“Fabulous hotel very close to Capital and University”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #5 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This is a new hotel built in 2012. We stayed the last weekend of 2012 and were on the 5th floor.

What we loved about it: Great parking garage. High ceilings in the room. Stylish, modern furnishings and decor. Ceiling fan! Balcony. Heated pool. Very cool furnishings around the pool. Exercise room. Laundry facilities. Fabulous, comfy bed and bedding. Fluffy feather pillows. Proximity to downtown, Capital, Texas History Museum. Small fridge in room.

What I disliked: The markings to the hotel entrance are terrible. We drove around the block twice before we figured out where to go. There is a nondescript entrance into the garage where you can also park to check-in which we discovered AFTER we had parked on the street. No coke machines on our floor that we could find. Only one luggage rack/bench in the room.

Overall, we were pretty dang impressed with this hotel! I was shocked when I stepped into our room to see how nice it was. To me, Hampton Inn doesn't translate to trendy, plush or five star, but that is what this hotel is. We called down to ask for two extra pillows and received them promptly. We also took advantage of the free breakfast though we were a bit late to the party and some of the tastier pasties were in other people's bellies. Still, they had bagels, muffins, tarts, cereal, a Texas-shaped waffle maker (!!! loves !!!) and fruit. We totally enjoyed this hotel, would stay there again, and would recommend it to all of our friends and family.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the Capital side of the building. Can't beat that view at night when it...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear RainingCatz,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on tripadvisor about your stay with us. Thank you for appreciating our parking garage. We feel it ads safety and value to our hotel. Thank you for all the things you like about our hotel. We agree, we would put our rooms up against any hotels in teh city of Austin!!!. Our high ceilings, (some rooms with balcoies) and overall decor is very Austin and a truly unique experience. We have a great location in that you can get to the entertainment district without being part of it!!

I understand your frustration with some of the markings to find our hotel. We have a tricky entrance on 17th street. As you may see it as a challenge, we find that having our entrance on a quiet side street helps out with busy traffic better. On days when people are trying to get into and out of the hotel, the sidestreets are safer then being on the busy street. I apologize that you had challenges finding our entrance. I do appreciate that once you did find it that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

I stayed here for a week on a business trip. The location is excellent, just two blocks from the Railroad Commission and very near the Capitol. The hotel is new and both the room and bathroom were spacious and modern. I had a nice little balcony where I could sit out to drink my coffee in the morning. Numerous electrical outlets for charging devices were a nice modern touch. The elevators were fast. The decor is modern and edgy. Late night snacks were available in the lobby. They have a decent breakfast spread in the morning but there is no restaurant or room service. The cons: Only fluorescent lighting in room and bathroom. I know this is the politically correct and "green" way to go, but I've always disliked fluorescent lighting. After a week of nothing but the flickering eye strain inducing bulbs, I despised it. Also, there is no lighted/magnified make-up mirror in the bathroom. This seems to me to be an easy amenity to add, and would make women business travelers more at home. The "business center" consisted of a single desktop computer with a single printer (black and white only) next to the breakfast area (and TV) in the lobby (noisy). In addition there was a laptop bar with outlets for plugging in your own equipment, but there was no privacy. For conference calls, we had to duck into meeting rooms that luckily were not being used. In spite of these cons, I would definitely stay here again. It was a great value.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LagniappeTravel

Dear Lagniappe Travel,

Thank you for commenting on our brand new hotel, which opened October 18th 2012. We agree that our location is excellent and appreciate you taking the time to respond on tripadvisor. We especially appreciate you enjoying one of our balconies to enjoy your morning coffee!! I understand your frustration with our "green" light bulbs and will look at some alternative options for the future. I understand that our lobby can be noisy, but I am glad that you were able to get into one of our meeting rooms. I am glad that you found that our hotel was a great value and look forward to you next visit to Austin.

Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

This Hampton Inn does not feel like or resemble any other Hampton Inn I have ever stayed at. I'm a Hilton Honors member and have stayed at many different properties in Austin. This is absolutely the best hotel for the price located close to UT and a short cab ride to Rainey Street, ACL Fest, SXSW, 6th street and Capitol.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Kwelker,

Thank you for the feedback on tripadvisor. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing. THANK YOU FOR STATING THAT THIS IS THE BEST HOTEL FOR THE PRICE. We agree, our hotel rooms are the best in the city. With high ceilings and a truly Austin decor, we differentiate ourselves from the hotels that are standard city to city. We enjoy working to give our guests a truly "Austin" experience and appreciate your comments on "The best kept secret in the Hilton chain". We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

This hotel is a boutique style that is just as nice as a Doubletree, or Hilton. The location is wonderful since it is three blocks from the UT campus and four blocks from the state capitol. The room was cozy, clean, spacious, and decorated nicely. They served a great breakfast as well.

