Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #5 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Houston, United States
“Great location”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My family and I have stayed at this hotel twice, and we are happy with everything about it! The location is great -- walking distance to the Texas Capitol, The University of Texas campus, as well as several restaurants and museums. The friendly staff goes out of their way to be welcoming and helpful. We love the breakfast buffet, which is much more elaborate than most free breakfasts at similar hotels. The rooms are nice -- clean and spacious -- and the beds are very comfortable! And, if you happen to get one of the upper, corner rooms with a balcony, the views are spectacular!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Walton A,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you and your family have stayed with us twice and had a great experience both times. I was happy to see that you like our location and noticed our staff going out of their way to make you feel welcomed! Thank you for noticing our above standard breakfast and our rooms. I believe we have the best rooms in Austin and our 10 foot ceilings with 11 foot windows really is a point of difference in regards to our rooms. We look forward to your next stay with us!

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I don't normally stay at Hampton Inns, but I chose this hotel for it's location and price. I normally hate dealing with parking at hotels in urban centers, but parking was really easy here. And they had Diamond parking spots, which I've never seen before. These parking spots are a great benefit for HHonors elites!

The staff was very professional and courteous. There was an old smurf doll under the A/C unit in the room, but otherwise the room was spotless. If this isn't a new hotel, it's been renovated so well that I was fooled. And the beds seemed better than the usual Hampton Inn beds, which I find much too hard.

We were on the 5th floor with the pool deck and fitness center. The pool is small, but heated. There's a great view of the capital from the deck. It looks like the rooms on the 2nd floor have large patios with some furniture. Our room on the 5th floor had a balcony, but it wasn't big enough for chairs, it was standing room only.

The breakfast seemed to be upgraded from the typical Hampton Inn buffet-style breakfast. And the robust coffee was decent, not what I'm used to from a hotel.

From the hotel, you can easily walk to UT, the capital, and 6th St (but we drove to Rainey St.).

It was a great stay and I will definitely go back the next time I'm in Austin.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Michael R,

Thank you for your kind words on tripadvisor. I was happy to read your detailed description of our hotel. I was happy to read that our staff was "professional and courteous". I was also happy to see that you enjoyed our pool area and noticed our upgraded Hampton Inn Breakfast! We will work on our housekeeping, but appreciate your feedback to help us get better. We look forward to your next visit to Austin!

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I just stayed last weekend for a friend's wedding and it was a blast. The breakfast bar has a waffle iron that makes waffles in the shape of Texas, so that about sells it for me. Cool lobby and staff, and even got an upgraded room out of it! Great location, too. Recommended.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Michael C,

i as happy to read your review on tripadvisor and see that you had a blast at your friends wedding. Thank yoiu for noticing our breakfast as we go above and beyond our standards. I appreciate you mentioning our cool lobby and staff and look forward to your return visit!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I haven't stayed at a Hampton for a number of years, and I am glad this one was booked for me. Nice central location in the city and Beautiful Room (I had a suite) that is one of the largest rooms I have ever stayed in. Great amenities and great value. I will be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Craig S,

Thank you for your kind words on tripadvisor. I was happy to see that you enjoyed your return visit to Hampton and were pleased with your stay. I agree that our rooms are large and have great value! We look forward to your return visit to us!

Sincerly,

Sulphur Springs, Texas
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Just wanted to say I stayed at this hotel a few months ago with some friends of mine & again around new years. Both times I was blown away with the amount of detailed customer service I received. The rooms have been so clean & the staff very hospitable. My hat goes off to the front desk and housekeeping staff. It's obvious the management there takes tremendous pride in what they do. I'd like to recognize Jennifer, Jonathan & Darby they do such a wonderful job.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Akbeezy,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you had an "excellent stay". I was pleased to see that this was your second stay with us and that both times you were blown away! We appreciate the kind words about our front desk staff and housekeeping staff. Thank you for notcing what a great job Jennifer, Jonathan, and Darby did during your stay. We look foward to your next stay with us!

Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 18 January 2014

All the reviews that I had read proved true. The room was great. But the front desk staff were even better. Because an hour after checking out, we realized that we had left our I-pad in the room. We returned and with the front desk staff's help, we managed to get it back. I'd like to single out Belinda Sanchez and Darby Barksdale and thank them for all their help. Yes, we will stay here again on our next visit !

Room Tip: The hotel is within walking distance of the Frank Erwin Center.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Robert R,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor! I was delighted to see that we were able to assist with getting your Ipad back to you. I appreciate your kind words about Belinda and Darby. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Plano, Texas
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I travel to Austin several times a year and this was by far the best experience! From the great location to the "Keep Austin Weird" mentality this hotel has it all. The room was very spacious and had a great view, also there was a patio which is a big plus in my opinion. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. This is my hotel of choice by far in Austin!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ryan M,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor, I was happy to see that you had a "great time" at our hotel. Thank you for noticing our "keep Austin Weird" mantality and theme of our hotel. I was happy to see that you felt our staff was friendly and accomodating and look forward to your next visit to Austin.