“Nice, did not meet expectation based on earlier reviews”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #5 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Checked in on Christmas and it was like a ghost town. Understand, many do not travel on Christmas Day. As a Diamond Hilton member and occupancy being very low, we received rooms on the 2nd floor with views of parking garages. Room was clean and nicely appointed, with the exception of the previous occupants trash left unnoticed in the trashcan by the desk. But I would rather deal with that than other things. Breakfast was not exceptional, but typical Hampton Inn fare. Perhaps for UT games they do something special or big? All of the staff were very friendly. We would stay here again, but would probably opt for another Hilton property a bit closer into the downtown area and SoCo.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor (fifth or higher)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Kimshe2,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was dispaointed that we did not meet your expectations according to previous reviews. I was disapointed that we did not get you a room with the view you desired and as Hilton Honors Members we should have made this happen. I was greatly concerned that our housekeeping missed the mark with the challenges you saw in your room. We will address with the entire staff and make sure we do better. I do appreciate you taking the time to mention that our staff was "very friendly". We look forward you your next visit with us.

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Completely overhauled, this hotel is an absolute gem. Family of 6 shared two adjoining double rooms, one with balcony. Rooms are very clean and completely updated, good shower pressure (important to me) and more than several food options within walking distance. We will be walking to the Capitol tomorrow for a tour. The front desk area is small but don't be dissuaded upon entering. The pool area looks very nice, and overlooks the Capitol dome, but we did not swim as it is December. There is underground parking for $19 per day, and you will need to use it unless you want to wake up 7am to feed the meter. Breakfast is included but we haven't eaten it yet.did pass by the area, however, and it looks like a well-oiled machine so I expect a nice meal when we go tomorrow. Overall, a fantastic deal!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Europeanone

Dear Europeanone,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you were 'very impressed". I appreciate you taking the time to notice how clean our rooms were and how great the water pressure was in your room. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here for a Austin getaway. The location was really close to the Capital and not far from downtown. Parking in the building was super convenient. The staff greeted us with smiles and accommodated our requests cheerfully. Beds were comfortable, room was clean and the breakfast was also good.

1  Thank lvvacations

Dear Ivvacations,

Thank you for the feedback on tripadvisor. We appreciate it. Thank you for the kind words in regards to our "nice hotel and kind staff". I agree, I feel we have the best staff and best rooms in Austin! Thank you for the kind words and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Our immediate family came together from CA, KY, and IL to spend Christmas week and experience Austin. We had 2 2 Queen bed rooms on the 8th floor. The hotel was very comfortable and more than met our needs. We found it convenient for taking a day trip to San Antonio as well as a day trip to Texas Hill Country. All of us enjoyed the variety provided at the breakfast each morning. My only complaint was that on Monday and Tuesday, I requested that the light bulb in the overhead light be replaced as it was burned out and when we left on Sunday it still had not been replaced. Maybe the next occupants of room 820 will have better luck. Also the fact that the coffee serving tanks were set on the floor before being placed on the serving counter bothered me. Saw more than one employee do this. The availability of in garage parking even though you have to pay is a big plus in my mind. Overall a very pleasant stay and would definitely stay here again should I return to Austin in the future.

Room Tip: 8th floor views are the best--also very quiet.

Dear Lori R,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was happy to see that you thought our rooms were comfortable and met your needs. I was disapointed to see that the lightbulb was not changed. I was able to research that request and found that in order for the light to work the switch by the door needs to be on. We did not explain tht to you and I apologize that we did not get that information to you. Our maintenance person should have let you a note, I will address and regreet that we didn't handle that request correctly. I will also address the issue with puting hte coffee pot on the floor. That is not how we have trained our staff, my apologies. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

The staff makes this place. A big shout out to them all-really: ALL, but especially Jennifer for being super-fun and her sweet self making her perfect for the position she holds there. Also to lovely Angela who suggested some weird and wacky places to go out to which led to my most memorable night out in Austin and who also left me a darling note and a little sweets care package on my door handle the day I checked out.

