“Simply Amazing Customer Service!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #5 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“Simply Amazing Customer Service!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is one of the best hotel stays that I have ever had! I slept like a rock every night - the sheets are so soft that I just might have to buy them. The amenities including the free hot breakfast and fitness center are excellent. But the customer service is just stellar! I am in a wheelchair, and from the moment I first arrived, the staff (particularly Lindsay) took great care of me! I called her as I was driving on my way over to the hotel, and she actually met me in the parking garage to help me get my heavy suitcase out of the car. She also helped me get to my room, and then helped me figure out how to get to my conference. Kudos to all of the staff - everyone that I talked with was great!

Also - I suspect that they must have had feedback from people who use wheelchairs when they designed their accessible rooms... I noticed a lot of little touches that aren't in other hotel rooms in my experience and other people wouldn't notice (like a little portable adjustable mirror on the bathroom vanity). I did note that the door to the room was very heavy, but other than that the room was perfect for my needs. And I love that they actually have a cable machine in their gym which anyone (including a person in a wheelchair) can use!

These little touches and the excellent customer service are what makes the difference between an OK stay and an AMAZING stay in my book! A big thank you to all of the staff!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear mcolvard,

Thank you for the responses on tripadvisor. We appreciate your detailed account of your stay with us. We appreciate your comments about our sheets as we have microfiber sheets along with an upgraded bedding package that we are proud of. I was delighted to see that you mentioned our staff and singled out Lindsey! She is an amazing person and does a great job for us. We look forward to your next stay with us!

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
new york
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The Hampton Inn Austin @ University/Capitol is not your usual Hampton Inn by any means. It is beautifully decorated, the rooms are huge ( had a king suite ), centrally located ( better to drive downtown if it is hot and humid ). However, as other reviewers have said, the staff is amazing!!! Immediately greeting when you walk through the door, beyond helpful regardless of questions, and they remember you day after day!! There are more expensive hotels in Austin, more full service hotels, and more historic hotels. This one has them all beat in so many ways!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear IG62846,

Thank you for your response on tripadvisor. We appreciate the comments about "not the usual Hampton Inn". We are very proud of our Austin themed hotel and our staff takes great pride in making this place go. We believe our rooms and lobby area are the best in the city and would love to have you stay with us again! I appreciate the kudos to our staff and will pass on the kind words.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I are Austin residents and spent one night here for a kid-free downtown getaway (and the Mai Fest German Beer Festival at nearby Scholz Garden/Saengerrunde Hall).

Wow. This is easily the best Hampton Inn I have ever visited, and I would even prefer it over some of the more higher-end downtown Austin hotels, like the W. As many reviewers have mentioned, the staff is simply outstanding. Friendly and enthusiastic without being intrusive or over-the-top; just genuinely nice people.

Our room on the second-floor had a huge balcony that was a great place to relax after the beer fest, though you will be a little close to the street and you will hear traffic noise. It's a great trade-off, though, unless you require absolute silence to sleep (though there is a white-noise setting on the clock radio!). Oh, and the staff is fantastic; amazingly friendly.

The art in the lobby and scattered throughout is really neat and shows great attention to detail and some cool local flavor-- huge points for the Kerbey Lane mural that doesn't even exist anymore. Also, the staff is tremendously friendly.

The rooms are a perfect size, modern, and clean. The bathrooms are spotless and look almost untouched. All the stuff you need-- wifi, minifridge, plenty of outlets-- it's all there. Were didn't use the pool, but we did check it out and, though the pool itself is smallish, the pool area is lovely, with a great view of the Capitol. And, the staff is amazing.

My only tiny gripe was that the A/C and minifridge cycling on and off at night were a little noisier than I would prefer, but that will not stop me from coming back to this hotel for our next downtown staycation. Heck, I'd come just to spend more time with the outstandingly friendly staff.

As an Austinite, I can honestly say I'm proud to have this hotel represent my town to visitors.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room with a giant balcony!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear ChisosClimber,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to tripadvisor. I was delighted to read your review and appreciate all your high marks. I was specifically happy to read that "as an Austinite, I can honestly say i'm proud to have htis hotel represent my town to visitors". Our owner is one of the only hotel operators who lives in Austin and takes great pride in this property. Your review is spot on for his vision. Thank you for taking the time to notice the deatils of the hotel that make this hotel very "Austin". We look forward to your next stay with us!

