It's been a while since I've stayed at a Hampton Inn and while they've always been nice hotels offering great value with their massive (free) breakfast stay and reasonably priced, clean rooms, they've never really wowed me in appearance. This property, however, does not look like your average Hampton Inn inside or out, in a good way. It's a high-rise property that looks like some of the other swanky, high-end hotels in Downtown Austin and when you get inside, the décor is more stunning than any other Hampton Inn or “inn” property I’ve stayed at, and that’s the décor they currently have. Apparently they’re in they’re going to be remodeling soon or are already in the process. I’m not sure if our room was done recently, but it modern and clean. We had a standard king room on a high floor that had a so-so view. It would have been better, except that most of our view overlooked a building across the way under construction. There was plenty of room to spread out , a large desk area, mini-fridge and good-sized bathroom. The only thing I didn’t like about the bathroom was that if you’re on the toilet and someone opens the door, they’re liable to slam your knees with it, because of the way it opens. A couple nice features that I’ve never seen in any of the many properties I’ve stayed at for business and personal travel was cushioned lap desk complete with elastic straps to hold paper down, and a make-up remover towelette in the bathroom for us ladies, which I was happy to see. Other than that, everything else was expected.
Now for the cons… I didn’t like the tiny pillows. They were square-shaped instead of rectangular, and smaller than a standard sized pillow and really not that comfortable. The breakfast buffet was substantial with many options, but was so crowded when we went that it was hard to get to anything without getting bumped into. The selections were not as good as I had remembered, but that could also be that I just don’t like some of the same things anymore. It was your standard cereals, oatmeal, flavorless scrambled egg taco-looking thing that was supposed to be an omelet, fruits, yogurt cups, and make-your-own waffles. All of the meat products were pork, so we couldn’t eat any of those. (HINT: Get some alternatives to pork!) Not all of the front desk people were very friendly. It wasn’t that they were rude, per se, but just didn’t seem overly excited to be there and lacked in personality. One girl, Brittany, I think, was super nice, though. Finally, the valet situation was a little bit of a mess. When we first arrived, we were in a big hurry to get to the Paul McCartney concert we were there for, and sat in the vehicle for a couple minutes while the valet guy stood at the podium about 25 feet from us. He finally acknowledged we were there and was ready to take the car, but despite seeing all the luggage we were pulling out, came over without the cart and was ready to take the car before getting the luggage situated. On the day we left, the rain was coming down in sheets and while we sat in our vehicle for about 15-20 minutes to finish something up before hitting the road, we watched as all of the incoming guests were dropping off their cars and outgoing were retrieving them, and it was a bit chaotic.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this property to a friend and would likely stay here again, depending on what we’re there for. For those who won’t have a car or just prefer to walk places, there are several good restaurants and bars nearby, including a handful right across the street. Just know that none of them are open very late, so for late-night food, take a pedi cab over to 24 Diner. If you want some good wine, go over to Max’s across the street. You can even take your wine to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown hotel is the perfect location to help you enjoy your downtown Austin activities. Austin is known as the 'Live Music Capitol of the World,' and we help you enjoy it by placing you right next to Sixth Street as well the University of Texas Austin and the Texas State Capitol. Our hotel brings a New Orleans style to Texas with our Bourbon Street style, fitting right in with the "Keep Austin Weird" theme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Hotels.com and Hilton Hotels Direct so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown Hotel Austin
- Hampton Inn And Suites Austin Downtown
- Hampton Inn Austin
- Austin Hampton Inn
- Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown Texas