“Perfect Location”
Review of Firehouse Hostel

Firehouse Hostel
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Great staff and location! Breakfast is really great for a hostel. Frsh fruit, great breads. Nutella!!! Loved it here. Only complaint was my room was pretty drafty and my blanket was small so I got pretty chilly at night. They turned on the heat though when asked. Also really lovely shabby chic decor.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 February 2014

The minute i got there i felt at ease. The staff are great and very helpful, the breakfast is pretty amazing for it to be free and in a hostel. Better than some of the inns and hotels i've stayed in! Rooms have storage, (take your own lock), the wooden bunk beds are the better ones in my opinion. Third floor women's bathroom is fine, there's even towels you can take up from the front desk! This brings us to the bar... which is not only located behind the bookcase next to the front desk (how cool is that!), but has an awesome atmosphere, good drinks, bartenders that know what they're doing and help you out... and loads of live music, just check their schedule. I have yet to hear bad live music in Austin. The common room is the perfect place to meet like-minded travellers and make plans together. I've had some of the best times ever with people i met there. Can't recommend this place enough!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I booked this hostel because of its location and the fact that it used to be a fire station. Having been to a few hostels around the US, I was not expecting much. Wow, what a surprise! First things first, I felt home as soon as I walked through the doors! The owners are so welcoming, genuinely happy to help. Nothing, absolutely nothing is too much trouble. The place is obviously in a very convenient location. It's very clean; dorms, kitchen, bathrooms. The breakfast is generous. I strongly recommend anyone to stay at the Firehouse when visiting Austin. I know I'm going back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Florence C
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed here after a work trip for 3 nights. Great dorm room. Really friendly girls in the room for the first 2 nights then I had the 8 bed dorm all to myself on the last night. Beds rather squishy so for the last night I moved onto one of the wooden constructed ones which was much more solid. Never queued for the showers, which were always clean and nice. Breakfast was free- fresh fruit bagels toast condiments and cereal and coffee. Really great when you're trying to keep your stay as cheap as possible. Great location for 6th street if you want to go to see live music. Also close to congress for buses to South congress or out to zilker park. Open mic nigt at the lounge in Wednesdays. I had a great night here by myself. Friendly people an great drinks. All in all a really great place to stay. Bring earplugs for when you want to get some sleep! It gets a little noisy on 6th.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I had stayed here when they first opened, and loved it, so I booked 8 beds in one of the standard dorm rooms for my sister's bachelorette weekend in October. All of the hotel rooms in the area were extremely expensive, so this was a great option for a big group. A few days before our check in date, I was contacted by one of the staff saying that the room I booked had flooded, and we would not be able to stay there. I was stressing out big time... I let them know that it was a bachelorette weekend for my sister, and they went above and beyond and put us up in the Omni down the street. I'm soo grateful, and they handled the whole thing really well. Will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The location couldn't be better! Firehouse Hostel is situated in the middle of Austin downtown and around the corner from the busy 6th street. It offers a bar with live music and a speakeasy kind of vibe as you have to push a book shelf to the side to enter. Dorms are clean and provide enough space. Best place to stay if you're on a budget.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

As my title suggests, there were some good things about the hostel and some bad ones. Good: close proximity to 6th Street, close to all attractions, 24hrs reception, staff good, free wifi. Bad: rooms hot and crowded, wifi played up a bit (but it was free), no cooktops or oven in the kitchen, not the cleanest beds (had dust, hair, fibres, general crap on each side of the mattress), not the best showers.

It'll do for a couple of days stay. Like most hostels run by young people attached to a pub, the little things in the accommodation go missing.

Also, the lounge attached to the hostel is crazy expensive. Find another one of the many many bars for a drink.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo