“Hectic Weekend, Excellent Service.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #5 of 201 Hotels in Austin
San Angelo, Texas
“Hectic Weekend, Excellent Service.”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This previous weekend my family had a large wedding party staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Austin University/Capitol and the service was terrific. We showed up much earlier than check-in and every consideration was made to get us into our room as quickly as possible so we could change and get ready to be at the church on time. Our family is extensive and can be a handful when in large groups and running around like crazy, but the staff was helpful and courteous every step of the way. Great hotel, clean, hip, and with a terrific location and view of the capitol. We visit Austin often and will definitely be back again soon.

Room Tip: Second or sixth floor balconies are worth the extra cash!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Sean M,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. We appreciate your rating on tripadvisor and I was happy to see that your hectic weekend had great service from our hotel. We hope you come back to visit to enjoy Austin and have a more relaxing weekend!

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
atlanta, ga
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Was here for the Austin marathon, just a few blocks away from the start line. Can't beat that. They had someone checking guest names near race time to keep all the riff raff from flooding the place. They also had some water for people heading out. Nice attention to details.

Staff was very nice. My water was complimentary as an Honors Gold member but I couldn't tell about the rest of the suite shop. I just kind of avoided it so as not to get in trouble taking stuff without paying. No cashier so I guess you pay at the front desk.

Decor is nice as well. Somewhat of a mix between modern, weird and southwestern. Everything was clean and well-kept.

As far as I could tell, the place isn't super huge and there's only one bank of elevators. I wouldn't say they were the fastest in the world. But I think it's because the floors are very tall. I don't know about the other floors but my room was pretty large and very tall. Well taller than the average hotel room. Seriously, 12 foot ceilings maybe? Also the room size itself is relatively large with close to a few feet between the bed and the wall in a double room.

TV was good without defaulting to the usual hotel channel. I was concerned about the fridge as it did not seem cold at all when I got there but eventually kept things reasonably cool. There was a ceiling fan and the rest of the fixtures, lamps, furniture were all nice. One thing missing was a usb charger on the lamp which seems pretty common these days. With only 1 wall socket connector and 2 devices, I had to charge them separately. Terrible life, huh?

Bathroom was nice with the appropriate amenities. The fan was slightly noisy mostly with a low pitched hum. The shower curtain is the typical polyester/rayon (no idea of the material) which tend to have a slight musty odor. I guess the vinyls are out these days maybe because they mold too much. Toilet also had a very slight urine smell. Other than that the water pressure was excellent with a nice large shower water spray area.

Noise in the hallways was a bit on the louder side, not sure if it's because of space under the doors or what. Thankfully I didn't have excessively loud neighbors. I was also in a room with an adjoining door so there was a little noise there. The curtains were a little hard to close (didn't want to break anything) since there was not a wand to move them. The other slight design issue was that the balcony in the next room was easily visible from my room so I had to either have the curtains closed a little or walk around more clothed than I wanted to haha.

All in all, what can you say. This place is well run, friendly staff, newish hotel that is maintained well. There are a few minor issues but you can't go wrong here. I looked at a lot of other hotels and this place was consistent in its good reviews. I would agree. You can't go wrong with this place. I did stay at a Hampton further south a couple of years ago and they had a happy hour with free beer on weekdays. Not sure if this place does the same but that would be the icing on the cake.

FYI, friendly bartender at the Mexican place across the street. Also the Japanese place nearby is excellent as well.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Tantheman,

Thank you for your detailed tripadvisor review. The marathon was a busy time for the hotel and I was happy to see that you noticed the little extras that we provided. Yes, all our market purchases go through the front desk, and our staff would be more then happy to inform your Hilton rewards amenities. I'm sorry we did not inform you at check in. We will work harder to improve our communication. I will let your detailed review speak for itself. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

When I mentioned that I had a better price through an app the phone rep granted me that price. When we got there Darby was the one to great us and went above and beyond to show us the area. She took the time to text her friends that worked in the area to great us when we went out to eat and told us the areas to go out at night. I would visit the hotel again just to have her service.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Cway0607
Dear Cway0607,

Thank you for recognizing our "amazing front desk service" on tripadvisor. Thank you for your kind words, I was delighted to see that Darby could assist you in making your stay a great one! We look forward to you next visit with us!

Canton, Texas
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My family has stayed at this property twice since the beginning of 2014. We absolutely LOVE the hotel as well as the service we obtained while staying here. The staff and management are top notch! Everything was so clean and the breakfast was delicious! This is our #1 choice of hotels in Austin, Texas!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear MK082956,

Thank you for the kind remarks on tripadvisor. We appreciate your description of our "excellent hotel", I am delighted that you "love" our hotel. Thank you for acknowledging our staff, they take great pride in their work! We look forward to your next stay with us!

Colleyville, Texas
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We booked this hotel to watch our daughter run in the Austin Marathon and we so pleased by its location, rooms and staff. The rooftop pool was a great place to catch some sunshine on a pleasantly warm winter's day. We've stayed at other hotels in the Austin area in the past but will definitely come back here for another visit. Thanks to the staff for arranging a late check out for us.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Spc 1977,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. We were happy to have you stay with us and congratulations to your daughter for running the marathon. I hope she took advantage of our breakfast opening early for the runners and waters and towels for after the race. We loved having you stay with us and hopefully you can stay with us next year!

Bricktown, NJ, United States
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Very convenient to Texas State Offices and downtown Austin. Clean room, quiet, very comfortable bed. Appreciated breakfast with a variety of choices. Helpful, efficient staff; assisted with boarding pass for flight home.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Joseph W
Dear Joseph W,

Thank yo for the feedback on tripadvisor. Thank you for commenting on our convenient location near all Austin has to offer! I was glad to read that our staff was able to help you with your boarding pass and that we exceeded your expectations iwth our staff and breakfast area. We look forward to your next visit!

Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stay here quite a bit. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. The rooms are clean and the water pressure is good.

The artwork is trendy and fun and the location is near some reasonable bars and a Liquor store!

However, Turkey sausage is positively communist. :)

Room Tip: Pick a corner
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hetkey
Dear Hetkey,

Thank you for the kind words on tripadvisor in reagards to our staff. I agree that our staff is the best and that our rooms are clean! We look forward to your next visit with us!