Austin tx
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Thank you to Jen, Shay and Millanie. You have the best people working for you. They made our stay the best ever. Please try to keep these individuals as they are the ones who really make this Hotel work. Dave & Lori

• Stayed June 2014
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Fishon2014,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I appreciate your remarks in regards to "bests customer service" our team takes great pride in our hotel and delivering great customer service. Thank you for mentioning Shay, Jen & Meloudi! I agree that our staff makes the hotel go. We look forward to your next stay with us.

sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights as part of a road trip through Central Texas.
Staff were fantastic, friendly, enthusiastic and helpful demonstrating true Texas hospitality.
Our room on 2nd floor was huge with a massive balcony. Amenities were ok. Comfortable beds and good bathroom.
Free breakfast was a real bonus and subtle changes everyday gave you a degree of choice.
24 hour free coffee and tea was ok except that the water was rarely hot but a couple of seconds in microwave sorted that.
Only real downside was that there is not a bar on site although there are others within walking distance and an excellent liquor store almost opposite.
Location is great for University and commercial use but some distance from major entertainment- too far to walk.

Room Tip: Get a balcony.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear roytrowbridge,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you felt our staff was fantastic, friendly, and enthusiastic in showing true texas hospitality. I was happy to see that you enjoyed our breakfast and coffee service. I will work to improve our hot water situation for the tea and hot chocolate. We thank you for staying with us and look forward to your next stay!

Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I just returned from a fun filled guys weekend in Austin. Austin is a fun, hot, food filled adventure. The Hampton was a great hotel. I stayed in room 711. The hotel is clean, comfortable, and a great location. The thing that puts this hotel over the top though is the staff. I feel after three days that I have friends at this hotel.

Darby is one of the managers and she is Awesome!

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel for any business or fun in Austin.

These guys helped us with things to , places to eat and even drove us downtown one night when cabs were scarce. They went above and beyond and for that when I return to Austin I will stay at this Hampton again.

Thanks guys it was a blast.

Micah

Room Tip: If you need a suite i stayed in Room 711.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChiefDawg
Dier ChiefDawg,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was happy we exceeded your expectations for your guys weekend. I was happy to see that you have made friends with our staff and that we could accommodate your requests. I agree Darby does a fantastic job and I am happy that you mentioned her in your comments. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Düsseldorf
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Chose this Hampton Inn & Suites because of its location and the good reviews. Hotel is located just three blocks from the Texas State Capitol at the intersection of Lavaca and 17th. Directly in front of the hotel is a bus stop where buses from Downtown going to the University area would stop. There is presently a construction on the road right in front of the hotel.

Arrived around noon at the property by car and received a very cheerful and warm welcome at the front desk with an excuse that our room wasn´t ready (what we didn´t expect at this time of day). Parked the car in the hotels garage (fee is 19 Dollars overnight) and went to explore the city.

When returned we were impressed by the modern design of the hall / breakfast area. We really liked it a lot. It looked very good. Got a balcony room on the second floor which was very nice. It had high ceilings, very clean and a good size. The balcony itself was really spacious with two chairs and was facing Lavaca Street. It turned out later in the night, that this street is the only downside of this hotel as it was very loud throughout the night as the local busses, lorries and other traffic passes by right below the room and the noise did really bother us and prevented a good nights sleep as we had the feeling that traffic was running right through the room...

The hotel has an outdoor pool on the fifth floor (which is the rooftop on that part of the building) very nicely decorated with long chairs and a huge and comfy sofa overlooking the city and the State capitol. We really liked that a lot.

Breakfast has hot options and is up to the very good Hampton standards. We really liked the Texas-shaped waffles.The attendant really put up efforts to refill empty stuff.

This rather expensive Hampton was really good and would have received 5 points if there wouldn´t have been the issue with the traffic noise.

Room Tip: If you´d be easily disturbed by noises ask for a room away from Lavaca Street.
2 Thank Travelnplane
Dear urlaubsbaerchen,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed account of you stay with us on tirpadviosr. We appreciate the comment. I was happy to see that our staff received you with a cheerful welcome. I understand that sometimes we get a bit of street noise on Lavaca, but I am thankful that we are not located in the heart of the entertainment district, where the party goes all night. We would be more then happy to have a room for you away from Lavaca on your next visit. We look forward to your next visit with us!