Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #6 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Washington DC
“A step above”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Stayed here for SXSWI and it was great to be away from the crowds, but close enough for a good walk to downtown. The room was big, well designed and appointed, (same for the bath) and that bed... I think one of the comfiest beds I've ever been in. Great views from the 7th floor, and I had a balcony terrace! The workout room was fine. The continental breakfast was the least favorable thing about the place. Could use some fresh rethinking. BUT, the staff was helpful and friendly. With zipcar, you can usually find one right around the area, for any trekking you'd do.

Room Tip: corner rooms rock.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear Dan B,

Thank you for taking the time to post on tripadvisor. I couldn't agree with you more. I appreciate that you noticed that we LOVE our location. You can get into the entertainment with a short walk without being part of it. Overall, SXSW was fantastic and we were glad to have you stay with us. I agree, our beds are fantastic and make for a great night sleep. I agree about our breakfast and will work with our staff to see if we can come up with something better. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Regards,
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
boston,ma
Reviewed 5 March 2013

This hotel was very stylish, modern and sleek. It doesn't feel like a big chain. The Front desk staff was very friendly and welcoming. It is an excellent value, with breakfast included. Not the best breakfast, but good and lots of choices. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sandysting,

Thank you for the comments about our hotel on tripadvisor. We appreciate your comments about our staff. We appreciate you noticing our complimentary breakfast and value. We look forward to your next visit.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We just spent one night at the Hampton Inn @ University/ Capitol in Austin for the purpose of testifying in support of a bill being presented at the Texas Capitol. All I can say about this Hampton is WOW!

First, let me say we used Hilton Honors points to reserve this room. We had just done the same in Oakland, CA and had a totally different experience. Upon arrival at this Hampton, we were thanked for being Hilton Honors Diamond members, were given snacks and bottled water, and were treated just as if we were paying full price for the room. The staff was exceptional in both courtesy and service and called us by name each time we encountered them!

The room was spotlessly clean, large and beautifully decorated, and had one of the most comfortable beds of any hotel we have ever stayed in. We both commented on it's comfort the next morning. The amenities were lovely and the room was quiet and extremely comfortable. The shower water remained at a constant temperature throughout my shower and the water pressure was adequate, which we find quite unusual in hotel showers.

The location of this Hampton is convenient (a short walk) to the Texas State Capitol as well as to the University of Texas campus. Parking is underground and is VERY convenient (and costs money!).

We travel around the country for work and stay in Hilton properties on a weekly basis. This is absolutely the nicest Hilton property we have stayed in. We are SO impressed! We are looking for an excuse to go back!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter and have no street noise at all.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Enstedda,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on trip advisor about your stay. Thank you for describing our hotel as WOW!. I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for recognizing our staff and I am so happy how they treated you. Thank you for the kind comments about our housekeeping staff and the comforts of your room. We appreciate that you were impressed and look forward to your next visit.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We stayed here on Saturday, February 23, 2013. We've stayed at the Hampton Inn on San Jacinto and 2nd Street multiple times. This hotel is different from your typical Hampton brand. It's sleek, modern and brand new. When we arrived, the check in process was not very smooth. We were waiting for a good 5-10 minutes while the two front desk associates were finishing up helping their customers. When one of the employees were finished, they looked at a guest that just arrived behind us five minutes ago and asked them to come to the desk. It's pretty annoying (after you've been on a long car ride) to stand in line for awhile and the associate doesn't even bother to recognize the order in which the customers arrived for assistance.

The Good:

1. Location Location

2. We had a room on the second floor with a balcony. The terrace is huge, and you could just hang out there and have drinks in the evening or coffee in the morning It was directly across the street from two restaurants.

The Bad:

1. We had a stain on our duvet. Not sure if it was blood, coffee, or makeup. It was pretty disgusting and wanted to make sure I didn't touch it. They have a little stick note they put on the headboard that the sheets were washed and cleaned for each guest. Not sure how housekeeping could have missed this. Pictures included.

