bats, SoCo, the Convention Center, running trails along the river, the capital, the University, and destinations beyond this central site), and the staff was GREAT, including the valet who nodded towards the $12/night public parking garage 100 feet away from his $26/night valet stand. All of this being said, I would not avoid staying here, I'd just check other options as well.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Wannagetawaymore
martyr750, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the condition of your guest suite. Our property has been approved to undergo room renovations at the end of the year in efforts to maintain the quality of our product. We plan to communicate these comments to our staff in efforts to ensure our beds are comfortable. We hope we can have another chance to show you what our warm Hamptonality is all about here at our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact the Assistant General Manager for any other concerns.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
Charlotte, NC, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

I chose the hotel based on location, price and prior reviews. The location is great being only a few blocks from the 6th Street entertainment area. The hotel itself seemed to be an upgrade from a typical Hampton. There was a nice breakfast / evening reception area on the second floor which included a New Orleans-inspired balcony with tables and chairs overlooking San Jacinto Blvd. The hotel also had a very efficient and friendly valet parking staff.

My room was clean and very spacious. The refrigerator was a nice surprise. Like most (all?) Hamptons, there was free wi-fi and free breakfast.

The only real drawback seems temporary in that there is a great deal of construction in the immediate area. The construction barricades seemed to limit pedestrian traffic and made me at least a little uneasy walking in the area, alone after dusk. But, once the construction impact lessens, I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank tarheelblue89
Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

I was disappointed in this hotel. There were some good aspects: nice hot breakfast and good location near downtown, 6th Street, and Capitol. There was a fridge in the room which I didn't use, but would be nice for some. Wireless internet was free.

But, so many drawbacks. I had to strip the bed and remake it because housekeeping obviously didn't know how to make a bed and mine was "short-sheeted". The carpet was dirty. I had an accessible room and the shower spewed water all over the bathroom floor. The HVAC was noisy and I couldn't get it to stay at temperature. We ordered a cab for getting to our meeting in the morning and the driver called at the last minute to cancel so we scrambled for a cab.

The cost was only slightly less than other hotels in the area, so you might want to choose the Hilton, Courtyard, or Radisson.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better with less street noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Travel_Buff_BL
We appreciate your feedback. Without comments like these, we would be unable to address the issues in our hotel. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room as well as the AC and shower not working properly and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride in our guests being satisfied and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working with our housekeeping and maintenance staff to prevent this from happening in the future. Please feel free to contact the hotel and ask for the Assistant General Manager on property should you care discuss this in further detail. I look forward to hearing from you and giving us another opportunity to be of service to you.
Spartanburg, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed here for one night in a business trip and the location was great. There was plenty of nightlife and great food within walking distance. There was a lot of construction around the hotel so it was kind of hard to he around but nothing too bad. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was typical. The only complaint was the bathroom door. You had to shut it to get to the toilet which is kind of hard to do when your half asleep in the middle of the night. Never seen a toilet behind the main door before. I would stay here again

• Stayed July 2012
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

My wife and I went for one night with our teenage son and infant just to show my son the town of Austin. You could not get a better spot for a hotel as I could see 6 very nice restaurants from my hotel room along with being about 2 blocks from Six Street. Check in was very pleasant and efficient along with valet. The valet should have those little carts out by the cars though as it made it unpleasant to offload your bags on the street and then have to find the carts. The managers reception in the evening was unexpected but very nice to have, reminded me of the Embassy Suites. Free beer and wine is always welcome. The breakfast was ok in the morning, just typical serve yourself with hot waffle maker. Room was a king suite which was large and comfortable. The bathroom need a little more cleaning as the buildup in the corners was a little excessive for me as I could see hair but that would be a quick fix or maybe I am too much of a clean freak. Overall, typical Hilton brand hotel with good service, not quite Embassy Suites, but very good and would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

My husband and I love Austin. He went to school there, we got engaged there, it's special to us. So, when we realized we needed to delay our actual honeymoon we decided we'd go run down to Austin for a couple of days after the wedding for a little 'minimoon'.

The Hampton Inn is situated within walking distance of most of the places we wanted to visit. We had a very nice room and everyone was very friendly from the time we dropped off the car at Valet, til we checked out. We loved the breakfast buffet, and the nightly happy hour. Overall we felt very welcomed and very comfortable as guests at this hotel.

Our only complaint was the pool. It is terrible. It feels like you are in a giant bathtub on the top of the roof. That wasn't a huge deal to us though because we weren't planning on spending a lot of time in the pool even if it were an oasis. But, if the pool is a big deal to you, this hotel does not deliver in that regard. If it's not a huge deal to you then don't let this dissuade you from staying at the Hampton. It was lovely.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KHollyTX
Hoek van Holland, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed for one night at this Hampton Inn.
When we arrived we were a bit scares of major building works next to the hotel. So we expected an early rude wakening. But amazingly we didn´t hear a thing.

Our room was very spacious, quiet, clean and comfortable. Besides a wonderful kingbed and a desk and chair, we had an sitting area with a couch, table and chair. Lovely.
Bathroom was spacious and clean too.
Breakfast was good.

The hotel is close to restaurants, bars and 6st street. It´s also walkable to the bridge on S. Congress Ave. to see the bats. The only thing was that the bats didn´t show up.

Next time in Austin, we´ll stay again at this Hampton Inn.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple