“Great way to start out holiday”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #5 of 200 Hotels in Austin
“Great way to start out holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Austin was our first stop for a month long holiday in the USA. It was a a relief to by welcomed by such friendly & helpful staff. We were up graded to a suite, which was spacious and clean. The bed, oh so comfortable after traveling 24 hr from Australia. Thanks so much to Shaye & Jennifer, & Michael for making our stay memorable. We hope you three are there when we return. There's also a great Mexican restaurant across the road & a liquor store a block away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Angela F,

Thank you for your response on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read your revew and appreicate you taking the time to acknowledge our staff; Shay, Jennifer & Meloudi. I was equally delighted to see that we were able to make your stay memoroable and look forward to your next stay with us!

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Muncie, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Pros:
Great front staff during my seven day stay
Great rotating hot breakfast
Near bus stops
Spacious rooms
Nice fifth floor patio

Cons:
A little bit of a hike to food/downtown, not too bad
Rooms were clean, but one time the bed was only halfway made and dust on the dresser

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank indyemmett
Dear Indyemmett,

Thank you for your review on tirpadvisor. I appreciate all the "pros" that you listed. We will address the con issues that we can control. I was happy to see that you gave us a 4 circle rating overall and will work to fix the challenges you had during your stay.

Hartford City, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was delighted to find out that this was ranked #1 in Austin for all hotels... I usually like most Hampton Inns anyway...

From the beautiful lobby with nice local decor and the free daily breakfast, to the super convenient exercise and pool areas(I do wish the pool was open til after 10pm...), this hotel was amazing. Elevators were fast enough not to be a bother too.

The hotel is located right between the downtown and the campus. So you could easily walk anywhere you wanted, or just walk a block and hop on one of the many buses in the area. The staff can direct you to the closet bus stop if you are not sure. Quite a few restaurants/stores within a block or two as well.

The room was large and the beds were comfortable. I love having a fridge in my room too. Free internet is free internet quality...but I didn't use it that much anyway.

The best part about this hotel is the staff. Everyone is very friendly, nice, and helpful. They would almost always greet with a smile when we got back at the end of the day and asked us if we needed anything. One evening we were hanging out in the lobby and on of the employees were joking around with us...

One complaint...
We had missed our connecting flight out of Houston and had to rent a car and drive into Austin, pick up our luggage and then drive to the hotel, when we got there, it was after midnight, the next morning we returned the rental car and walked the rest of the trip. But, I still got charged for 3 days of parking...when I questioned it, they removed one day which is nice, but we were only parked there for 8 or 9 hours and still had to pay for 2 full days (which was actually kind of pricy)...

Overall, I would like to stay there again, but I would not pay to park!!!

Dear Vacation_Comma...

Thank you for your time in responding to tripadvisor. I appreciate your detailed account of your stay and making it available for others to read. Thank you for acknowledging the staff. I will let your review speak for itself. We will correct the additional parking charge. I will send you an email to get your information.

Ponce, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The individuals who worked at the reception desk were extremely helpful, courteous, and very professional. They went out of their way to help us as we were visiting Austin for the first time. I thought the price of the hotel was high when the room was booked for 5 days, but the quality of the hotel and staff made me feel that I was getting a little bit more for my money.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Ruben C,

Thank you for your response on tripadvisor. I was happy to see that the individual at the front desk was helpful, courteous and very professional. I was thrilled to see that our staff made you feel like you were getting more for your money!
We look forward to your next stay with us.

ENTERPRISE, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

The individuals who worked at the reception desk were extremely helpful, courteous, and very professional. They went out of their way to help us as we were visiting Austin for the first time. They would be in their suit coats and would be cleaning up the tables in the breakfast area. Very commendable. I thought the price of the hotel was high when the room was booked for 5 days, but the quality of the hotel and staff made me feel that I was getting a little bit more for my money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Jacque H,

Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor, we appreciate your feedback. Thank you for noticing our staff. We believe it is a team effort and everyone helps with our breakfast service! I was happy to read that you felt our staff made you feel that you were getting more for your money. We take great pride in our hotel and look forward to your next visit with us.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is one of the best hotel stays that I have ever had! I slept like a rock every night - the sheets are so soft that I just might have to buy them. The amenities including the free hot breakfast and fitness center are excellent. But the customer service is just stellar! I am in a wheelchair, and from the moment I first arrived, the staff (particularly Lindsay) took great care of me! I called her as I was driving on my way over to the hotel, and she actually met me in the parking garage to help me get my heavy suitcase out of the car. She also helped me get to my room, and then helped me figure out how to get to my conference. Kudos to all of the staff - everyone that I talked with was great!

Also - I suspect that they must have had feedback from people who use wheelchairs when they designed their accessible rooms... I noticed a lot of little touches that aren't in other hotel rooms in my experience and other people wouldn't notice (like a little portable adjustable mirror on the bathroom vanity). I did note that the door to the room was very heavy, but other than that the room was perfect for my needs. And I love that they actually have a cable machine in their gym which anyone (including a person in a wheelchair) can use!

These little touches and the excellent customer service are what makes the difference between an OK stay and an AMAZING stay in my book! A big thank you to all of the staff!

Dear mcolvard,

Thank you for the responses on tripadvisor. We appreciate your detailed account of your stay with us. We appreciate your comments about our sheets as we have microfiber sheets along with an upgraded bedding package that we are proud of. I was delighted to see that you mentioned our staff and singled out Lindsey! She is an amazing person and does a great job for us. We look forward to your next stay with us!

new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The Hampton Inn Austin @ University/Capitol is not your usual Hampton Inn by any means. It is beautifully decorated, the rooms are huge ( had a king suite ), centrally located ( better to drive downtown if it is hot and humid ). However, as other reviewers have said, the staff is amazing!!! Immediately greeting when you walk through the door, beyond helpful regardless of questions, and they remember you day after day!! There are more expensive hotels in Austin, more full service hotels, and more historic hotels. This one has them all beat in so many ways!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear IG62846,

Thank you for your response on tripadvisor. We appreciate the comments about "not the usual Hampton Inn". We are very proud of our Austin themed hotel and our staff takes great pride in making this place go. We believe our rooms and lobby area are the best in the city and would love to have you stay with us again! I appreciate the kudos to our staff and will pass on the kind words.