“Had Better Experiences at Sleep Inns”

Sleep Inn & Suites N Austin
Ranked #64 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 3 July 2013

This is a new hotel located North of Austin right off I35.. It could have had a higher rating but a number of customer service issues brought the rating down. First, when making the reservation I was very clear that I needed two rooms adjacent or close to each other. I called late in the afternoon to confirm the rooms were close to each other only to be told there was no record of my request. The breakfast offerings were good, cereal, bagels, yogurt, eggs and a meat. However, they ran out of dishes and forks and no one replenished them until we asked. There seemed to be no attention to detail.

The hotel rooms were small with little room to move around in the rooms with two beds. The rooms, bathrooms and rest of the hotel was clean. There is a shopping mall and many restaurants with a mile. We chose the hotel as the price was reasonable, but we have had better service at similar level hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the highway, which can be noisy due to the tractor trailer trucks.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

The hotel is off the access road from highway 35.

It was very clean, roomy and comfortable. The breakfast was pretty good and they had a variety of things. There wasn't too many food options off the little road it was on but there are many restaurants and fast food around the area.

Free wifi and many cable channels available. They had a workout room and an indoor pool, which I didn't use but was a nice option to have.

Not a bad stay for the price.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Great room & quiet too. Very good breakfast & responsive staff. Asked for extra comforter upon leaving for the day & returned to find it neatly folded on bed. Not sure I like the way this area is set up with the interstate & hwy confusion. GPS unsure of location due to hotel only having been open for 1year.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 24 May 2013

off i-35; about 20 minutes north of downtown. very reasonable rate. gym is minimal (1 treadmill, 1 cross trainer, 1 bike) but all equipment is well maintained. staff is friendly. about 1/2 the price of equivalent hotels closer to downtown.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2013

As some of the other reviews indicate, this is a brand new hotel that sits just off of Interstate 35 and is approximately 20 minutes north of downtown Austin. Our prior experiences with Sleep Inns (several years ago) were not great, so I was a bit reluctant to try this one -- but decided to give it a shot based upon the good TripAdvisor reviews. And boy were the reviews right! The hotel was extremely clean. The room, which was on the backside of the hotel, was extremely quiet. And the breakfast was surprisingly good. So, all in all, this is a terrific value, especially when you consider the price of other Austin hotels. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We would recommend a room on the backside of the hotel, away from the interstate.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank plainsrunner
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Look no more if you seeking a clean, comfortable motel in Austin. This one is less than a year old. Pristine clean. Comfortable, quiet rooms. Nice fitness room. Nice indoor pool with an outside area for sunning and sitting around. Great breakfast with a lot of variety. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the highway and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Let me start off by saying, if you are a smoker or are traveling with smokers STAY FAR, FAR AWAY from this particular hotel. The management blatantly discriminates against smokers. It is a 100% smoke-free hotel & they charge a $250 smoking fee. However, they neglect to inform you that if you bring any tobacco products (i.e. wrappers etc.) & dispose of them in your room during the duration of your stay you will be charged the $250 fee as well; even if you never smoke in the room. My friends & I had to find all of this out the hard way. Upon checking out, I was never informed that I would be charged the smoking fee; nor does it appear on my copy of my receipt. Even the day after checking out I called the hotel to inquire about charges (they do separate transactions depending on how many days you stay), spoke to two different employees & was still never informed that I would be charged. During this call I was specifically told that the charges were strictly for the room; nothing about a smoking fee. It wasn't until the smoking fee charge showed up on my bank statement that I was notified. I called the hotel again to ask why I had been charged -- my guests & I never smoked in the room, the room & the towels did not wreak of smoke, the smoke detector never went off, the window had not been tampered with, no butts or ashes were ever in the room, & none of the cleaning staff alerted the management to a smoke smell emitting from our room any time we opened the door -- & was told that they had pictures of tobacco products in Walmart bags that were left in the room & that was their justification to charge me the $250. I attempted to dispute the charge with the manager to no avail. Not only did she ignore me all 11 times I tried to contact her directly myself via phone/email & indirectly via guest relations through their corporate office, but she also refused to review the evidence I provided her on her own surveillance cameras that I cleaned out my truck with the Walmart bags containing the tobacco products before checking out & took it back up to the room (they only have one relatively small guest accessible trash can outside) to ensure that it was properly disposed of & she consequently also refused to give me a refund. After I complained to corporate, I was told that I could only obtain a refund directly through the hotel & if the manager refused to deal with me I was stuck with the charge. The general manager, Jennifer LaRose, still has yet to return any of my phone calls & the staff continues to give me the run around. Because of this I was forced to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau & am currently exploring my legal options. This hotel & its staff, particularly the general manager, aren't worth the headache. Don't waste your money & risk the chance of essentially being robbed.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends