“Love, love loved it !!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #5 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Last few trips to Austin, I stayed in, some total dump on i35 ( based on kayak reviews), Barton creek, Four seasons, and the Driskill. The latter three all had some pluses and minuses.

The Hampton inn, for the money, is a top 3 all time find. Very modern, clean, comfortable, convenient, I could go on and on. My top likes: Location by UT, spacious rooms, with ALL the necessary cable channels, fitness room is fabulous, pool with a view, free wifi that works, coffee in room, fridge in room, solid free breakfast--they even have a laundry room that we didn't use but maybe next time!

My only dislike is the normal downtown parking garage fee, but they had plenty of free short term parking for check in, and plenty of metered street parking as an alternative.

I am coming back!

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear David W, we thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoy our hotel so much and were able to enjoy all that our hotel has to offer. Our location and spacious room is what sets us apart from other hotels in the area and it's great you got to enjoy these features. We look forward to having you stay with us on your next trip to Austin!

GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,421)

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I generally prefer to stay at Hiltons and Doubletrees because they are usually nicer than Hampton Inns. I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Austin with my family because it was cheaper and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is less than a year old and is very nice and clean. Definitely a step up from other Hampton Inns where I have stayed in the past.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Todd S, Thank you for your pleasant review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all feedback and use it to better our hotel every day. I am pleased you chose to stay with us on your recent trip to Austin and we were able to make you "pleasantly surprised". We appreciated your compliments of our hotel's cleanliness. We hope you choose to stay with us for your next trip in Austin!

Sincerly,

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed here two nights and were really happy with this hotel. We had a break in meetings and thought we would check in at noon, or at least let the hotel know we were close by in case we did not get back by until late in the evening. Leslie was very pleasant and much to our surprise we were able to check in and drop our bags off in our room! On our way out, Leslie saw us and asked if everything was okay with the room, which we thought was nice.

The room was nice and clean, the beds were very comfortable and the sheets were so awesome I looked at the tag and came home and tried to order a set online. There was a small fridge and coffee maker in the room. The hotel offers a free, buffet-style breakfast which had a lot of variety and was very good; there were some different selections each day. Wifi is free, which I believe all hotels should offer. Parking was $18 per day in the garage which was located directly under the hotel. You must scan your room key in order to access the garage, and you must also scan your room key to use the elevators. At first, it was a hassle to remember to keep the key card readily available for all of this scanning, but then I soon realized I liked the security it offered for parking and access to the rooms.

The a/c unit in the room was a little loud when it turned on in the middle of the night and usually woke me up, but it was efficient. However, the room itself was very quiet, and one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in (I was a flight attendant for many years, trust me on this). Be prepared, the room door is very heavy, but it definitely keeps the hall noise out of the room. One morning I did not realize housekeeping was in the room next to me cleaning until I walked out of my room. The housekeeper had the radio on loud enough that I could hear it in the hallway, but I never heard it in my room next door.

The hotel is an easy walking distance to the UT campus and the capitol. We did walk all the way down Congress Avenue to the "bat bridge" and back, of course stopping by 6th street on the way, and while it was a long walk we enjoyed the exercise and scenery. There are a couple of restaurants by the hotel, and a package store close by, too.

The pool on the 5th floor is very small, but I did not plan on swimming anyhow. What we did enjoy was sitting on the deck, watching the sun go down, and the lights on the capitol building turning on - it was very nice.

I liked this hotel and location - very clean and quiet, and the employees were all very pleasant and accommodating. I will stay here again, and even made future reservations upon checkout.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear TravelFan5355

Thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor, we appreciate all feedback. I'm glad we were able to accommodate your request for an early check-in. I am very proud of our Front Desk staff and their outstanding service. Thank you for taking the time to notice their efforts. Our hotel has many amenities which I'm glad you were able to enjoy, it is one thing that we believe sets us apart from other hotels in the area. I'm sorry our a/c unit woke you up at night; I will have our staff look at the room you stayed in to assess any issues with the unit. Our pool lounge is also something that we believe sets our hotel apart from others with its spectacular views of the sunset and "the lights on the capitol building "; it’s certainly worth checking out when staying at our hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Our family spent the weekend here as we are visiting the city of Austin for the first time. Great location! We walked to the Bob Buller Museum, State Capitol, Guadalupe Street/UT and TONS of food all nearby :) The hotel is nice and clean, rooftop pool is on the smaller side, but still nice for a cool down dip. Breakfast is standard, but clean/good. Overall, we have enjoyed the hotel and would return/recommend :)

Room Tip: Maybe request pool side view, otherwise it is just power lines/top of buildings.

Dear Elchuchoperucho

Thank you for responding to tripadvisor, we appreciate all feedback. I'm thrilled you enjoyed our location as we are located near many points of interest in Austin. I'm also pleased to hear you were satisfied with our "nice and clean" hotel, our housekeeping staff works hard to keep our hotel sparkling clean. We look forward to your future stays with us!

Reviewed 27 June 2013

A leisure weekend in Austin was highlighted by our being upgraded to a corner suite on the top floor of this new hotel. What a surprise! Great new hotel near the Capital and the University of Texas campus. A real pleasant trip!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear David M,

Thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your upgraded room in our new hotel, which opened in October 2012. I’m pleased you were able to take advantage of our location as we are situated just 4 blocks from the Capitol and just 2 blocks from the University of Texas. I'm glad our hotel made for a "real pleasant trip" for you. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 22 June 2013

This is a good, newer hotel near the university. The rooms are spacious, clean and have comfortable beds.

The good:
- Looks like a fairly new hotel. Rooms have high ceilings and are comfy.
- Decent breakfast selection.
- Location is very good if you want to stay near the university. It's a bit of walk to downtown though the bus stops right at the hotel if you need to catch one.

The bad:
- Service. We didn't like the fact that we were treated like second class guests. Our flight was coming in really late at night so I called the hotel to see if they would keep a good quiet room for us (not an upgrade, just a quiet room). The first thing they mention is that since we booked the hotel through a travel website that they can't necessarily give us a good room, that only a certain rooms are kept for those tiers e.t.c. The receptionist tells us that if a Hilton reward member wanted our room, that they would have to move us and give it to them - who says that to guests as they are checking in???
Why do hotels treat guests who did not book through their websites like 2nd grade "guests"?? They are fine advertising their business on travel sides but don't really like it when guest purchase a room through them. Come on, we can afford the rooms, just don't treat us like that.

If we ever visit Austin again, we would not stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear TheTravelingG,

Thank you for responding to tripadvisor, we appreciate all feedback. Thank you for noticing that our rooms are clean, spacious, & comfortable, good breakfast and location. Thank you for reporting what is clearly a training issue. I apologize that our staff made you feel like second tier guests. I have used this post as an example of how not to treat guests and do apologize that you had this experience. As you can tell by reading our tripadvisor reports, we have a great staff. I would the opportunity to make up for the experience you had with us and I don't ever want guests. Again, I am incredibly sorry that our staff made you feel like a second tier guest and we will correct the behavior immediately.

Apologies,

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Our room was very spacious and very clean. The rooms have high ceilings which gives you the sense of even more space. Beds were great - very comfortable. Walking distance to the State Capital and The University of Texas.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Tony M G,

Thank you for the kind words on tripadvisor. I appreciate you taking the time to notice that our room was spacious and very clean, & have high ceilings. I agree our beds are great and we offer an upgraded bedding package and sheets. We are central to all Austin has to offer. We look forward to your next visit to Austin.