Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #6 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 5 July 2013

we stayed at this hotel to be central to lots of different things in Austin. It was quite easy to get to and from and we were lucky to never experience much of the Austin traffic since we were generally traveling outside of those busy times. The hotel is within walking distance of a lot of things and is really a nice hotel. It seems like it is brand new. The breakfast was great, the kids enjoyed it. Parking was kind of pricey, but that's everywhere in Austin.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear Stephanie Marti...S, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are a newer property having opened in October of 2012. I’m pleased you were happy with our complimentary breakfast and that your kids were able to enjoy it as well. Our parking prices reflect that of the Austin market. We hope to see you soon!

GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,384)

Reviewed 4 July 2013

This Hampton is a good choice in Austin. It is a modern, clean, quiet hotel in a good downtown location, close to the Capitol. There is underground parking, typical Hampton breakfast, professional helpful staff. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear daetime, thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted we were "a good choice in Austin" for you. I am also pleased you were able to take advantage of all our hotel has to offer; location, complimentary breakfast, proximity to attractions, and of course our team members. We look forward to your next stay will us!

Reviewed 3 July 2013

The hotel is fabulous and for a great price. Beds are more comfortable than at home. Rooms are well furnished. You could not find a hotel better located for everything that you want to do. Excellent, courteous, and responsive staff. Just tell them what you need or want and they make sure you have it your way. Best five days in a Hotel ever.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Amnesia2, Thank you for the wonderful review; we appreciate all feedback. I'm glad we were able to meet all of your expectations and make your 5 days with us enjoyable. I appreciate your compliments of our staff and will pass it along to them. We appreciate everything they do here for our guests and it's great you took the time to notice. We look forward to you next stay with us and hope we can make it another “best 5 days in a hotel!”

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Nicely refurbished older building with easy access to UT, entertainment/music and downtown. Comfortable beds, clean rooms, good breakfasts and a wonderful, helpful staff. Totally enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Mark M, Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast and our "wonderful and helpful staff." Our staff works hard to make sure the guest has the best experience possible and I am happy you appreciated their hard work. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Last few trips to Austin, I stayed in, some total dump on i35 ( based on kayak reviews), Barton creek, Four seasons, and the Driskill. The latter three all had some pluses and minuses.

The Hampton inn, for the money, is a top 3 all time find. Very modern, clean, comfortable, convenient, I could go on and on. My top likes: Location by UT, spacious rooms, with ALL the necessary cable channels, fitness room is fabulous, pool with a view, free wifi that works, coffee in room, fridge in room, solid free breakfast--they even have a laundry room that we didn't use but maybe next time!

My only dislike is the normal downtown parking garage fee, but they had plenty of free short term parking for check in, and plenty of metered street parking as an alternative.

I am coming back!

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear David W, we thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoy our hotel so much and were able to enjoy all that our hotel has to offer. Our location and spacious room is what sets us apart from other hotels in the area and it's great you got to enjoy these features. We look forward to having you stay with us on your next trip to Austin!

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I generally prefer to stay at Hiltons and Doubletrees because they are usually nicer than Hampton Inns. I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Austin with my family because it was cheaper and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is less than a year old and is very nice and clean. Definitely a step up from other Hampton Inns where I have stayed in the past.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Todd S, Thank you for your pleasant review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all feedback and use it to better our hotel every day. I am pleased you chose to stay with us on your recent trip to Austin and we were able to make you "pleasantly surprised". We appreciated your compliments of our hotel's cleanliness. We hope you choose to stay with us for your next trip in Austin!

Sincerly,

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed here two nights and were really happy with this hotel. We had a break in meetings and thought we would check in at noon, or at least let the hotel know we were close by in case we did not get back by until late in the evening. Leslie was very pleasant and much to our surprise we were able to check in and drop our bags off in our room! On our way out, Leslie saw us and asked if everything was okay with the room, which we thought was nice.

The room was nice and clean, the beds were very comfortable and the sheets were so awesome I looked at the tag and came home and tried to order a set online. There was a small fridge and coffee maker in the room. The hotel offers a free, buffet-style breakfast which had a lot of variety and was very good; there were some different selections each day. Wifi is free, which I believe all hotels should offer. Parking was $18 per day in the garage which was located directly under the hotel. You must scan your room key in order to access the garage, and you must also scan your room key to use the elevators. At first, it was a hassle to remember to keep the key card readily available for all of this scanning, but then I soon realized I liked the security it offered for parking and access to the rooms.

The a/c unit in the room was a little loud when it turned on in the middle of the night and usually woke me up, but it was efficient. However, the room itself was very quiet, and one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in (I was a flight attendant for many years, trust me on this). Be prepared, the room door is very heavy, but it definitely keeps the hall noise out of the room. One morning I did not realize housekeeping was in the room next to me cleaning until I walked out of my room. The housekeeper had the radio on loud enough that I could hear it in the hallway, but I never heard it in my room next door.

The hotel is an easy walking distance to the UT campus and the capitol. We did walk all the way down Congress Avenue to the "bat bridge" and back, of course stopping by 6th street on the way, and while it was a long walk we enjoyed the exercise and scenery. There are a couple of restaurants by the hotel, and a package store close by, too.

The pool on the 5th floor is very small, but I did not plan on swimming anyhow. What we did enjoy was sitting on the deck, watching the sun go down, and the lights on the capitol building turning on - it was very nice.

I liked this hotel and location - very clean and quiet, and the employees were all very pleasant and accommodating. I will stay here again, and even made future reservations upon checkout.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear TravelFan5355

Thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor, we appreciate all feedback. I'm glad we were able to accommodate your request for an early check-in. I am very proud of our Front Desk staff and their outstanding service. Thank you for taking the time to notice their efforts. Our hotel has many amenities which I'm glad you were able to enjoy, it is one thing that we believe sets us apart from other hotels in the area. I'm sorry our a/c unit woke you up at night; I will have our staff look at the room you stayed in to assess any issues with the unit. Our pool lounge is also something that we believe sets our hotel apart from others with its spectacular views of the sunset and "the lights on the capitol building "; it’s certainly worth checking out when staying at our hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us!