“Restful, relaxing, conveniently located”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #4 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Very nice surprise on a business trip to Austin last October. Arrived early to settle in and chill out before a writer's conference, and found just what I was looking for: a quiet and restful place near downtown Austin. Service was first rate, room spacious and very comfortable, with a spacious balcony I enjoyed relaxing on with a cigar (non-smoking room).
Very quiet at night- slept like a baby.
When not sleeping, the legendary Austin music strip is just 11 blocks away, walk or taxi.
There's no restaurant on premises, but that's fine, since there is an excellent Tex-Mex joint directly across the street and wonderful, funky little coffee place a block away that serves breakfast and lunch. There's also a Japanese restaurant across the street open for dinner.
The room wasn't exactly a bargain at $240 a night w/tax (I travelled solo), but you get what you pay for, and I'd recommend this hotel for either business or pleasure when visiting Austin. What a great city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Billdog1,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback. I was delighted to see that we scored 5 circles. I will let your review speak for itself. We look forward to your next visit to Austin!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Rooms are very comfortable and well suited for the business traveler with good work space and plenty of outlets. Internet a bit slow but adequate. Lack of restaurant is bothersome to me but there are lots of fine eateries within walking distance providing weather is not an issue. Parking is below ground and there are spaces for Diamond members. Prime location in the heart of downtown.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Steven W,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was happy to read that you felt our rooms were comfortable and well suited for the business traveler. We have just upgraded our internet bandwidth to 50 mbgs. This should eliminate any internet issues. We look forward to your next visit to Austin!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

A friendly greeting every time you walk in the front door, and if you've had a conversation, they remember you. The rooms were nice, clean and quiet. The breakfasts were plentiful with many options. Walking distance to my meeting place, so that was nice.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Mrmorte,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. We appreciate your kind words and 5 circle score. I agree, we have a "friendly and quiet" hotel. Our staff takes great pride in their work and we appreciate the kind words about our friendliness. While we are central to Austin, we are a bit off the beaten path,near the university and capitol. We believe we have the best of both worlds, in that, you can get to the entertainment district easily, without being a part of it. I also agree that our breakfast is plentiful with many options. Thanks again, and we look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

The hotel is in good condition and is in a very good location. I was disappointed on my day of check in the front desk staff was a bit rude. Otherwise everyone else was friendly. Not much of a difference between this Hampton Inn and others. Not many food choices in this area within walking distance. I was also disappointed that there was still hair in the bathtub from the previous stay.

Overall its not a bad place to stay it does get loud in the morning as you are right next to the capital.

3  Thank Anthony P
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Anthony P,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was disappointed that your check in process was not friendly. We will address that behavior immediately. I was shocked that you felt our Hampton Inn & Suites was like other Hampton Inns. Our Ownership put a lot of custom, unique details. We will address the housekeeping issues you mentioned. I was disappointed to see the challenges you had during your stay. We will work harder and address the issues from your stay. I hope we get a chance to show you our improvement.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I was greeted with friendly smiles and engaging conversation. The room was clean and relaxing with a quirky view of a clothes line with tie-died clothing, in true Austin "weird" fashion. Everyone said hi or at least acknowledged me, which I love. The AGM, Darby was especially hospitable, Welcoming me to town since I had just secured a job in town in the same industry. I would love to stay with this hotel again. A big thank you to the staff!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Asher P,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you were greeted with friendly and engaging conversation. I was happy to see that we made you feel comfortable in your new City.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with any questions we had. The room was large, clean, and comfortable. Housekeeping seemed to forget something everyday but the front desk was able to help with our issues. The location was great for campus and capitol, but a little far for the night life on 6th St. We did walk every night and at least felt safe. Only made it to breakfast one morning but it was was well stocked and seemed fresh. Would return for sure.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear JENNMCC,
Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you felt our staff was helpful and friendly. Thank you for the kind words in regards to the large, clean and comfortable rooms. We look forward to your next visit to Austin!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I was staying in Austin on university-related business. The Inn is quite close to the campus.

It's like every other Hampton I've visited. The room is tacky faux-stylish, with plastic-wrapped plastic cups, horrible morning coffee, and an AC system that is loud and won't shut off.

Better yet was getting a room with a garbage bin right below it that is emptied at 3 am by a truck that had to reverse to get out of the alley, setting off loud beeping when it did. Nice touch.

Oh, and did I mention the $250 a night charge when taxes are included? I should have.

Probably you can do better in Austin.

5  Thank Mark D
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Mark D.

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was happy the you felt our location was adequate for university-related business. We believe we have a great locatio for all Austin has to offer. I wsa disapointed to read that you felt our room was "tacky faux-stylish". We are proud of our Austin themed hotel with a funky feel to it. We believe Austin is a unique funky, fun city and our design / decor, we feel mirrors the city's vibe. I appreciate your feedback and letting us know that our decor is not up to your standards and I apologize. Unfortunately, we must follow the Hampton Brand Standards and carry the wrapped plastic cups. As we are not a full serve hotel, we do not have a kitchen and or labor to wash ceramic / glassware. Again, I am sorry that we did not meet your standards.

I'm sorry the AC unit and trash collection impacted your stay with us and we will check to see what was wrong with the AC unit. We are working with the city about Trash pick up times. Clearly you did not have a good experience with us and I regret that. I have emailed you my information and detailed out what we would like to do for your less then great stay with us. I truly am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations.

Apologies,