I love the rooms. They're huge and have this mid-century modern feel to them. I think its the headboards which are really interesting and the floor to ceiling windows make the room feel especially large and open. Very clean. Very comfortable.

The cons. No bar. No restaurant. I mean really... the bar is already there, you just need a license people. Its got some good restaurants in the immediate area and thank God a really well-curated liquor store across the street but it pretty much is only near the Capital, the University and nothing else. Bus service is close by but its slow. You absolutely need a car in Austin so factor parking expenses into your stay. There is no overnight parking in the area whatsoever.

The hotel could be so much more than it is and I say that because I really want it to be. Its got great bones. Lose that horrible graffiti mural, it matches absolutely NOTHING and is an eyesore. Please, please, please adjust your lighting in the lounge/bar area so the vibe doesn't feel like its the horrible eggs breakfast buffet morning, noon, and night. (Real eggs please. The hot fake ones were God awful. The waffles however, DE-licious). Get some flame-less candles for the place. It's easy. Id have guests over for champagne, we'd sit at that really gorgeous bar table you have, and the bad lighting just killed it. Even with me bringing my own candles, which I did.

Austin hotels are super-expensive. I got a great rate, about $135 a night on a third-party site and definitely feel I got my monies worth. Did I mention how awesome the staff is? :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a balcony or a window that opens. I had neither and I really missed my daily...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank carissa t
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Carissa t,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor! Thank you for recognizing our staff. I agree our staff takes great pride in their job and apperciates kind words, thank you. I will pass on the kind words to our staff! I appreciate your thurough feedback. I agree with your description of our rooms, I believe we have the best rooms in the city of Austin!

I was dispaointed to see that our lack of a bar had an impact on our tripadvisor sccore. We are exploring the idea of adding a bar in the future and hope someday that we can accomodate our guests' bar needs.

I appreciate your feedback on our decor. Our theme is to match the "keep it weird" slogan of Austin. All or our artwork surrounding the hotel is from local Austin Artists and or photographs of local Austin Icons. Our graffitti mural is a tribue to the local "keep it weird" graffitt wall and celebrates the "weirdness" of Austin. We generally are complimented on the "uniqueness" of our graffitti wall (Also, done by local artist).

I will look into flameless candles and work our lighting settings in our lobby.
Again, I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We decided to stay overnight after attending a Christmas party at the nearby excellent Carillon Restaurant. We got a reasonable rate for a king room on the 6th floor overlooking the pool with a good view of the capital. The bed was super comfy with a nice duvet. The only problem we had was with the breakfast. The scrambled eggs were runny and tasted like they had just mixed in picante sauce. The potatoes had a very strong and unusual lemon flavor. We did like the quirky modern decor and highly recommend staying here especially due to the location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Ktdoodle,

Thank you for your response on tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback and your title of "super nice hotel" We agree and feel our rooms and staff are the best in the city. I was dispaointed to see that our eggs were not to yuor expectations. We have recently rolled out a new egg product and I will make sure they are not runny in the future. Thank you for the comments. We look forward to your next visit wtih us.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Everything you would want in a hotel. If you are staying for a few days to a few weeks,this is the place to be. Very close to the state cap. and within walking distance to the bars and food on 6th street. We got the suit, very nice, very roomy, because we were 3 adults traveling texas. We hoped to get 3 beds, but they do not do roll-aways nor was there a couch. So we doubled up in one of the queen beds. Very restful. No problems. Wonderful service, food and the pool was great!!!

Room Tip: Nice balcony with the corner suit! I would say 5th to 8th floor is best.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Charles M,

Thank you for taking tmie to respond to tripadvisor. We appreciate your score and your title of "the best". We agree that we are centrally located near all Austin has to offer and offer a truly unique "Austin" experience. Our hotel features local artists around the hotel and larger rooms, 11 foot ceilings with 12 foot windows. I was sorry to hear that we didn't have a room with a pull out couch or a rollaway avialable. We look forward to your next visit with us!