“5 STAR HOTEL! Youth hostel breakfast :(”

Hyatt Place Austin Downtown
Ranked #15 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“5 STAR HOTEL! Youth hostel breakfast :(”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Everything was great during our weekend stay in Austin. This hotel really met my expectations in many ways. Specially the room: super clean, super big and cozy; and the bed was absolutely great. Sometimes I ask myself whether is that complicated to do rooms like that! (specially after trying a couple of fancy but uncomfortable hotels). And the bathroom was also great: big and clean. And the location of the hotel couldn't be better. Just in the heart of Austin!
For sure, I thought from the first time to give this hotel 5 points in my reviews... but not anymore after the breakfast. I was chaotic and noisy; and looking at the food-bar I thought that a hurricane just passed through. Not the kind of thing I expect for a weekend gateway to Austin with my girlfriend. Actually on Sunday, I preferred to abandon the breakfast room that was full of noisy "6th street" teens. Seriously, I was stressed!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Place Austin Downtown, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Raul B:

I would like to say thank you for taking the time out to tell us about your recent visit to our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the guest rooms and the location of the hotel. Hopefully you were able to find some of the wonderful things that our city has to offer.

We are sorry to hear that we lost a star with you due to your breakfast experience. We definitely strive to offer the best possible experience for all of our guests, and it sounds like we were not able to give that to you. Please know that we will share your feedback with our General Manager and our food and beverage staff to make them aware of your trip. We do appreciate your comments and hope that you will come and visit us again to give us another chance to win that fifth star back.

Kindest regards,
the Hyatt Place Austin Downtown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 8 February 2014

By far the nicest most friendly staff that have ever had at a hotel including the maids. We had a towel sculpture on our bed 2 of the 3 nights (a rabbit and a heart). The rooms are great with a sleeper sofa, comfortable bed and pillows. Very close to the convention center and 6th street. The free breakfast included breakfast sandwiches as well as fruit, and pastries. I felt very secure as well. You had to use your room key to get the elevator to work. I have another convention next month in Austin and immediately booked this hotel. This is the best hotel I have stayed in in Austin, maybe anywhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Place Austin Downtown, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Sherrie G:

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out a review on our property. Our staff receives many great comments, and we often see photos of some of the art that the housekeepers create...AMAZING.

We are glad to hear that you loved he location as well, we hope to see you on your next visit to our city.

Houston, United States
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Every member of the staff with whom we interacted was wonderful! The hotel was exceptionally clean, the free wifi was a great bonus, and we were very happy with our entire stay. Sam at the front desk was especially kind and welcoming. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Place Austin Downtown, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Katie A:

Thank you for the kind response to your recent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the staff and will be sure to share your recent review with them (especially Sam). Thank you so much for the great recommendation, we truly value what our guests think of the hotel.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to our great city.

Kindest regards
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I'll quickly say that the room was fine. Exactly what you'd expect from a Hyatt. What I want to talk about is the staff.

I organized a company soccer game, occurring AFTER we checked out of the hotel. We all had facilities in which to shower before getting on the plane home, but none of us had towels. The hotel trusted us to give us 14 towels with the promise that we would return them later. They did it without hesitation. They also found Tylenol for my friend with a headache and didn't charge.

We were there a week, and every time we entered or left there was a warm greeting and an offer to help with anything.

The only downside of the hotel is that the only parking is via valet. So you occasionally wait for your car, and you have to tip every time you get your car (well, you should). If you go in and out a lot, that can add up.

Very nice free breakfast every morning with lots of options. GREAT, GREAT, GREAT COFFEE. I wondered if it was legal.

I would absolutely stay again.

Green Features: They have that sign like all hotels seem to have these days: if you want your towel cleaned, leave it on the ground. If you want to save water, hang it up.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Scott M:

Well first off, I want to say how much I love the title of your review. We like to think of our staff as heroes as well, however it is fantastic to hear when our guests feel the same.

Sounds like you had quite the weekend with a soccer game to end it all, we are glad that we could help with your last minute request. Our staff is just amazing, they naturally just like to take care of our guests. We are extremely lucky.

And yes, the coffee is great and I assure you it is legal :)

Hope to see you on your next trip to our city.
The Hyatt Place Austin Downtown.
Aledo, United States
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed at Hyatt Place for a convention. It is a very close walk to the convention center and close to several great restaurants. The hotel staff is so friendly. The hotel restaurant has a good variety and the morning breakfast choices are great. There are many healthy options, not just waffles and pastries. I would love to stay at this hotel again!

Dear Karen H:

Thank you for your review on our hotel. We are glad to hear that you liked our location and the close proximity to the convention center. With the center being only a quick block walk away, our location is most ideal. Also, with all the great restaurants that are within walking distance, you really get to find some wonderful options.

We would love to see you return.
Kindest regards
The Hyatt Place Austin Downtown
Houston, United States
Reviewed 5 February 2014

From the moment I checked in until the moment I checked out, I had no problems at all with the Hyatt Place. The staff was ALL very nice and accommodating for absolutely anything I needed. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay somewhere in downtown Austin.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Place Austin Downtown, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Meredith S:

Thank you for the wonderful five star rating on our hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us and we hope we get to see you on your next trip to Austin. And also thank you for the recommendation, it is fantastic that you are spreading the word about our property.

Kindest regards,
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My experience was great. Excellent and friendly staff. Room was clean and smelled clean. The front desk staff was always trying to help. They continually addressed me by my name. Dining was great too!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Dear EGHD4:

We would like to thank you for the review you posted on your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you appreciated the cleanliness of your room and the friendliness of the staff. It would be with pleasure that we share your review with our staff.

Kindest regards and hope to see you again
The Hyatt Place Austin Downtown