“Our new favorite place in Austin”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #6 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was a wonderful place to stay in all aspects of our three days in Austin. The décor, lobby area, hallways and room gave a creative and distinct experience that we will remember. The atmosphere immediately slipped us into the holiday mood! Staff were great. Room had a great view, easy access to elevator then street and parking garage. Travelling around town was easy from this location. We have stayed in wide range of hotels in Austin, and this one tops our preference.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank 947Susan
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear 947Susan,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. We appreciate you taking the time to notice our "decor, lobby area, hallways and room" as we have a unique Austin theme. I was delighted to see that our staff was "great". I was happy to see that our hotel "topped" your list of hotels that you visited during your visit to Austin. We look forward to your next visit to Austin!

GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,384)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Our recent stay at this hotel was wonderful. Besides being affordable, it is a brand new hotel located near the capital building. Lindsey , the hotel manager couldn't be more helpful making us feel right at home answering all our questions and providing information. The breakfast was outstanding and it has a good location for restaurants. The bed was so comfortable it was like sleeping on a cloud. I am looking at purchasing the bedding for my own.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room .

Dear fourfabbs,

Thank you for the high marks on tripadvisor, we appreciate your feedback. Thank you for mentioning Lindsey as she does a great job for us! I was happy to see that the manager was able to assist with directions and information about the city. We have a fantastic bedding package and was happy to see that you enjoyed it. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

The location may be a drawback for some, but the hotel was great for us. The free wifi, included small breakfast and reasonably priced parking were all bonuses. The staff were universally friendly and helpful. The balconies we had were huge, but not in great supply from what we could see.

This is the cheaper cousin to the Hiltons we often use. It showed here and there, especially the linens and towels. The rooms were well appointed and the very high ceilings made them feel uncluttered.

Great resto, Texas chili parlor is less than three blocks away...highly recommended.

All in all, great value.

Room Tip: Second floor had the huge balconies
1  Thank Aroundth

Dear Chilly Albertans,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. Thank you for the kind words about our "universally friendly" staff. I was disapointed that our linens did not meet your standards as we have custom, microfiber sheets in our rooms. I will address our towels to see the challenges with our towels that you noticed. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your future visit with us!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Checked in on Christmas and it was like a ghost town. Understand, many do not travel on Christmas Day. As a Diamond Hilton member and occupancy being very low, we received rooms on the 2nd floor with views of parking garages. Room was clean and nicely appointed, with the exception of the previous occupants trash left unnoticed in the trashcan by the desk. But I would rather deal with that than other things. Breakfast was not exceptional, but typical Hampton Inn fare. Perhaps for UT games they do something special or big? All of the staff were very friendly. We would stay here again, but would probably opt for another Hilton property a bit closer into the downtown area and SoCo.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor (fifth or higher)

Dear Kimshe2,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was dispaointed that we did not meet your expectations according to previous reviews. I was disapointed that we did not get you a room with the view you desired and as Hilton Honors Members we should have made this happen. I was greatly concerned that our housekeeping missed the mark with the challenges you saw in your room. We will address with the entire staff and make sure we do better. I do appreciate you taking the time to mention that our staff was "very friendly". We look forward you your next visit with us.

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Completely overhauled, this hotel is an absolute gem. Family of 6 shared two adjoining double rooms, one with balcony. Rooms are very clean and completely updated, good shower pressure (important to me) and more than several food options within walking distance. We will be walking to the Capitol tomorrow for a tour. The front desk area is small but don't be dissuaded upon entering. The pool area looks very nice, and overlooks the Capitol dome, but we did not swim as it is December. There is underground parking for $19 per day, and you will need to use it unless you want to wake up 7am to feed the meter. Breakfast is included but we haven't eaten it yet.did pass by the area, however, and it looks like a well-oiled machine so I expect a nice meal when we go tomorrow. Overall, a fantastic deal!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Europeanone

Dear Europeanone,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you were 'very impressed". I appreciate you taking the time to notice how clean our rooms were and how great the water pressure was in your room. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here for a Austin getaway. The location was really close to the Capital and not far from downtown. Parking in the building was super convenient. The staff greeted us with smiles and accommodated our requests cheerfully. Beds were comfortable, room was clean and the breakfast was also good.

1  Thank lvvacations

Dear Ivvacations,

Thank you for the feedback on tripadvisor. We appreciate it. Thank you for the kind words in regards to our "nice hotel and kind staff". I agree, I feel we have the best staff and best rooms in Austin! Thank you for the kind words and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Our immediate family came together from CA, KY, and IL to spend Christmas week and experience Austin. We had 2 2 Queen bed rooms on the 8th floor. The hotel was very comfortable and more than met our needs. We found it convenient for taking a day trip to San Antonio as well as a day trip to Texas Hill Country. All of us enjoyed the variety provided at the breakfast each morning. My only complaint was that on Monday and Tuesday, I requested that the light bulb in the overhead light be replaced as it was burned out and when we left on Sunday it still had not been replaced. Maybe the next occupants of room 820 will have better luck. Also the fact that the coffee serving tanks were set on the floor before being placed on the serving counter bothered me. Saw more than one employee do this. The availability of in garage parking even though you have to pay is a big plus in my mind. Overall a very pleasant stay and would definitely stay here again should I return to Austin in the future.

Room Tip: 8th floor views are the best--also very quiet.

Dear Lori R,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was happy to see that you thought our rooms were comfortable and met your needs. I was disapointed to see that the lightbulb was not changed. I was able to research that request and found that in order for the light to work the switch by the door needs to be on. We did not explain tht to you and I apologize that we did not get that information to you. Our maintenance person should have let you a note, I will address and regreet that we didn't handle that request correctly. I will also address the issue with puting hte coffee pot on the floor. That is not how we have trained our staff, my apologies. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return visit.