“Great hotel. Nice design. Excellent staff.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #6 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Houston, TX
“Great hotel. Nice design. Excellent staff.”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Top notch property. It is brand new looking and feeling. They kept the Austin feel to it by having graffiti, art, and the housekeeping crew wearing tie dyed aprons. The staff was excellent and very accomodating. I was upgraded to a suite which was an excellent room with a bar area, kitchenette, and living room. The location of the hotel is nearly perfect. Out of the center of downtown with all the crowds and traffic but close enough to ride a bike, cab, or even walk to several places of interest. I like that it is pet friendly. I could say all sorts of good things and I will stay here again. My only recommendations would be these: have some bikes to check out from the hotel. Austin is very bike friendly and some other hotels (in NYC, etc) have a program like this. I would even be willing to rent them. The other suggestion would be to sell beer or wine from the market in the lobby. I have been to other Hampton / Hilton / Homewood properties that do this. The night of the downpour at ACL, I stayed in and it would have been great to have been able to grab a couple of beers instead of having to walk around in the rain to find a nearby bar. Otherwise I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank halo36
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear halo36,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. Thank you for calling our hotel "Top notch property". Thank you for noticing the graffitti wall and tie dyed aprons on our housekeepers. Thank you for the comments about our excellent staff. I coun't agree more. I agree that we have a great centrally located hotel and near all Austin has to offer. Thank you for the comments about a potential bike rental area. I have looked into the bike rentals and we are creatively looking at where we could store the bikes with limited space. We will revisit to see if their is something we can do. We will also consider selling alcohol in our market. Thanks for the comments and recommendations. We look forward to your next stay in Austin.

Sincerly,

Sean Fitzgerald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Florida
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This Hampton Inn is an impressive hotel – a very modern, eclectic, music-themed hotel originally built as a condo before the hotel bought it. The art throughout the lobby, including the very cool “Killer Licks” guitar sculpture in the lobby gave us a very ‘Austin’ feel upon arriving.

Our room had soaring 12-foot ceilings (room 807), but there are a variety of room designs throughout the hotel due to its condo pedigree. The balconies are nice, but note that there is no patio furniture on any floor above the 2nd level. Note that the water pressure in the shower was extremely variable and would change 4-5 times within 10 minutes. Not sure if this was specific to our room or the whole building, but it might be something the hotel could look into.

On the fifth floor, there is a very nice outdoor pool that overlooks the Capitol building and the Austin skyline (best pool view for a hotel I’ve ever seen). There’s also a very modern workout room with TV's on all the exercise bikes and treadmills, plus a guest laundry with only one washer and one dryer – but also the wise addition of a folding table and a TV overhead so that you can pass the wait time watching a game or a show.

All of the staff at the front desk, in the breakfast area and in housekeeping were friendly and welcoming. We wanted to give special commendation to Lindsey who consistently went over and above throughout our stay – securing our room preference on the highest floor, providing detailed information on how best to navigate the city, giving us a list of best cab companies and drivers, and also providing details on how best to visit the nearby UT campus.

The breakfast every morning was varied and leisurely. The breakfast staff made us feel like they really appreciated our being there and wanted to ensure we had what we needed. Since this is a smaller boutique-type hotel, there were never more than a few tables occupied at breakfast during our stay. The waffle makers designed in the shape of Texas were a very nice touch. :-)

This is definitely a hotel we’d return to again on any future Austin visits.

Room Tip: 5th floor is perfect if you're interested in using the pool or the workout room. 8th floor is t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TripTiger
Dear Trip Tiger,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. We appreciate the 5 circle rating! I was proud to read your remarks and couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed email elaborating on our unique "boutique style" hotel. We look forward to your next visit to Austin!
Galway
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Having finally reached Austin 24hrs late and somewhat jet lagged the Hampton Inn was a welcome experience. Right from the start we were happy with our decision to stay here. Everything from the friendly staff, great decor (I would love to get my hands on some of the artwork!) and extremely comfortable bedroom made our stay one which we look forward to repeating when we return to Austin.

With only a 10-15 minute leisurely walk from the wonderful Red River District and 6th St, we spent our 6 days in music and food heaven.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear PinkMoonGalway,

Thank you for the comments on tripadivsor. While I appreciate being called a "city gem" I was disapointed to see such rave reviews and receive 4 circles. I agree with you, we have some phenonmenal artwork in the hotel and truly give off the Austin vibe for a hotel. We look forward to your next visit to Austin!

Sincerly,

Austin, United States
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We had an AWESOME stay at the Hampton Inn. We held a business breakfast meeting. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating! Everyone was super helpful. The event went off without a hitch. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Peter N
Dear Peter N.

Thank you for the kind words on Tripadvisor, I was glad to see that you had an Awesome stay with us! I was delighted to see that everyone you encountered was accomodating. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Dallas, United States
Reviewed 5 October 2013

What a wonderful weekend my wife and I had in Austin. Our stay at the Lavaca Hampton exceeded all expectations. From the wonderful hotel staff to our spacious accommodations, everything was perfect for our weekend get-a-way.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Denis B.

Thank you for the review on tripadvisor. I was glad to see that you and your wife enjoyed your time with us in Austin. I was thrilled to see that we exceeeded your expectations. I appreciate the kind words about our staff and that you enjoyed our spacious accomodations. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This hotel was perfectly located near the UT campus and the Capitol. It was easy to find and easy to get in and out of. I found the staff to be very helpful and the hotel was very clean. I would recommend staying here

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Jo102597,

Thank you for the kind words on tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback. I agree that our hotel is "perfectly located" near the UT Campus, Capitol, and all UT has to offer. Thank you for noticing that our staff was helpful and that our housekeeping department does a good job. Thank you! We look forward to your next stay with us!

Dallas, United States
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Great staff, easy check in and out, good breakfast with amazing bacon, room was super clean and fresh, great technology, parking was easy, quick walk to UT campus, quiet room and A/C worked great which is always very important to me

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Dear Ashley M.

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I appreciate your comments "awesome hotel with great location". I couldn't agree with you more. We are centrally located near all austin has to offer. I appreciate that you felt our hotel was clean and fresh. We love having you here and look forward to your next stay with us.