Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Omni Austin Hotel Downtown(Austin)
1,440 results
All reviewsunderground parkinggreat hotelwalking distancerooftop poolceiling fanfifth floorcapital buildingwould definitely stay here againfree breakfastking suiteroom keycorner roomfresh fruitfront desk staffwonderful stayoatmealconvenient location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Rooms were clean, bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately not much has been done to keep the room noise down: you can clearly hear your neighbors running water, noises outside the hotel (I was on the fourth floor), etc. If you travel with ear plugs or a sound machine you could probably stay here.
There is a $19 charge for parking yourself in the hotel garage. Since you only have access with your room key, I think this is asking for a bit much--after all, you're paying for a room and they don't have to charge a fee to keep students or others from using the garage. The morning breakfast is free, but oriented toward meat eaters.

Room Tip: A higher floor might get you away from the early morning sounds of garbage collectors emptying dumpsters, but maybe not. Try above the fourth floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Snailkite
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2013

Dear Snailkite,

Thank you for the feedback on tripadvisor. I was disapointed to hear that our bed was uncomfortable. We take great pride in our truly Austin Hotel and I know our owner paid to have upgraded mattresses installed in this hotel. I was disapointed to read that your experience with our bed was not to your expectations. We also installed an upgraded Microfiber custom sheet that you will not find at any other Hampton Inn with these upgraded sheets. I was also suprised to hear you had issues with hearing water runnng. I was sorry to hear that. In regards to our parking we charge what our other hotels charge in the same downtown. I do agree that the garbage trucks kept you up. I am working to have them pick up our trash at a later time.

regards,

Reviewed 15 January 2013

The Hampton Inn & Suites is more than a hotel and never during all my numerous journeys have I met such nice staff. Sean, the hotel manager, was such a friendly and nice man and he personally took care of us during our stay at the hotel. The staff, Steve among others, was exceptional and they upgraded us to a suite from a double room without additional charges and sent us free shrimp cocktails to a restaurant they booked for us! The rooms are beautifully furnished, ultraclean and spacious and the sheets and duvet covers are changed every day. The position is great and all Austin is within walking distance. Our son, Marco, who started studying at the University of Texas at Austin, reached the university in 5 minutes and we reached the city center in merely 10-15 minutes. The breakfast is very complete with everything from porridge, fresh waffles, all kinds of bread, marmalades, peanut butter, cheese, fresh fruit, freshly made fruit salad, yoghurt, omelettes, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, muffins of various kinds, coffee, tean and chocolate. Furthermore there are coffee/tea-making machines in every room and in the lobby. I will definitely return to the Hampton Inn & Suites not only for the wonderful hotel facility in itself, but also for all the friends we made there!!!! Thank you Sean your staff for everything and arrivederci!!!!! From Marie Jansen with family in Rome

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 6Marie
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear 6Marie,

Greetings from the states! Thank you for your ultra kind words in regards to our staff and hotel. We appreciate the feedback and our entire staff enjoyed your visit. You and your family were a pleasure to have at the hotel and we look forward to your return visit. Per our last converstion, I may look for a room should I travel to Rome :). We agree with your comments about the hotel and enjoy making our guests happy. Steve, and our staff go far out of there way to take care of guests adding thieri own personal touch! We look forward to your next visit!!!

Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

I was surprised what a great room we got at this Hampton Inn. This is not your cookie cutter HI that you will find along every highway in America. The common areas have some great personality and the rooms are very modern without being stark. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Dear Snorkelrich,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Tripadvisor. Thank you for noticing the details of our "Austin" hotel. We are not a cookie cutter hotel and appreciate that you took the time to notice our public areas as having "personality" and the detail of our modern rooms. We take great pride in keeping our hotel clean and giving great service to our guests. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 7 January 2013

This is a new hotel built in 2012. We stayed the last weekend of 2012 and were on the 5th floor.

What we loved about it: Great parking garage. High ceilings in the room. Stylish, modern furnishings and decor. Ceiling fan! Balcony. Heated pool. Very cool furnishings around the pool. Exercise room. Laundry facilities. Fabulous, comfy bed and bedding. Fluffy feather pillows. Proximity to downtown, Capital, Texas History Museum. Small fridge in room.

What I disliked: The markings to the hotel entrance are terrible. We drove around the block twice before we figured out where to go. There is a nondescript entrance into the garage where you can also park to check-in which we discovered AFTER we had parked on the street. No coke machines on our floor that we could find. Only one luggage rack/bench in the room.

Overall, we were pretty dang impressed with this hotel! I was shocked when I stepped into our room to see how nice it was. To me, Hampton Inn doesn't translate to trendy, plush or five star, but that is what this hotel is. We called down to ask for two extra pillows and received them promptly. We also took advantage of the free breakfast though we were a bit late to the party and some of the tastier pasties were in other people's bellies. Still, they had bagels, muffins, tarts, cereal, a Texas-shaped waffle maker (!!! loves !!!) and fruit. We totally enjoyed this hotel, would stay there again, and would recommend it to all of our friends and family.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the Capital side of the building. Can't beat that view at night when it's all lit up.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear RainingCatz,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on tripadvisor about your stay with us. Thank you for appreciating our parking garage. We feel it ads safety and value to our hotel. Thank you for all the things you like about our hotel. We agree, we would put our rooms up against any hotels in teh city of Austin!!!. Our high ceilings, (some rooms with balcoies) and overall decor is very Austin and a truly unique experience. We have a great location in that you can get to the entertainment district without being part of it!!

I understand your frustration with some of the markings to find our hotel. We have a tricky entrance on 17th street. As you may see it as a challenge, we find that having our entrance on a quiet side street helps out with busy traffic better. On days when people are trying to get into and out of the hotel, the sidestreets are safer then being on the busy street. I apologize that you had challenges finding our entrance. I do appreciate that once you did find it that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit with us.

GM

Reviewed 6 January 2013

I stayed here for a week on a business trip. The location is excellent, just two blocks from the Railroad Commission and very near the Capitol. The hotel is new and both the room and bathroom were spacious and modern. I had a nice little balcony where I could sit out to drink my coffee in the morning. Numerous electrical outlets for charging devices were a nice modern touch. The elevators were fast. The decor is modern and edgy. Late night snacks were available in the lobby. They have a decent breakfast spread in the morning but there is no restaurant or room service. The cons: Only fluorescent lighting in room and bathroom. I know this is the politically correct and "green" way to go, but I've always disliked fluorescent lighting. After a week of nothing but the flickering eye strain inducing bulbs, I despised it. Also, there is no lighted/magnified make-up mirror in the bathroom. This seems to me to be an easy amenity to add, and would make women business travelers more at home. The "business center" consisted of a single desktop computer with a single printer (black and white only) next to the breakfast area (and TV) in the lobby (noisy). In addition there was a laptop bar with outlets for plugging in your own equipment, but there was no privacy. For conference calls, we had to duck into meeting rooms that luckily were not being used. In spite of these cons, I would definitely stay here again. It was a great value.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LagniappeTravel

Dear Lagniappe Travel,

Thank you for commenting on our brand new hotel, which opened October 18th 2012. We agree that our location is excellent and appreciate you taking the time to respond on tripadvisor. We especially appreciate you enjoying one of our balconies to enjoy your morning coffee!! I understand your frustration with our "green" light bulbs and will look at some alternative options for the future. I understand that our lobby can be noisy, but I am glad that you were able to get into one of our meeting rooms. I am glad that you found that our hotel was a great value and look forward to you next visit to Austin.