“The cure for what country music has become in the USA”
Review of The Broken Spoke

The Broken Spoke
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The very definition of a Texas Honky Tonk.
Cheap Lone Star Beer, Sawdust, Cowboy Boots, Asleep at the Wheel, James White.......the best.

3  Thank tomastonelli
"step back in time"
"austin landmark"
"learn how"

Reviewed 10 August 2014

If you're into music history, like to dance, and love honkyntonk music, this is the place to be. Its been in business sinve 1964. Everybody who's anybody has visited the Broken Spoke. Good good too!

Drop in...meet Mr, White, the owner since it opened, have a drink, take some dance lessons, listen to music. Keep your eye on the door too...never know who kight come in...Clint Eastwood, Willie Nelson...ya just never know...

There is a cover charge for music shows...cash only. If you use cards for your food, there is an addditional 5% added...nring cash!

1  Thank Keith R
Reviewed 19 July 2014

First time there and had a great time. My wife and I along with another couple took the Texas 2 step dance lesson (a bit of review for me and new for my wife). This place has been around for a long time and still ran by the original owner. His daughter was our teacher (I'm guessing she was in her 50's) and had the energy of a 25 years old. Everyone who is anyone in the country and western group of entertainers seems to have been in this place or got their start there including Willie Nelson.

If you want a fun night out that won't cost much, listen to good music, and maybe take a dance lesson Texas style, you need to go there at least once.

1  Thank KenGuthrie
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Nice food, and pre-show and The Texas Jamm Band was awesome. Dance lessons prior to show and she was fun although I did not take dance lessons but you could watch. Got to meet some great people. The negative is that when you ordered your food they did not have separate tabs. So I was with 2 other people and I ordered fries (3.75) - the tab came out to 25.00 and she said each person pays 8.75 why all I got is fries and why should I pay more than twice what I paid for. Did not have the type of beer I wanted but o well. I did have a great time.

2  Thank Patricia C
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were visiting Austin for a girls weekend. We took the dance lesson with the owners daughter which was a hoot itself. Then stepped back in time and truly experienced the Texas dance hall of yesterday year! We danced with cowboys of young and old all while hearing an authentic country band. The people were wonderful! No pretense at all. All ages having a really good time! The owner greeted everyone by personally thanking everyone who was there. It was a memorable experience. I am so glad we took the chance and went there.

2  Thank Ammeg46