“Good location, comfortable rooms, great breakfast”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown
Ranked #29 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Kansas City, Missouri
“Good location, comfortable rooms, great breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

Good value for the money. Great location--we could walk to most places and did. When we returned from our food tour --- walking in the Texas heat, we cooled off in the pool and relaxed in our comfortable room. Then out for a fun evening of food and music. This morning I was pleasantly surprised by the yummy breakfast. Those little omelets are wonderful.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites on San Jacinto Aug 2-4. Sparkling new hotel, incredible service, great location and a huge room. Free breakfasts and Happy Hour.

Across the street from the Convention Center and more than a dozen great places to eat within a 1-10 minute walk.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend this Hampton Inn to others.

I will say that parking in downtown Austin is a costly venture. There is virtually no free parking anywhere. Valet is available at a cost at this hotel but it is cheaper than my friends paid at the Radisson.

I dealt with the Front Desk, Bellman, and the nice lady who cleaned my room. Incredible friendly and professional service.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

We booked the room through the "get this rate on one of these 4 hotels." It was a great rate, which made it a little easier to stomach the $23 parking fee. When we arrived we were told we had a room with 2 doubles b/c you can't choose your room type when using a third party site. I explained that this was a one-night get-away for my husband and me, and would really appreciate a room with a king if possible. She was kind enough to accomodate us. Unfortunately the room was on the third floor overlooking the busy street below. The hotel sat at an intersection, and all night we heard loud cars, sirens etc. The room and restroom were both small, even by hotel standards. The breakfast was nice and the set up on the second floor was well done. If we traveled to Austin again, I would consider staying here if we got the same low rate and could stay on a higher floor--if that helps with the noise.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Belle Mead, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed only one night whlle in the area . Chose from reading other reviews and price I found on Expedia. Pretty standard for Hampton Inn, no complaints. Rooms are a little small (2 double beds) but was clean. Breakfast choices in the morning were plenty. Hotel is next to a construction zone. Some of the reviews spoke of noise but we didn't hear anything. Perhaps we were facing away from it. Inquire at desk for room away from noise if there is any. Easy walking to anywhere for dinner, music and shopping. Close to Congress street for the bats. Only negative is $23 for valet parking but thats the way the cookie crumbles in these "chic" cities. In/out service all day at the price so not too bad if you think about it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed in a King Studio Suite for one night in July on the 4th floor. The room was spacicious, but noise from the street could be heard in the morning. Upon arrival we had to unload and carry our luggage into the lobby as this hotel does not have any bellhops. The valet may assist on occassion if they are not otherwise engaged in parking cars. Check-in was quick and efficient and the staff were helpful in providing a map and directions. The hotel is convenient to major points of interest downtown. We parked across the street in a garage that was half the price of the hotel's valet parking.

During the week, there is a cocktail hour in the evening which included wine, beer or soft drinks and light snacks. The breakfast included in the room rate was was also very plentiful and had a large variety to choose from. My only complaint about the stay is that the pool had been closed by the health department the day before our arrival. The front desk staff seemed to be unaware of this fact as the directed us to the pool when we inquired upon arrival. Needless to say, this was a huge disappoint for our child who was looking forward to a nice swim after traveling all day. It also raised concerns regarding the overall upkeep of the pool since it obviously did not pass an inspection conducted by the local health department.

Room Tip: Construction next door and road noise from busy city streets may disrupt light sleepers.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I just spent two nights at this hotel and was somewhat disappointed. In part I realize that I prefer something with more character. But I was thinking I'd go for the large room, swimming pool and convenient location. It had those but not much more. Basically it is charmless-- from the paper cups next to the coffeemaker in the room, to the abundant but unpleasant breakfast served on plastic plates, to the corporate, dull decor of the room.. The people at the front desk are very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and there were plenty of towels. Water pressure in my room could have been stronger.. There was only one small window and so the room was rather dark in spite of the Austin sun. The biggest problem, however, is the construction work right next to the hotel. I thought I would be safe on a Saturday morning but I was awakened by road work at five a.m. Then using the pool you are surrounded by noise of construction One positive note is that they have a pick-up service from the airport but you have to get the number from them and make the arrangements yourself.. That service was excellent-on time, friendly and efficient.. All in all I think I got pretty much what I paid for but I suspect I could find something really fun, funky or just interesting for the same money. I probably wouldn't come back here.

Room Tip: If you can get a front room there may be less construction noise.
2 Thank riddett
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

...but there are probably better places. While I LOVE the service, location, and breakfast featured at this downtown Austin property, there are so many options nearby that I suspect one (or many?) of them will offer nicer rooms at a comparable price. Sure the size of the suite was ample for my wife and me, it was the quality of the beds (both ours and my son's on the sleeper pullout) and room amenities that left something to be desired. The building, probably an updated structure from the pre-1970's, just seemed to be missing "it" and was in the midst of Austin's downtown construction boom, making navigation by car and foot mildly tricky. I wasn't grossly disappointed because the breakfast was hot and ample, the location was perfect for EVERYTHING (e.g. 6th Street, the bridge bats, SoCo, the Convention Center, running trails along the river, the capital, the University, and destinations beyond this central site), and the staff was GREAT, including the valet who nodded towards the $12/night public parking garage 100 feet away from his $26/night valet stand. All of this being said, I would not avoid staying here, I'd just check other options as well.

4 Thank Wannagetawaymore
martyr750, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the condition of your guest suite. Our property has been approved to undergo room renovations at the end of the year in efforts to maintain the quality of our product. We plan to communicate these comments to our staff in efforts to ensure our beds are comfortable. We hope we can have another chance to show you what our warm Hamptonality is all about here at our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact the Assistant General Manager for any other concerns.