2. The walls were paper thin. It reminded me of the days I went to UT and stayed in the dorms. I could hear everything my next door neighbor was doing. You could hear every spoken word. I felt like I was watching the same TV Show they had playing. It was very audible.
It's near downtown and UT, so don't expect to sleep. The guests get in very late and make a lot of noise. My wife and I had a hard time sleeping with all the noise.

3. None of the TV's were working in the fitness room. They said they provide ear buds and none were available.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Yong K,

Thank you for your feedback in regadrs to our hotel on tripadvisor. I was disapointed that we scored average with you. Thank you for describing our unique hotel. I spoke with Emily who checked you in and she was disapointed that you felt that you were ignored at a busytime duirng check in. She stated that she couldn't tell who was first and offered to help the next person in line and that someone must hae steped in front of you. I apologize and you hav given us an opportunity to correct that issue. I don't want any guest to feel that we were ignoring them. The stain on the duvet cover is bothersome to me. I know we have a great staff and and shocked that our housekeeper and inspector both mssed that stain. I do apolgoize and hope we can make it up to you on your next stay. In regards to our "paperthin walls", I was disapointed to hear that about your stay, I have not heard complaints about our walls being to thin, on occasion we have guests who are enjoying their stay more then others and have had complaints about noise. I do not understand the TV's not working in the fitness center. I went to check and they all worked when I check. Sorry for all the challenges you had during your stay.
Again, thank you for giving us an opportunity to work on some of the challenges you pointed out during your stay.
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This new hotel was the nicest Hampton Inn I have stayed in to date! Vaulted ceilings and beautiful modern furnishings in all the rooms. My room also had a large balcony overlooking the UT campus. The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to UT campus, the capitol, 6th Street/downtown areas and easy road access to I-35 and Mopac to get around the entire city. My only complaint with this hotel was that my room did not seem very clean--there was hair all over the bathroom & on the comforter of the bed when I arrived, some in the sheets, as well. Had the hotel not been nearly brand new I would have been extremely unhappy but I'm assuming housekeeping must have just missed cleaning the floors and that the hair on my bedding got stuck on there when it was washed/dried.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Dear Allie T,

Thank you for responding to tripadvisor! We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for calling us the "nicest Hampton Inn you have stayed in to date". We agree that we have a beautiful product and great location. We have beautiful decor and a great "keep Austin Weird" theme that really seperate's us from other hotels in the area. I apologize for our mis step in housekeeping and have addressed the issue with our staff. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know so we can make your next stay with us great. Thank you for stating that we have a great location and we agree that you can enjoy the vibrant entertainment district of Austin, without the noise and challenges that go with having a room in the middle of the party.

We look forward to having stay with us again,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My friend and I stayed here from 2/17-2/22. What a wonderful experience!

Location- the location is perfect! Seriously a five minute walk to the Capitol, a 5 minute walk to the University area, and a 10/15 minute walk to Congress Street/Downtown/6th Street. An excellent way to walk off.......

THE BREAKFAST!- my friend and I adored this spread. It makes every penny worth it. I think we each had about 4 meals each morning! The oatmeal, fruit, waffles, etc, all wonderful. The "ToGo" bags were great as well since they included essential water bottles, perfect to bring when trekking around Austin!

The Staff- I feel like I abused my phone privileges on this trip, calling down to the front desk about 5 times a day. But they helped me with everything I needed! Printing directions to San Antonio, helping us choose where to get pizza, information about the gym, etc. If we annoyed the staff they never let on! : )

Other- useful fitness facility, a rooftop that offers unparalleled views of the Austin skyline (I actually had a dream about it last night, the Capitol building illuminated at night, is breathtaking!), an excellent sundries shop, coffee available 24 hours a day, and the most comfortable beds you will ever sleep in (it felt like I was sleeping on a cloud!)

