“Fun Hill Country Vibe”
Review of Lone Star Court

Lone Star Court
Ranked #6 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Good location in North Austin at the Domain mixed-use shopping mall. When I stay in Austin alone, I like to stay near the Domain as opposed to downtown, because I feel safer. It's so easy to walk to the Domain from the Lone Star, the Westin Domain, or the Aloft hotels.

Okay, the hotel. Very cool Austin vibe -- a turquoise blue 40's car parked outside signals that this is not your cookie-cutter hotel. There is also an Airstream food trailer parked on the property, soon to open with Texas food specialties. The hotel is styled after a motor-court motel, but so much cooler! The rooms, in several separate buildings, are ranged around the central courtyard, which contains a pool and several seating areas, some with fire pit, others under cover with a barbecue grill-smoker. One night there was a group of girlfriends who had a wonderful time outside at the fire pit -- their fun was contagious, not at all intrusive. Live music on weekends adds to the relaxed Texas feel. The rooms are accessed from the outside, usually not my choice when staying alone, but the hotel had good security and limited access. The "hallways" are wooden boardwalks, with rocking chairs outside each room -- it was really great to sit outside in the pleasant weather. One night I was tired and headachy, and worried that the music would be bothersome, but I didn't hear a thing in my room.

Inside, the room was more than adequate -- a bit bare-bones, but everything you need: a super comfy bed, a nice couch with coffee table, a desk, a wardrobe, in-room safe, and the very cool Smeg refrigerator, filled with a mini bar (longnecks and local beers - awesome!). On the coffee table, chips and salsa and other local goodies (Bat City Coffee, anyone?) are available at reasonable prices. The bathroom had a sliding barn door -- love that! -- and a nicely tiled walk-in shower (no tub), really nice towels, a magnifying mirror, hair dryer, bathrobe. There was an additional bathrobe in the wardrobe, and that's where I found the coffee maker and safe.

The design was so cool. The desk is a slab of barnwood, the wardrobe is wide-plank pine with the bottom half ombre-painted in the same shade of robin's egg blue as the Smeg refrigerator. The retro-looking couch in my room was orange, with a matching chandelier made of orange felt! Mason jars held the necessities in the bathroom, and (my favorite) there was a metal bucket for filling with ice and longneck beers for your porch sitting in your rocking chair. FUN!!

Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to eat at the hotel, but the menu looked delicious - brisket tacos, local specialties...

There were bikes available for guests' use, and they offered the use of their shuttle to get me to an appointment in the Domain, but I chose to walk. The hotel is not pet-friendly, but did allow service dogs.

Best of all? The PRICE! The Westin at the Domain ranges over $300 a night, and my bill at the Lone Star was $127 a night before taxes. What a deal! I will definitely be back, and next time, I'm staking my claim at the fire pit, baby!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank pcsullivan
Write a ReviewReviews (1,581)

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Such a unique hotel, love the food, rooms, and firepits on the grounds. Friendly staff and great kolaches for breakfast!! There are retro full sized fridges in the rooms and barn doors on the bathrooms, which have large walk in showers. Comfy beds and live music at night round our the whole experience. Beat hotel I've ever stayed at, by far!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Baylorboy625
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This boutique accommodation provides a refreshing change from standard hotels. Great for a girls weekend shopping experience, a couples getaway, or a family launching point. Facility would also be nice for scheduling a team-building business event. Noise level in the room was very quiet in spite of having wonderful live music both nights of our stay. All rooms face an interior courtyard. In fact, it's hard to tell the property is a hotel from the outside. Quite well-designed for privacy and security.

Equipment in the fitness facility is top notch.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank af2rmath
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

This property looks pretty austere from the outside, but within those gates lies the perfect getaway right in the heart of The Domain. Fire pits, picnic pavilion, pool, and true-to-Texas landscaping are all wonderful. On site bar with live music at night is beautiful and is also the location of a more than adequate complimentary continental breakfast (kolaches, biscuits & gravy, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit, cereals, juices, and wonderful coffee. ). The rooms are roomy and we'll appointed in fine vintage Texana style. In room Smeg is the well stocked mini bar too. Rocking chairs on the deep porches outside the rooms are the perfect place to chill. In addition to the wonderful facilities, the staff go out of their way to make your stay perfect. Highly recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suelaine48
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

At first I was surprised the hotel is across from a kind of mall. The parking situation isn't too great until you get a handle on the layout of the hotel. Parking in front and back is a great option that they have. Park in front, walk past restaurant and pool etc. Park in back, security gate using your room card (I like that) and handy stairs or elevators are available.

My room was on the second floor, in direct view of the pool and restaurant/bar. Cute little rocking chairs outside each room, I sat at my arrival in one, listening to live music from the bar, and enjoying the setting sun. Lovely. (By the way, Friday night I drove back 3 hours from Houston, and at 1130 pm hit the bed like a baby, the noise and music from downstairs, Not barely heard thru the walls. Amazing)I really wanted to stay up and hang out, but that drive is Awful.

The room itself, I was impressed. First off, Adorable old timey fridge, sea green with rounded edges. Filled with Drinks, alcoholic and non. (For a fee of course, their version of a mini bar) I didn't partake of any item inside, but I looked quickly to see a few local brews and juices.

Also for a fee, a welcome snack tray, chips and salsa, etc. Also, I didn't snack, but I was tempted.

Bathroom, nice size. Borderline tremendous. Hot water, soft towels, hair dryer, good amount of toiletries and counter space. I'm satisfied.

I didn't use the tv, but it was there and it was a flat screen and a decent size.
Huge closet, ironing board, tiny coffee maker, made good coffee tho. (Bring your own cream, or swipe the tiny packs from 711 up the road like I did)

Now. The bed. Oh the bed. I nearly never left the room bc of this bed. Best bed ever. Best pillows ever. I overslept both days. So comfy. Dangerously comfy. Love.

The only thing I didn't about my stay was the doors. They didn't shut behind you automatically. You had to pull them. And I definitely was driving away one night, and went back to check the door. I certainly think I didn't pull it behind me when I checked out. Too much luggage, come to think about it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ANNMARIE N
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Wonderful beds and linens! Breakfast was fabulous, with fabulous employees. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We were pleasantly surprised with fresh fruit delivered in our room. Very clean and well maintained, with great employees, Lone Star Court shines!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mary S
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

When I'm visiting cities, I like to find off the beaten path places. 'Why stay in the same chain I can stay in at home?', is my thought. Lone Star Court fit the bill exactly. Reasonably priced, free breakfast included. Retro, Hill Country, Austin funky, all rolled into one. Close to my parents an extra bonus. We checked in LATE, band in the bar winding down, was AWESOME, wish we had checked in earlier!! Slept like a log and got protein with breakfast. Can't ask for anything more.

• Stayed: March 2014