1  Thank PamPPR

Dear PamPPR,

thank you for the response on Tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback as this is a source of good information that helps us improve our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about our "boutique hotel" as that is how we often describe it. It is a quality that helps differentiate us from the standard hotels you see in our city. We take great pride in "keeping austin weird" and our decor and staff do an amazing job. Thank you for commenting on our location and comparing us to other hotels in the area. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

You could tell this was a new hotel. It was absolutely lovely. The only complaints were as follows: Hampton Inns apparently don't have folding luggage racks anymore, but instead have a bench at the bottom of the bed where I guess you are to put your luggage. However, if you have more than one suitcase, you have to put it on the floor, and I don't like to do that. Also, breakfast was wonderful on the first day we were there, but on the second day it was like a different place. The oatmeal was runny, we had to ask for regular syrup for the waffles (they only had sugar free), there was no fruit, and everything else need replenished. We were not there towards the end of the breakfast either. It just needed attention. Also, when we checked in we were told the price for the two nights. When we checked out, we were charged more for the second night than for the first. We understand this is common to charge at any hotel different rates on weekdays versus weekends, but we were very disappointed that we were not told up front. If we would have said something at checkout I feel it would have been adjusted, but I don't like to do things like that. The cost was really very good, so we would probably stay there again. It is very close to the university, Bob Bullock Museum, and the capitol.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Funhogs2,

Great name by the way! Thank you for the feedback on tripadvisor. Thank you for the comments about our hotel being "absolutely lovely". I assume you were in one of our King rooms. We have luggage racks in our queen / queen rooms and apologize that our luggage space was not adequate. We will work on getting extra to make sure guests with multiple pieces of luggage are happy. We are looking at adding items to our breakfast for the future and Hampton is working to improve on its breakfast this year. I apologize for the runny oatmeal, however I have been checking it everyday since your post and i am working with the breakfast staff to make sure the oatmeal is not runny. I understand that we did not replenish the breakfast and will work to improve on that. Yes, sometimes the charges in Austin can fluctuate and I apologize that perhaps we did not communicate that to you at the time of check in. We will make sure our staff improves on that, I know at the time the reservation is made our reservation agents go over the dates of arrival and deperture and any rate changes. Again, apologies for not being more clear. I am glad the cost was good and you were happy with the value of our hotel. We look forward to fixing thie minor issues you had with our hotel and would love the opportunity to have you stay with us again,

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Our visit during the holidays was very very good. The room and its decor was excellent. I felt like a royal visitor - the staff was gracious and kind. I really like the Austin, University and Southwest decor .. The breakfast room was comfortable and food was very enjoyable. We slept well and were ready to greet each day during our visit. The staff has been well trained and were tuned into your needs and requests. I do appreicate the overall design that went into this facility. I will return and will tell my Texas Exes friends to always book a room here. Mira

1  Thank mirabelle36_12
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Dear Mirabelle36_12,

thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor, we appreciate all feedback to help us know when to improve things and when we have done things right. Thank you for the comments on our "excellent hotel, staff and decor". We appreciate that our hardwork is appreciated by you!!! Thank you for the comments about our staff and noticing the details on our hotel. We believe our local artists "austin" contributions and overall design, really seperate us from our competition. We are doing our best to "keep austin weird" and appreciate that you noticed it. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We were in town for an overnight during the holidays. They had oversold the Queen rooms so Hampton upgraded 2 of our rooms to king suites with balconies that had views of the Capital and the UT campus. The hotel was clean, new, well appointed and very comfortable. We slept great and the bed was very comfortable. I wouild bring my family here again for the vlaue per dollar.

1  Thank Arlene H

Dear Arlene H,

Thank you for the feedback in regards to your stay with us here at the Hampton Inn and Suites Austin @ The University/ Capitol. We are glad you appreciated the suite that you stayed in and loved our bedding package. I know we take great pride in the details of our hotel and offer and upgraded bedding package. We belive this seperates us from our competitiors and will bring back repeat customers. We agree that some of our rooms have the best views in the City and appreciate your feedback. We look forward to your return visit!