Now I am back in Boston and wish I could still call 1701 Lavaca home! If I ever return to Austin that will be where I'm heading. Should any friends or family need a recommendation as to where to stay in Austin I will without hesitation suggest this Hampton. Thank you to all staff members, cheers from Massachusetts!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ForzaRocca
Dear FozaRocca,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to tripadvisor. I was thrilled to see that you thought our hotel was "perfection". Our hotel is unique and we take great pride in working to "keep austin weird" and give our guests a fantastic experience. I agree that we have a fantastic location! We have a great breakfast and appreciate that you took the time to describe it. Our staff takes great pride in taking care of guests request and was glad to see that we were able to help you needed. I was delighted to see that you want to make our hotel your new home.

Cheers,

Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2013

My college-bound son and I stayed here from 2/17-2/20. The location cannot be beat if you're visiting the University of Texas, and since the hotel has only been open 4 months, I figured it would have to be good. It was average.

The first night, we did not have hot water; after a very lengthy travel day, this was an unwelcomed surprise. "Emily" at the front desk handled it very well, and promptly moved us to a new room. She acknowledged that the lower floors sometimes lose hot water when the building is full...ugh. But, she did move us up to a higher floor. Everything was fine, so I thought.

In the middle of the night, each time the heating and a/c unit tripped on, it sounded like a helicopter taking off over my bed. Neither my son nor I could sleep through this. I had the raise the ambient temperature quite high to shut it off, and of course, it was also too hot to sleep. The next morning, I mentioned this to "Steve" at the front desk, and he said he would look in to it.

"Steve" came to our room, and he was shocked at the noise level from the a/c unit. He immediately put the wheels in motion to relocate us a second time, and helped move us to a different room on a different floor. When we got to our next room, I needed to put some medication in the refrigerator, and discovered the prior guest's leftover food still in the fridge. Uhhhh, disgusting. Steve was embarrassed, and he told us he was going to comp us a night, for the lack of hot water the night before, and put the general manager in touch with us because this was just not right. This was a comedy of errors, each step of the way.

The next day, I did speak with "Sean" the general manager. As I said above, great service. No doubt, Hampton Inn/Hilton does a fine job training their staff to attend to the guests' needs. "Sean" was appropriately apologetic, told me he was going to waive a second night's charge, as well as waive the parking fees for the entire visit. While the a/c unit in this third room was also a little noisy, I got the sense that the staff was truly embarrassed that such a new hotel would have these issues and went out of their way to try and make it up to us. While the physical plant in this building needs some kinks worked out, the staff, from the top-down is top-notch, and I appreciated their efforts to try and make things right.

As for the rest of the hotel, the free breakfast was nothing fancy...some basic food-service breakfast foods, plus fresh waffles that you serve yourself. To me, the most important component was the coffee, which was hot and strong enough to keep me going for the university tour.

Overall, I would stay here again, mostly due to location, but I would make sure ahead of time that the kinks were worked out. Given the staff's approach, I believe the issues are being worked on.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor to ensure hot water
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EjwEsq
Dear EjwEsq,

Thank you for the feedback on tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback. I was disapointed that we were average but understand that during your stay we had some mishaps. I appreciate you noticing our service and location as being great. I agree we do have a fantastic location, especially if you are visiting the Universtiy of Texas. While our service and location were great I do recall that we had some building issues that had an impact on your stay. I understand that we had water pressure / heat issues while you were here. We have the building contractors and engineers working on the issue and hope to have it fixed as soon as possible as this is a priortiy for the hotel. I believe part of the issue with the noise was from the circulation pump that is part of the challenge with the hot water. Again, we are working to get that corrected. The third issue with moving you to a new room was our service challenge. We have a policy that when we move a guest, that a manager checks the room. We checked the room but didn't look in the refrigerator. I know we were embarrased and I apolgoize for missing that on our check. We hope your son picks the University of Texas and you come and visit again. We would love the opprotunity to show you our "fixed" issues you had.