“Know Before You Go”

Austin Folk House Bed and Breakfast
Austin Folk House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed at this B&B because we were doing a college visit and I wanted my daughter to experience the fun that I've had over the years with a B&B. I think this house is really more of an Annex to the Star of Texas on the next block. We checked in late, so there was a note left for us to get to our room. We also had another note saying breakfast would be served at the Star of Texs since there weren't very many of us. I'm glad it wasn't raining. Coffee was available downstairs in the kitchen. The cook was the only person we met while there except for 2 other guests at breakfast. Breakfast was just ok and served buffet style. A nice texas cockroach joined us along the baseboard. I did let the cook know. That was bad for my daughter, but I know from experience living in Houston, that they appear occassionally. Hopefully, they spray regularly and that was an isolated case. My biggest issue was with the cooling system. Room #9 has one small vent which blows out cold air, but it's not nearly enough as it is positioned in the ceiling by the door. I am cold natured, so I am rarely too hot. About 1:00 am, we were both miserable and I got up to check my options. I found 1 table fan that I positioned right up next to the bed. The vent was wide open. That allowed us to get back to sleep at least, but was still not comfortable. There is a huge construction project going on across the street for new apartments. They start at 7 am. I don't see that being complete any tiome soon. This was my least favorite B&B so far in 20 years. The positives would be that the parking was nice. Parking was really a problem in the area. We didn't have any nighttime noises this time of year since school hadn't started. The beds were comfortable which is always important.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank freetofly1234

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I recently stayed at the Austin Folk House Bed and Breakfast on W. 22nd Street. This was just like staying in a good friend's house! I want to live there all of the time! The B&B has 7 or 8 rooms and must have original been a boarding house or rooming house. I stayed in an upstairs room, had a huge very comfortable bed, and the air conditioning was just perfect on a hot day. The University of Texas is just two short blocks away, which means that shopping and downtown are also close. Breakfast was amazing with thick slabs of bacon, egg casserole, muffins, fresh fruit, and cereal, granola, biscotti, cookies, coffee and orange juice available all day long. The Inn Keeper was friendly and very helpful. Room comes with private bath, plenty of towels and two terry cloth robes. I will definitely stay there again. The price of the room was also great, much less expensive than hotels in same area.

Room Tip: book early if you need a first floor room - no elevator
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Good place to stay in Austin and is close to downtown. Even though its close to the university is still quite and has a great location in the city. It was easy to check in with a note left for me and explanations on what to do. Most B&Bs are more hands on, but overall the laid back hands off approach works well here. Good breakfast in the morning and overall I enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 24 October 2011

If you have business on UT Austin campus, then the Folk House is very convenient. However, if you are a tourist wishing to see Austin, then I suggest you consider alternatives, including the sister establishment, the Star of Texas, one block away.
We have stayed in dozens of B&B's throughout the U.S. Never before have we not seen an innkeeper in the afternoon or evening. We arrived at 5:30 pm and no one was there to greet us or help us settle in. And that is daily practice.
After the breakfast, (served by a pleasant and enthusiastic "inn-keeper") there was no one there to give advice, offer suggestions, etc. Want to use a computer to get email or print out an airline boarding pass? You have to walk down the block to the Star of Texas. Need information about bus schedules? Maybe the Star of Texas can answer your question. Need to know how to get to a leading theater in Austin? Maybe the folks at Star of Texas can answer your question. After all of this, why not just stay at the Star of Texas?
The lawn in front of the house is non-existent. Paint peeled from the window frames in our room. The breakfasts were quite acceptable but not outstanding. And there is only one narrow, winding stairway from the first floor to the second floor (this could be a serious matter if there was a fire in this old building). Need help with your luggage when you arrive? No one is at home. So, tourists should consider their alternatives including the Star of Texas.
[---]

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank pateve97
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Staying at AFH is super convenient to the UT campus- 5 minutes walk- and everything was top notch. My room was incredibly comfortable- super big bed, plus lots of space to put your stuff and make yourself comfortable. Really big bathroom with everything you need- conveniences like blow drier, bath robes, but nice little bonuses like Paul Mitchel shampoo and conditioner. Decor was traditional B&B with an Austin twist- lots of folky paintings and cute details everywhere. Breakfast is great- freshly cooked and delicious. There's always lemonade, soda and wine in the fridge and fresh baked cookies :) Also has a great front porch for hanging out. Only downside is that the neighborhood is noisy, being so close to campus, but they've tried to remedy that by including earplugs and even white noise machines in the rooms. The innkeeper was incredibly nice and seemed to truly care about guests.

Room Tip: Website has pics of each room, I had #7 with the four poster bed :)
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed here with a work colleague while attending a conference at the university which was located about 10 minutes walk away. The B&B was very quiet and set back nicely from the road. The owners were very responsive and helpful when we booked. We didn't arrive until 10pm, but that was no problem - they left a key outside for us.

When we arrived we found that there were three other colleagues from the same conference booked-in there, which was great as we could enjoy the complimentary drinks together out on the deck. There were also complimentary cakes left out for us.

The room was nice - the decoration was very individual and nicely done. The bed had far too many pillows and cushions! :)

Breakfast was amazing - they had a cook (she described herself as a baker) come in each morning to prepare. As well as the normal cereals and coffee, there was always bacon and freshly cooked cakes, muffins, egg dishes etc. We ate far too much because it was so nice.

We never saw the owners while we were there, but the cook was happy to take our payment on the day we left. If I was visiting Austin again, I would definitely stay there again - for the service and food we received, this place was a bargain.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We're longtime B&B people and we've stayed in some very well-run establishments. But never before in a place so completely thought-out. Wine? In the fridge, along with soft drinks, milk, ice. Help yourself. Need something from the kitchen? Go get whatever you want. Cream puffs for breakfast? Why not? Thick-cut baked bacon? Of course. Street noise bother you . . . a couple of hundred feet from the UT campus? Turn on the white noise machine on the bedside table, or here - try the earplugs. And look at the walls, covered with impressionist and surrealist art (instead of the kitschy krap favored by most B&Bs). All this, and maid service, and parking at the back door - in a part of town where parking is usually impossible.

It's owned by the people who own the nearby Star of Texas. When we're in Austin, we'll be staying at one place or the other.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple